Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RAR in Stainless - Used Story

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (4560 kB)

While working on my single shot tray for the 10/22 and RAR, I met a guy that had this SS. He was having accuracy issues with it, and had gone down the route of diagnosting it even to the point of sanding out the stock so the barrel free floated. He was just unable to get any decent accuracy out of it... think over 3" groups at 50yd.

This rifle seemed to have a lot of feeding issues with my sled and tray designs, so for me the action itself was worth purchasing, so knowing it had issues I purchased the rifle anyway.

After using it to complete my designs, I figured I'd mess around with it a bit to see what I could find. I saw immediately that the bolt was nowhere nearly as well machined as my other RAR bolts. The face on the bolt has very clear machining marks, and the bottom of the bolt, directly opposite the slot for the firing pin has a ridge that looks like it was just not milled off. The rest of the rifle looks fine.

I decided I'd go to the range and collect my own accuracy data. Well, at 50yrs I'm getting sub 1" groups even on a swirling windy day. I trust the diagnostics of the guy I purchased it from... he's a solid shooter. He tried multiple ammo options too. I know he pulled out the blade safety during diagnostics, so that means he removed and re-torqued the action screws. I'm at a loss as to what could have been causing the issue other than maybe defective glass he had mounted to it.

So... I've got a rifle I didn't think would shoot for anything that I only purchased as part of product development that now is my new project gun. Win!

I'm still going to send the bolt in to see what Ruger has to say. I'm also looking at some stock options. I REALLY like Kirby999's post with is Gray Boyd's, but given it's a SS I think I want to stick with an all-weather solution. I look forward to posting back as I get into this build and when I get an answer back from Ruger regarding the bolt.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kinda expect some quality snafus on entry priced machine work. All done by machine with only QC folks inspecting. Interesting findings so far, info is appreciated!

Have my own version of single feed RAR tray, no where near as well developed as yours, and at the back of the work table for now. Looks very interesting to me. KM

PS: Just checked out 47 Products, thanks! KM

Last edited by mwagon; 11-20-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MDT's LSS chassis is about as 'all weather' as it gets......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Soxxpuppet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman22 View Post
Lol Very true!

OP Congrats on getting the gun and having it shoot Sub-MOA. There are so many different factors that have to get crossed off to determine that "The gun doesnt shoot" and 3" @ 50 yards is Decent if your shooting iron's. With a scope it is completely unacceptable. No matter what kind of ammo you throw thru it.

Last edited by Soxxpuppet; 11-20-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 AM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks on the kudos for the sled... It was a lot harder to design well than I thought it would be. Especially when I learned that just because it works in my 10/22s and RARs it didn't mean it work in all of them. I had a group of 13 guys in the US and 2 in Australia that got pre-release versions. Their feedback helped me a TON.

3" using irons I agree, but this guy was shooting through glass, and he's a VERY good competition shooter. He's one of the guys that has a few competition wins shooting off my shooting tray, so I trust his ability to pull the trigger.

When I went to the range, I had zero expectations, so it was a HUGE win when I started smacking the paper and seeing the groups. I'd love to get out to the range again, but the Ohio weather has just not cooperated, and the closest indoor range is quite a drive from my middle-of-nowhere burg.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:57 AM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman22 View Post
I was just looking at those yesterday trying to come up with a way to convince myself tossing a $200 rifle in a $350 stock made sense. I just can't justify it, and I'm REALLY GOOD at mental gymnastics at times.

I'll likely just go with a decent after-market composite.

I sure wish that the RAR was like the 10/22 for barrel attachment. I'd love to be able to swap in a bull barrel on one of my other RARs.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Unfortunately there are no composite aftermarket stocks for the RAR. The only stocks I've found for them is MDT, Boyd's, or Revolution.

I guess I should have kept that one.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Soxxpuppet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Unfortunately there are no composite aftermarket stocks for the RAR. The only stocks I've found for them is MDT, Boyd's, or Revolution.

