Has the Walther P22 platform been sufficiently debugged ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Has the Walther P22 platform been sufficiently debugged ?

Figured asking the people who already own them would be the ones to ask.

I am looking for a smallish 'kit pistol' and the P22 looks rather interesting. My current model fitting what I intend to supplant is an Erma Excam RX-22, a virtual clone of the Walther PPK. It fits my sweet spot of 'not too little or big' heavy enough to steady my sight picture without too much bulk. I've owned it since the mid 1980's and it is an old friend, many many miles carried, many many targets and a pretty good number of cottentails done in with it. Its still running strong.

But if the Erma decides to shat the bed - I am done. Long discontinued, I would probably have trouble finding replacement parts. So having a back up for it would be nice.

I have read of some issues (slides cracking) that may already be corrected in current design. In your opinion, is it worth it ?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:37 PM
mobenzowner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Got a p22 in about 3 months ago. Shot about 600 rounds thru it, of 4 different types of ammo. No failures of any kind. I cant speak for all of them, but mine works great.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
My buddy has one and I'm not a fan of it at all. I dont like the mag release and the slide is very sticky. I really like my suppressed S&W M&P 22 compact much better. It's a lil bigger but just feels much better. I would also look at the Ruger SR22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 05:23 PM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez956 View Post
I would also look at the Ruger SR22.
I have no firsthand experience with either gun, but from people at my club I've heard that the improved Walther P22 is the Ruger SR22.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 AM
Redcat94

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a P22 for several years. It's not the greatest pistol ever but I'm happy with it. Very reliable and I love the paddle magazine release.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1012017

My 2 cents on the new one. Oh so close to being 100% right out of the box. Actually for most folks it is 100% right out of the box. Lifetime warranty new or used. The only difference between the newest QD model and recent Q models is the captive recoil spring assembly and a de-cocking lever inside the breech block. The 5" barrel is more accurate than either of the other two... well under an inch at 25M but a Buckmark and MK series Ruger are more accurate still. I bought mine from KY Gun Co for $225 back when I did the thread above. The slide was reinforced beginning with the Q models in about 2011. I'm still iffy regarding the de-cocking lever...I prefer to cock the hammer with the safety on and move it to fire when I'm ready to fire. You cannot cock the new model unless the lever is set to fire. Ft Smith, Arkansas is the location of service.

The Ruger is good, just as complex inside if not more than the P22. Aluminum slide and the ones I've shot ran reliably. They have had a few issues back when introduced. Ruger stands behind their firearms.

I have yet to see a Smith compact with a good barrel, including the three I got from Smith. I've looked at a dozen or more in gun shops since and see the same crummy rifling. So, I'd suggest having a good look down the barrel before purchasing one. My last barrel was only good for 9" ten round groups at 21'. The full size is made by Walther and is accurate and runs fine....but it is a full size .22. The compact has an internal hammer that I don't like as much as the external hammers on the other two. None of them have a safety that operates as smoothly as a 1911. Walther's is slide mounted, flip forward....Ruger's is upside down and the Smith does not pivot in the proper spot....my thumb rests more on the pivot point rather than the safety but this isn't really important as these are plinkers. I found that the light slide on the Smith was the most forgiving regarding cycling just about any cheap ammo.....if only it shot straight. 1917
Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Thank all of you for your comments above . . .

. . . I went to Academy Sports to check it out, comparing it to the Ruger SR22. The size of both of them is what I was thinking of - compact but not too much. I prefer the Ruger's magazine release to the Walther, but prefer the Walther's price. This will require some more thought on my part.

