Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:38 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (104)
Removing Finish from Barrel Seat

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the factory finish from the barrel seat on a 10/22 without damaging anything ? I have a receiver here that has quite a bit on the top half of the barrel seat and none on the bottom, this maybe a non-issue but it just doesn't look right to me.

BARREL SEAT.JPG (118.9 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BARREL SEAT.JPG (118.9 KB, 544 views)

Last edited by cznut; 12-23-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:28 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
does the barrel sit in the receiver straight?

I'd be more concerned in how the barrel sits in the receiver, before worrying about the amount of finish on it
Old 12-23-2017, 08:12 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (104)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
does the barrel sit in the receiver straight?

I'd be more concerned in how the barrel sits in the receiver, before worrying about the amount of finish on it
Yes its straight left to right but I cant help but think this would cause the barrel to point downward, and I have picked up on this from shooting the rifle, its not real bad but with a centered optic it impacts abot 4" low at 25 yards. maybe I am wrong here but that finish at 12 o clock above the barrel hole is thick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
can you measure to see if the top of the barrel is parallel with the scope base?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:55 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (104)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
can you measure to see if the top of the barrel is parallel with the scope base?
Not at the moment, I sold the original barrel and am going to replace it. Just looking to see if there is a way to remove the finish or paint or whatever it is without damaging the barrel seat, I know CPC cleans this up when they do a barrel setback.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:58 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I highly doubt that paint is causing all of the 4" at 25 yards. I do understand what you are getting at,and your feeling that the .002 difference between the top and bottom of the mounting "ring" is causing the barrel to "droop" down.

I do notice a bare spot near the upper portion. Take a razor blade, and carefully see if you can use that area to scrape the paint off. Be careful, soft aluminum lies beneath. I really don't think that is your issue though. If you must remove that paint, there are methods, but do not remove any metal.

Check your sight or scope first..

Let us know how you make out
Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry. To answer your question, carefully use a razor blade to lift anything that is loose. I see several areas that will flake with the blade.

Then tape the receiver off well, and try some lacquer thinner to soften or loosen the rest. Keep in mind, it will damage any finish if left on too long. It will not damage the aluminum. Then back to the blade, and repeat.

There are paint strippers that can be used on aluminum as well.

If you are extremely careful, you can lightly sand ( 400 grit) the top portion of the ring until it is obvious that the paint has thinned considerably, then use the lacquer thinner to remove the faint residual amount.

Resist the temptation to remove it all by sanding. You will more than likely take some aluminum with it, and be no better off than you are now.

Easy does it
Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (104)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
I highly doubt that paint is causing all of the 4" at 25 yards. I do understand what you are getting at,and your feeling that the .002 difference between the top and bottom of the mounting "ring" is causing the barrel to "droop" down.

I do notice a bare spot near the upper portion. Take a razor blade, and carefully see if you can use that area to scrape the paint off. Be careful, soft aluminum lies beneath. I really don't think that is your issue though. If you must remove that paint, there are methods, but do not remove any metal.

Check your sight or scope first..

Let us know how you make out
The low POI may not be caused by the finish but I bet it is part of it, I have a Gunsmither block to which I will use when I install the new barrel that should help some
Old 12-23-2017, 10:37 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cznut View Post
The low POI may not be caused by the finish but I bet it is part of it, I have a Gunsmither block to which I will use when I install the new barrel that should help some
the thickness of the paint between the receiver and the scope base is probably throwing things off more than the paint at the barrel seat

and who knows, your replacement barrel may not even exhibit the same issues

just get the Gunsmither block in case you need it
Old 12-23-2017, 10:47 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
Just crunching the math:
  • Using CCI SV as the ammo, drop from a horizontal barrel at 50 yards is 4 inches, or roughly 2 inches at 25 yards.
  • Assuming that the distance between the bottom of top and bottom of the barrel contact area is 0.920", and the thickness difference is 0.002", then the "droop" would cause the barrel to point down 1.957" at 25 yards.

If the optic is centered on the elevation scale, then the drop would equal 2" + 1.957" + the distance above the bore the center of the optic is mounted (so more than 4" total).

My guess is that the paint thickness is less than 0.002", but 0.002" would have some effect at 25 yrds (~8 MOA).

NOTE: The bullet drop and the distance between the optic and bore alone would likely make up the full 4 inchs.

Last edited by rawhp; 12-23-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:10 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Xacto knife

The larger size Xacto knife w/flat edge blade would be much easier to control than a
standard razor blade for scraping. It's about 7/16-1/2" wide if I recall correctly.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 12-24-2017, 06:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You could try 600 grit sandpaper paper on the end of a socket then put an extension through the receiver gently pull on it as you rotate it..yep..it's crude, and not very professional but it would square it up if the fit is good.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tape around the opening with painters tape. Use Acetone on a large cleaning patch wrapped on a flat piece of wood or smooth steel like a sanding block. A few swipes and all paint will be removed. No grinding sanding etc required. May take a couple of applications but the paint will come off easily.

WARNING : Acetone evaporates very quickly and is HIGHLY flammable. No sparks,, open flame near use. Good ventilation doesn't hurt.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Surly
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cznut View Post
Yes its straight left to right but I cant help but think this would cause the barrel to point downward, and I have picked up on this from shooting the rifle, its not real bad but with a centered optic it impacts abot 4" low at 25 yards. maybe I am wrong here but that finish at 12 o clock above the barrel hole is thick.
If your theory is correct, you should be able to make a shim with some masking tape for the lower portion of the barrel. Shoot it with said shim and compare.

I'm of the opinion that you should just leave well enough alone and adjust your optic and be done with it.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:16 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
this is just another reason I like to use the anodized billet receivers offered by the aftermarket over the Ruger stuff