I guess I should have kept that one.
Can you buy a factory one used?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm really not a fan of the composite factory furniture, at all. I get that it's built to a price point, but there is so much flex in it that any bi-pod you put on the front deflects the stock into the barrel.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Soxxpuppet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charon79m View Post
I'm really not a fan of the composite factory furniture, at all. I get that it's built to a price point, but there is so much flex in it that any bi-pod you put on the front deflects the stock into the barrel.
Understandable, I know exactly where your coming from. A hogue stock would be a really nice option.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, Hacker! I don't know how I missed your post earlier.

So, I went back to the range 2 more times with this rifle and saw the issues he was having. I also had some odd gas blowback at me with some HV ammo, which I found very odd. Because of this, I decided to contact Ruger.

They listened to my issues. At first they tried suggesting that I try more ammo, since I said I knew for certain one of the gas blow-back instances happened with CCI 36gr HP mini-mags. Once I told them that I'd tried about a dozen different rounds and was seeing the accuracy issue, and that I was sure that other HV rounds had produced the gas blowback, they agreed to have me send it to them.

I sent it back a couple weeks ago, but I've not gotten a response yet. I'll try to remember to update this thread once I get an answer.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a notice that I had a package from Ruger headed my way. I gave them a quick call and here's the update.

They found that the bolt was defective and have replaced it. Um... yup.

So, my guess is that the blow by gasses I was experiencing was due to poor head spacing. Does that seem right to you all?

Anyway, I see range time in my future. I'll post an update once that's done.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:51 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got my RAR back today. Unboxing treated me to the beautiful bouquet of a machine shop.

Sure enough, I've got a pristine bolt now. It looks very well machined, like my other RAR. I checked over the rest of my rifle and nothing else was changed.

They did include a silicone impregnated rag in the box when sending it back. Nice touch.

As soon as the weather cooperates, I'll get out to the range and put some lead through paper to see if anything has improved.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, I thought I'd updated this thread but I failed.

I got the rifle back from Ruger, tossed the same optic on it, and headed to the range. I saw the same drift I'd seen before, a couple good rounds and then 3" away in random directions. I tried all sorts of different rounds with no change.

Saddened, I just tossed the rifle in my safe and chalked it up to a good conversation piece for down the road.

Fast forward to a couple weeks back. Tired of being asked to build a sled for the Savage MkII like I did for the 10/22/RAR, I finally relented and ordered one. Since I was getting a new rifle, it's the perfect time to get new glass too. When it all came in, I decided to move the glass from the RAR over to the MkII and put the new scope on the RAR. Before I did that, I pulled the rail, degreased everything, and locked it all down.

I headed out to the range and did some grouping. Both the MkII and the RAR were grouping around 1.5" at 50yd. Not really all that good, but an improvement for the RAR and since the MkII was brand new, I chalked that up to break-in.

As the session went on, plinking away on steel with the RAR (I'm doing some testing on a new filament material with my Mall Rat Sled), it felt like I just couldn't miss. I've got a Know Your Limits target from Rodney Downs of the Long Range Shooters of Utah and 22 Marksman Challenge Groups... so I started running that thing at 50... not an easy task. After a while, I felt it was time that I got how well the RAR was shooting on video...

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/8zwtyIb5d2o

Well, needless to say, I'm very happy with how this rifle is shooting now. I'm embarrassed that I didn't check the mount before, but I knew for a fact that the bolt was machined improperly, so that's just where my focus was from day one. Oh well....

Also, 2 days later, I went back to the range with the Savage MkII to test out the single shot sled for it.... I ran the KYL target twice in a row with that rifle on a day with 15-20mph winds too! Unfortunately no video nor witnesses of that feat... but it was impressive enough to me that I ordered a spotting scope and mount for my camera for it. Next time... next time.

Last edited by charon79m; 04-24-2018 at 10:58 PM.