CZ527 Hornet to K-Hornet - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:50 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
CZ527 Hornet to K-Hornet

I have a CZ527 American in .22 Hornet that I would very much like to have re-chambered for .22 K-Hornet. I realize that requires removing the barrel for the re-chambering, so my questions are 1) how difficult is barrel removal on this rifle? 2) is there a 'smith in my area (eastern PA) who could be recommended to do the work?

Doug
Old 04-18-2018, 05:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Hey Doug sir I will be watching this also.

SM
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quite possibly it can be done with the barrel in place, not familiar with the 457 but I did a lot of this years ago with Savage bolt guns and a few single shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 PM
92lowrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
It does not require barrel removal if you have a long extension handle for the reamer and it can be done by hand no machine necessary for this conversion. Check eBay for reamer handle and rent a reamer from 4-D reamer rentals and do it yourself
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Depending on the brand of reamer you may be able to use an 8 or 12 point socket and an extension.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
It certainly can be done without removing the barrel, but I wouldn’t consider doing so ideal. I much prefer removing it and using a lathe, but I understand if you don’t want to go to the trouble. I also wouldn’t assume the magazine will feed the K-Hornets perfectly without modification or tuning. A friend rechambered his 527 to .17 AH and never got the Hornet magazine to feed well. He ended up just using the Calhoun SS adapter, although he was not known for his persistence
TBR
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I want to try re-chambering with a reamer and hand tools. It might work out fine, but as I'm sorta OCD, well... I'll ponder this further, and ask around about a good 'smith. I may end up just letting it be (at least that's what the Beatles recommended ).

Doug
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I want to try re-chambering with a reamer and hand tools. It might work out fine, but as I'm sorta OCD, well... I'll ponder this further, and ask around about a good 'smith. I may end up just letting it be (at least that's what the Beatles recommended ).

Doug
For what it's worth, I think that is a wise choice. They use lathes to chamber barrels for a reason.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 PM
captaint
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Then, there's a Charlie (I think) Hart in Nescopeck. That's not far from the Northeast Extension and Rt 80. He makes & sells benchrest barrels & bullets - and many other things, I guess.... I'd certainly have no problem sending some work his way..
Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 PM
gkcs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would never consider chambering/rechambering in any other way than properly set up and bore centered (at both ends) in a lathe. Echoing others here of course. Might be interesting also to see how well CZ cut their std chamber.

The other point is what is your reason for K'ing? The only reason I would consider doing a K is for better headspacing - off a proper shouder instead of a rim. Velocity gains aren't the driver these days with powders like Lil'Gun. Just interested, not trying to bend your decision
Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 PM
mmpsteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My question would be, how does it shoot right now? I started to re-chamber an expensive Marlin 32 H&R magnum to .327 mag, that already shot real well, and then got scared I might mess it up. Then Henry came out with the .327 lever action, and my path was clear. You're not going to get that kind of break with the 22K, but how does it shoot?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpsteve View Post
My question would be, how does it shoot right now? I started to re-chamber an expensive Marlin 32 H&R magnum to .327 mag, that already shot real well, and then got scared I might mess it up. Then Henry came out with the .327 lever action, and my path was clear. You're not going to get that kind of break with the 22K, but how does it shoot?
The gain with the K-Hornet is not solely accuracy or velocity, it is case life.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcs View Post
I would never consider chambering/rechambering in any other way than properly set up and bore centered (at both ends) in a lathe. Echoing others here of course. Might be interesting also to see how well CZ cut their std chamber.

The other point is what is your reason for K'ing? The only reason I would consider doing a K is for better headspacing - off a proper shouder instead of a rim. Velocity gains aren't the driver these days with powders like Lil'Gun. Just interested, not trying to bend your decision
A piloted reamer will follow the bore.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:24 AM
gkcs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dummy View Post
A piloted reamer will follow the bore.
Piloted reamer is a given no matter what method is used.
Lathe method is still my choice.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:21 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
why is the only logical conclusion here is that, someone needs to buy a 527 in 223 Remington?