Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:03 PM
wdl002
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Mark II BV, BRJ or a CZ Varmint

I am looking to buy a new bolt gun, and I have it narrowed down to these Three. I realy like the looks of the two Savage rifle but am not sure if the accuracy is comparable. I would like to here from some of you guys that might have both savage and CZ and here your opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Hardog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My savage Mark ok bv adulthood at 25 yds, beyond that with ALL kinds of ammo it was not good. I really should have sent it back to savage but just traded it for a 10/22 target model and it shoots e,silent with mini mags and a little low with an at 50 yard. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Hardog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Replace ok, adulthood and e,silent with II, WOULD NOT & EXCELLENT. darn kindle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 PM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like I better stick with the CZ if I interrupt the last reply correctly.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 9317BVSS was nothing but trouble. A neighbor bought a savage and it was fine. My Ruger American Predator gave me trouble and Ruger had to fix it by replacing the bolt. All my CZ 452s were flawless from the box. My Ruger 77/17 was fine too but I did get a bad 77/22 from the final production run. I don't have a 455 yet, but CZ is simply a cut above the rest in commonly available rimfire rifles in the $400 to $500 price range and was way better than the Ruger 77XX series when they started hitting $800 and could simply not compete with CZ for quality. I don't consider Savage, Marlin or Ruger American rifles in the same league as Ruger 77xx series rifles and CZs. Have you ever read a post from someone saying their CZ was a pile of junk? There are very, very, very few who have had a defective CZ. CZ actually still test fires ALL their rifles and if something is odd they pull them rather than sending them to the final consumer to test for them. My Savage couldn't make it through a 5 round clip without a misfire when new. I'm sure it wasn't test fired. Ever wonder why Big 5 and Dicks don't stock CZs? They are selling guns based on price not quality. rc
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Tough choice!

I have 2 great Savages Mark II fvsr And trrsr,my bv is back at Savage now over 30 days waiting for the barrel replacement to arrive.or the company to be sold ,who knows?my cz 453 varmint SST is the most accurate rimfire I own. So if I had to choose I’d say CZ . You’ll have to do a trigger job and deal with dovetail sights but there is good stuff out there , it’s just a little pricey and a pia to deal with but well worth it.Also because it’s a cz don’t go cheap on the glass , it’s like putting retreads on a bmw,it will work , but not worth the shame.

Now if you could find a used FV for 200 bucks,cheap rings $ 10 and a 10x 40 x Barska scope $ 100 would be apropos. Mine is dressed this way in its cheap little plastic stock, and when people see the tiny groups they will be impressed with your shooting skill not the gun.

But with a cz and a weaver , or other pricey scope, the littler groups ,will be attributed to the gun. You will just be the lucky sob that carried it to the range.

If you buy a Savage you can always dream about buying a cz,if you buy a cz the next step is rebarelling or is an anschutz and those are pretty steep steps . Especially if you get cz itus and buy every model 452 453 455 There is.

I’d say go with the cz target,cz rings and weaver quality target glass an atlas style bipod and a good rear squeeze bag and a case Of CCI Sv to start and boxes of Geco , ely LaGuardia Geco SK Norma etc to test . $1000. You will be happy.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 08-03-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Spellink
Old 08-03-2018, 08:04 PM
malice4you

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own the Mark II BRJ and my experience has been great with it. Mine loves Lapua Center X, which makes is a little pricey to feed, but it does reasonably well with RWS rifle target and a couple others in that kind of price range. I typically only shoot it at 100 yards, sub-1.5" groups easily, sub 1" groups often, and occasional sub-dime size groups if the moon, sun, and a few planets are aligned just so.

Mine has the Apachee trigger upgrade (set to ~12oz), DIP bottom metal, Harris benchrest bipod, Weaver bases and 6 hole rings, SWFA 16x42 MQ scope.

My other Savages (93R17TR and centerfire 10FCP-K) are also very accurate rifles when I do my part (and feed them their preferred ammo).

I would not hesitate to suggest a Savage to anyone...
Old 08-03-2018, 09:01 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Two Savage rimfires, many CZ 455s.

