Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:14 AM
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Improving Accuracy Of RAR Rifle For $0.96

Ruger American RF owners, if you are still unable to receive good accuracy from you .22 LR, then you might try the following: ( for hardwood stocks)

1. Go to your local Walmart or Hardware Store and buy a pack of #8 “Flat Washers”. The brand I purchased was Bulldog Hardware.

2. Remove the bolt and magazine from your rifle and set aside.

3. With a proper hex wrench loosen the FRONT stock screw, but do not remove just loosen enough so the barrel moves around in the channel.

4. Next, remove the trigger guard screws and remove the guard from the stock setting aside.

5. Turn the rifle over and take ONE #8 washer and place it over the middle screw hole, then replace the trigger guard and the middle screw and the rear screw.

6. Return the barreled action to your stock and evenly tighten both front and middle screws, replace the rear screw too.

7. When you tighten both screws evenly, once again loosen the front stock forearm screw and you should not feel and movement then re-tightening that screw.

Your barrel will still be fully floating and the excessive pressure taken off the action, which I found is common on this rifle. Then shoot your rifle to see if this improved your accuracy. I did this to my own Ruger American .22 LR and the accuracy improved quite a bit. Cost of performing this improvement cost me 96 cents, plus 15 minutes to install the washer.

Last edited by DRS; 11-29-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very interesting DRS. I would be interested in trying this but am wondering how much improvement you are talking about. Such as group size at 50 yds before and after.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
I would love to see a visual of this. Pics please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Ruger American RF owners, if you are still unable to receive good accuracy from you .22 LR, then you might try the following: ( for hardwood stocks)

1. Go to your local Walmart or Hardware Store and buy a pack of #8 “Flat Washers”. The brand I purchased was Bulldog Hardware.

2. Remove the bolt and magazine from your rifle and set aside.

3. With a proper hex wrench loosen the FRONT stock screw, but do not remove just loosen enough so the barrel moves around in the channel.

4. Next, remove the trigger guard screws and remove the guard from the stock setting aside.

5. Turn the rifle over and take ONE #8 washer and place it over the middle screw hole, then replace the trigger guard and the middle screw and the rear screw.

6. Return the barreled action to your stock and evenly tighten both front and middle screws, replace the rear screw too.

7. When you tighten both screws evenly, once again loosen the front stock forearm screw and you should not feel and movement then re-tightening that screw.

Your barrel will still be fully floating and the excessive pressure taken off the action, which I found is common on this rifle. Then shoot your rifle to see if this improved your accuracy. I did this to my own Ruger American .22 LR and the accuracy improved quite a bit. Cost of performing this improvement cost me 96 cents, plus 15 minutes to install the washer.
I'm trying to picture this and understand why it would be any different from just loosening the front screw to a lesser torque.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Bimmer74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't get it, either...

Is the point to place the washer so that the front of the action (and barrel) are raised a bit out of the stock? That makes sense, but I'm not sure how putting the washer on the bottom of the stock would help.

Or are you simply loosening and re-torqing the action screws? That makes sense, too, but I don't know what the washer is for...

I'm genuinely curious, because I'm picking up a 8358 next week, and I'm pretty sure the barrel will not yet be free floating. (My 8336's barrel didn't float, and I hogged out the barrel channel.)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:51 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Read this earlier and also am confused. I own and shoot a RAR, specifically a standard purchased a few years ago. It has a synthetic stock the triggerguard/stock is one piece. The barrel is fully free floated. I know Ruger has released wood stock versions and plan on obtaining a target bull barreled model. Every RAR I have looked at had full free floating barrels, including wood stocked SS and target.
You cannot just loosen the front action screw then lift the action out or up enough to insert a washer in the back action mounting, even if you did the action block seating is curved.
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1918 kB) RAR action blocks in a Boyds stock.
Boyds laminated wood and RAR standard stocks. KM