Thank you again for comments - more if you have is appreciated.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the levers....once you get used to them they are excellent. The only little issue I have with that style of mag release in on a pistol like a P99. Put a 15 rounder in there and it takes quite a bit of finger pressure to release the mag when full. When empty....not so much. I also like a button but the problem I have with them is that on many pistols I simply can't reach it without shifting my grip on the pistol. I can reach the button on a Smith Shield and of course on a small .22....but not on many full size pistols. Both of the little pistols are fun. Amazing how durable these new polymers are also. There is a good and informative section on the SR22 up in the Ruger section as I'm sure you know. 1917
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Ive had both the sr22 and the Walter. I love the look and feel of the walther but that was all. The sr22 isnít bad for the price point. I think if I was looking for a smaller pistol Iíd find a short barreled mki. Good luck!
Iron
Old 07-22-2018, 06:48 PM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
walther p22

I disagree with your comment about finding parts for the Erma rx22. It is the same gun as the Iver johnson TP22 which I have in my collection. There are parts and parts guns on Gun Broker and at Gun Parts Corp. I like mine for what it is. I bought it because it is almost a clone of my Walther TPH. The Walther is my favorite small .22 pistol but I hesitate to recommend one based on some of the negative comments I have read on the Walther forum. Apparently I have been very lucky as both of my Walthers work 100% with CCI mini mags as does myPT22. Have fun with your search. Fraternally Dave
Old 08-10-2018, 07:35 PM
thomaston2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carl Walther was a high-quality gun maker prior to and after WW2. WW2 production was compromised by fast war production, some good, others rushed. Some years ago Walther was bought by UMAREX, a large sporting goods manufacturer and they left Carl Walther pretty much alone producing high-quality arms and precision 10M airguns They applied the Walther name to a lot of consumer grade products unrelated to Carl Walther. One being the P22 made by UMAREX to a tight price point.
The only thing about it that is Walther is the name. Early ones were lacking in quality to some degree, then improved as needed. It is not a bad gun now, just built to a lower price and in that one might find some inconsistencies in quality. Pay $225 or so and you simply will not get high quality but it may suit the purpose of a good plinker with a military look. they feel good to a variety of hands and I like the design but do not care for the way they are built.

Many famous names are now quite different as they change hands. Always use the Internet and look up a gun's history and current reputation. A little research, not the advice of a friend or dealer only may save you money down the road.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walther RF Pistols

I have to DISCLOSE !!! Our Company( Interarms ) is a Walther Service Center for the older Walther Pistols. I had a P22 that I bought several years ago and, it worked as I wanted it to work. Interarms has not received any P22 for repair. Walther is a Great Company with a Great standing in the Firearms Industry for MANY years.You can buy their products with confidence !!! - Alan Aronstein
Old 09-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Erma RX22 also Iver Johnson TP 22

Interarms has a good supply of parts for the above noted pistols. We also offer repairs on those pistols.- Alan Aronstein
Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM
ronnie948
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All it needed was a better ejector & spring

I bought an older P22 with a laser and four magazines for "CHEAP I mean really Cheap.
It had a problem ejecting the casing.
I ordered the ejector and spring from Tandom Cross and it was easy to install and now the gun shoots perfect all the time with not one single problem.
Ronnie
Old 09-20-2018, 08:41 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1st Gen Walther P22. Truth is.....recently I've had problems with it. I took some visitors from Australia out for a plinking session. They were happy just to be shooting. But, I was embarrassed by the "Jam-O-Matic Walther P22".

But.....
I think I've found the problem.

It's the ammo selection. Yup, the ammo makes the difference between a working pistol and one that doesn't work. I should have watched the YouTube videos and paid attention to what Walther had to say about ammo selection much earlier.

So then......
I won't buy CCI Mini Mags for this pistol. I figure that it's a, "plinker". So, why spend the money for higher priced ammo when I can use cheaper stuff at about $0.04 a round? Yup.....and brands matter. I've found that the plated ammo is sometimes finicky. i.e. Am Eagle and Fed. bulk boxed promo stuff. And, even some of my favorite 40 gr. lead 22LR cartridges won't work. So then, "What does work?"

Remington Golden Bullets
Remington Thunderbolt

Both are available in the 500 count (or slightly more) boxes. YES....some many call it [email protected]^* ammo. But, it works.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I thought that Interarms went out of business in the 90s?

Last edited by ma96782; 09-20-2018 at 08:59 PM.