One stainless Savage BTVS that came in a laminate thumbhole stock. I had it rebarelled after trying a variety of things to get it to shoot. One Savage FV SR (significantly less expensive than the BTVS) in a plasti-stock shot pretty good out of the box. I have put the FV SR in the BTVS's original thumbhole stock . . . and bought an Apache trigger for it, but it is shooting so well that I haven't dropped it in yet. So, batting 50% on Savages, but the odds are good for the price. And the rebarrelled Savage BTVS shoots lights out and sits in a Boyd's laminate stock.

The CZ's had walnut and beech stocks, which I liked better than either of the Savage OEM stocks. To be honest, the CZs shot out of the box about the same for me as the factory Savage FV SR. True, the CZs cost more, but I like the ease of tinkering. The CZ trigger is easier to work on (maybe I am more used to it?) as is the bolt. The CZs' accuracy was also easily improved with the application of of mere cash (in the form of Lilja barrels).

Overall my Savages have a mildly lower build quality than my CZs, although I am sure some folks here will go the other way on that one. In terms of accuracy, if that's what your ultimate goal is, I'd go with the CZ. I say this not because the CZs are inherently more accurate -- I think sample to sample variation is going to hide a real answer to that question from any particular user (unless that shooter has a shot lot of different rifles of both brands). I say it because there are more user-friendly flangster-level smithing solutions available for the CZ platform than for the Savage. Overall the Savages are an amazing value, particularly if you get a shooter (which for me is running a 50-50 chance).
Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 PM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate all that replied, I am 69 years old, and looking to buy my last 22lr rifle. About 20 years ago I had a Ruger 77- 22 VBZ that after Randy a CPC got done with it would shoot in .2 to.3 range all day long with Lupa multi-match plus all day long. But like an idiot I traded it off and have regretted it ever since. I have a limited budget that is why I am not looking at an Anie. So I want this to be my final purchase with the best chance of success, I already have a nice Weaver for it so I think I will go with the CZ455 Varmint and hope never to look back.
Thanks to everyone for there honest opions

Daryl

Old 08-03-2018, 11:11 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You might want to hunt down a 452. I have both the 455 and 452. My preference is the 452.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 PM
rdssert
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have light and heavy barrel Savage's and Cz's. My advice, if you want a heavy barrel go Savage BV, BRJ or TR all have a laminated stock, and most shot very well. If you want a light barrel go with the CZ American 452 or 455, and most of these shoot very well. In my experience the Savage light barrel and the Cz heavy barrel are to big of a gamble if you are trying to narrow the odds in your favor.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:27 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
CZ Varmint will scratch your itch.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Daryl, I've got a 77/22 target 22LR and out of the box even my 452 trainer will shoot rings around it but it's not comfortable with a scope. My 452 American in 22 LR is an excellent shooter but doesn't hold as steady as the heavy barreled guns. I kick myself for not getting the 452 varmint in 22 LR when they were still available new. I may get a 455 one day just because I like the Tacticool set up. You might want to give that one a peek along with the 455 Varmint as a strict target shooting gun from the bench.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 08-04-2018, 03:59 PM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Daryl, I've got a 77/22 target 22LR and out of the box even my 452 trainer will shoot rings around it but it's not comfortable with a scope. My 452 American in 22 LR is an excellent shooter but doesn't hold as steady as the heavy barreled guns. I kick myself for not getting the 452 varmint in 22 LR when they were still available new. I may get a 455 one day just because I like the Tacticool set up. You might want to give that one a peek along with the 455 Varmint as a strict target shooting gun from the bench.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2&&FORM=VRDGAR
I think the 455 varmint is the way I will go, I just like traditional wood stocks, but I have no problem using the heavy barrel for hunting as well as off the bench. My other two hunting rifle are 700 BDL in 223 and a 22mag with a heavy 24inch Douglas barrel. The 77-22 VBZ Ihad I got used and the only thing done to it was a Dayton trigger, it's accuracy just mediocre, not untill CPC done his thing and I played with the bedding screws did it come alive. Well anyway I believe the CZ is the way to go. Thanks for your response and the vidios were very interesting.

Daryl

Old 08-04-2018, 05:47 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Savage makes a fine shooting rifle, generally they will shoot with the CZ or nearly so. But the design and quality of the bottom metal and bolt on the Savage are just not as good. I just can't warm up to Savage, I have tried, owned a few, they were good shooters, but I just prefer the CZ.