Last edited by mwagon; 11-29-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Not positive but I think he is referring to a third middle screw that is not an action screw. That's why I would like a picture. Hard to visual or explain somethings.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only action screws (2), are in front and behind the magazine KM
Old 11-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Being that the action is mounted on a v-block I don't see how a washer would make a difference where he said it would be placed. The only changes I can possibly imagine is the torque changing the harmonics. But oh well if it works for him great.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:17 AM
DaleSalmon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sanded out the barrel channel if my buddy's RAR Target. Made a world of difference. Then we cut the trigger spring a cool or two.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am sorry, guys, as I should have been more clear, with my post. The small washer size #8 is placed onto the stock (hardwood stock)where the middle screw is installed. Then replace the trigger guard with both screws associated with this part. The front stock screw, which was just loosen, should be tighten as you tighten the middle screw both evenly. Then to check to see if one washer will work (mine only required one washer) what you do then is after both middle and third screws are tighten, once again loosen the stock screw (the one supporting the barrel) and it should not spring out of the barrel channel of the wood stock. I found that when Ruger made these hardwood stocks for the little R.A.R. .22 rifle, they didn't do such a great fitting or bedding job. Now, if you want to reduce pressure by loosening the middle screw, try this and see if your accuracy. I did this but after using and carrying the rifle while hunting or just plinking at targets, the middle screw worked loose, which affected the accuracy. This is when I decided to try to relieve the pressure by using a #8 washer, which seems to work fine. My 50 yard groups shrank from an average of 1.5" to <.50 @ 50 yards, using CCI or Winchester .22 LR ammunition. There is no harm done to the rifle or stock by doing this. One thing I can't figure out is why Ruger hollowed out the forearm of the stock?? They should have fitted their rimfire rifle with a regular stock without leaving a void in the forearm. Hope this make my post/thread a little clearer.

Last edited by DRS; 11-30-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:02 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagon View Post
Read this earlier and also am confused. I own and shoot a RAR, specifically a standard purchased a few years ago. It has a synthetic stock the triggerguard/stock is one piece. The barrel is fully free floated. I know Ruger has released wood stock versions and plan on obtaining a target bull barreled model. Every RAR I have looked at had full free floating barrels, including wood stocked SS and target.
You cannot just loosen the front action screw then lift the action out or up enough to insert a washer in the back action mounting, even if you did the action block seating is curved.
You can't perform this fix, using a #8 washer, on a R.A.R. that has a synthetic stock. My Ruger has a hardwood stock.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:11 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Very interesting DRS. I would be interested in trying this but am wondering how much improvement you are talking about. Such as group size at 50 yds before and after.
My group size @ 50 yards went from on average of 1.5" to < .50". I didn't use any match grade ammunition just CCI mini-mags & Winchester Super-X long rifle ammo. Ruger did a poor job in fitting their hardwood stock to the barreled action, but there is an easy fix using this #8 washer. This washer relieves the downward pressure on the action. There is no harm to your rifle, if you aren't still receiving accuracy after placing the #8 flat washer between the stock and trigger guard, it can always be removed. However if this doesn't improve your accuracy then some other bedding issues is the problem.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:35 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
My group size @ 50 yards went from on average of 1.5" to < .50". I didn't use any match grade ammunition just CCI mini-mags & Winchester Super-X long rifle ammo. Ruger did a poor job in fitting their hardwood stock to the barreled action, but there is an easy fix using this #8 washer. This washer relieves the downward pressure on the action. There is no harm to your rifle, if you aren't still receiving accuracy after placing the #8 flat washer between the stock and trigger guard, it can always be removed. However if this doesn't improve your accuracy then some other bedding issues is the problem.
Thanks for the update DRS. Mine has a synthetic stock and shoots cci cphp 5/8" at 50 yards pretty consistently.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Thanks for the update DRS. Mine has a synthetic stock and shoots cci cphp 5/8" at 50 yards pretty consistently.
GREAT! I am beginning to think that RAR with synthetic stocks are better in the accuracy department than their hardwood stocks. However, I can't get use to synthetics. ~just old fashion I guess.