Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Mossberg 38/357 lever action rifle

OK guys I just went to the Shot Show in Las Vegas and was asked to talk with Mossberg about them making a lever action rifle in 38/357 magnum...sorry to say they have no plans at this time to make one.

Signalman
Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Lastshot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No surprise there. They are just marginally into the Lever action game. I would tell them to die in head first or get out of the pool. This half way stuff generally just loses you money.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
OK guys I just went to the Shot Show in Las Vegas and was asked to talk with Mossberg about them making a lever action rifle in 38/357 magnum...sorry to say they have no plans at this time to make one.
Is there a big enough market to justify their tooling costs? Is 38/357 taking over the CAS shooting game? I think not. Anyone hunting w/ their 357 levergun? Not in any significant numbers. Urban preppers rushing out to buy a levergun in a side-arm matching caliber? Not in Free America; the 9mm AR has that market sewn up.

No business model = no production. I don't blame Mossberg a bit; unless Remington (finally) completely drives Marlin into the dust, and Henry doesn't step up to fill the void, there's just no market niche labeled "38Spcl/357Mag" big enough to sustain their effort.

30-30 & 22lr leverguns sell enough that it made sense to compete in that area, but they don't even make a 22WMR version, despite how trivial the changes to their 22lr version would be, so that gives you an idea of the relative sizes of the market & the needed volumes to convince them to undertake adding another model. And there's WAY more 22wmr shooters out there than there are folks dreaming about long guns in pistol calibers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 01:40 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
A nice 16" lever in 38/357 ~ 327 Fed Mag option sure should out sell that funky tactical lever they make . Seems there' always guys looking for a short bbl'd 38/357 lever . I grabbed the Henry 327 fed Mag lever as soon as i could find one .love it ~~JMJ~~