Original and OEM mag fail to hold open (pic heavy) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:51 PM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Original and OEM mag fail to hold open (pic heavy)

I am trying to solve the glitch in my newly acquired 422 on why the hold open feature on the last shot fails to "hold open".
I have one original mag (OM) and 3 new Mdl 41 mag.s (OEM). They will all work properly -- with a little help.

Magazines:
[IMG][/IMG]
OM on left, OEM on right

Each mag. has a projection at the top of the spring to catch and engage the SHO catch. The OM has a small round pin, the OEM has a inclined catch that is the same height above the side of the OEM magazine to intercept the catch.
The OEM mag. The catch is highlighted with white out.
[IMG]
[/IMG]
OM (l) OEM (r)
[IMG][/IMG]

When an empty magazine is inserted into the pistol, the catch fails to catch the front pin/catch of either magazine.
OM mag:
[IMG][/IMG]
OM mag:
[/IMG]
OEM mag:
[IMG][/IMG]

Placing the slide Manually into the LSF open position, the catch will move upward and catch the front of the OM and/or OEM mag. pin.
OM:
[IMG][/IMG]
The catch actually drops a fraction of an inch to drop into place.
OEM:
[IMG][/IMG]

My question at this point, as I have not disassembled the pistol, is it possible the spring hidden by the side plate is just not strong enough to move the catch completely down upon the side of the magazine upon insertion of the slide to properly activate the hold open on last shot fired.

I hope my descriptive terms are not to confusing. I also apologize for not disassembling the side plate to actually take a picture of the trigger spring which in one source indicated it assisted in moving the stop open catch properly in place as the magazine spring rises with each shot fired until the last one enters the chamber, which at this time, the catch should acquire the magazine stop pin.

VH
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
All that I can contribute is that I had this issue from time to time with my Beretta 87 Cheetah. The culprit was that the hold open catch within the frame of the gun would get dirty and sluggish.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I will check out You Tube and watch the video I found on disassembly/reassembly and dig into it. I have used powder blast, etc., it may be something interrupting movement of the catch.

VH