Savage BRJ Owners - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Savage BRJ Owners

I have a quick question for you...I am looking at three different rim fire rifles and one of them is a BRJ...how do you like it and if you had to do it all over again would you. Pictures and or stories would help sway me into getting one.

Thanks for your input.

Signalman
Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
$50 rebate as I recall, jump on one.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 AM
TeeJay56
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of the Savage Mark II heavy barrels are pretty similar. Your satisfaction with it would depend on mainly 2 things: your accuracy expectations and luck of the draw with their quality control. I have a very accurate BTVSS, as some do but there are others who ended up with less than average accuracy for a $400 rifle. Mine shoots just over 1 moa at 100 yards on a good day with a tuner and bedding. Some folks here can't get 2" groups at 50 yards with a Mark II.

All of their guns are bored and rifled with the same process. Sometimes the conditions produce a rough bore with bad crown and tight spots but it appears that they do not have an effective honing, inspection or testing procedure, as the higher end rifles do.

Depending on how much you shoot, you can expect failure to fire and failure to extract issues. I have had both starting at about 5000 rounds. I have replaced the firing pin and bolt spring with free warranted parts. The extractors are next.

No matter what, they do have excellent customer service and stand behind their products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
I have a quick question for you...I am looking at three different rim fire rifles and one of them is a BRJ...
Out of curiosity, what are the other two you are considering?

I have a BTVLSS that is a very good shooter but no one can guarantee the accuracy of any given rifle until the price point gets very high and even then it's a bit of a crap-shoot. So, pick a maker with known good customer service like Ruger or Savage.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you considered the KSA 722 Varmint?
Old 11-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Flyguy65
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Quality

I may have been lucky the when it comes to the 5 Savages I purchased or maybe they are the best out of the box shooters as they have been dubbed by a lot of reputable sources. I am capable of shooting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with bulk ammo with my Mark IIs. If I spent more on some match grade ammo I may get more from them but in any case the weakest link in the chain is me and not the rifle.

As for will you like the BRJ? As posted above, the Mark II with the Heavy Barrel is the same in the BRJ, as it is in the BV, BVTLSS......etc. Any of their laminate stocks are excellent so then it comes down to what feels right to you.

Without knowing your budget, I know a lot of folks like the feel of the Boyds pro-varmint stock. So if you are thinking about going with something like that, get the Mark II FV with the heavy barrel. Currently it is $198.00 with a $50 dollar rebate so the net would be $148.00. then spend the $137 for the Boyds stock. That comes out to $285. You will have to buy the bottom metal for an additional $40 but for call it $350 total all in. The BRJ or Boyds Pro-Varmint stock are both excellent choices. I Just bought a Boyds for my FVSR which again has delivered 1/2 inch accuracy @50.

Last edited by Flyguy65; 11-18-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Clarifying specific points
Old 11-18-2017, 05:31 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't figure out why you guys like these Boyds stocks. Right in front of the front pillar on my BVTLSS (RJ) it is stamped 'Boyds' and there is a lot of stock missing around the pillars. I did pillar bed it, but so far I can't get anything under 1" (and usually more with no consistent grouping) at 50 yds. Considering sending it back to see if they can do anything with it. Luckily, I have a Rem 513T that shoots near single holes at that distance and with most ammo. The better ammo give less fliers as near as I can tell. I probably should have gone with one of their cheaper MKII models but this one was near the cheapest at Bud's for the MKII in SS. The 513T cost me about the same ($370+s&h), but I had to do some work on it. It looks great now. I'm not enamored yet.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Flyguy65
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boyds makes a nice stock

I understand that a Boyds stock is not for everyone. I have had great success with Boyds stocks. So while you may have an issue with yours, I don't necessarily see that as an indictment of every Boyds stocks.

I have seen negative posts about Ruger's, Savage's, Marlin's, Remington's etc but that only means someone had a bad experience. I believe you when you say the boyds stock has not helped or even hurt your rifles accuracy but they have been great in my experience . Like everything else it can be more than the stock itself. It could be action screw torque, trigger, ammo, barrel harmonics, sight picture etc.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:35 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I've owned several Savage rifles over the last fifty years. I've never had a bad one. In fact, all of them were great shooters. Most of them were center fire, but I've had two rimfires and one of them is the BRJ. The BRJ is very, very accurate with the right ammo being used. I have a private range of 114 yards and I can shoot five shot groups with this gun that are just a bit over 1" on a very regular basis. I like the gun but I don't use it as much as I should. I probably shoot a box of shells a summer out of it at woodchucks and that's about all it gets used. If I had to do it all over, I'd simply buy another barrel for my CZ 455 in .22mag and just switch barrels instead of having another gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22mag 7-22-13 001.JPG (108.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We've seen in your other thread that you have a defective barrel. It's junk. I don't know why you still haven't just gotten it taken care of with Savage.

With a barrel like that you can't say that Boyds is causing you trouble any more than you can say your tires are crap because they slip every time you floor it in a 3000hp car.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I got a piece of junk. I agree with most of what this guys says. But yes there's something wrong with mine. http://www.portercalls.com/savage_ma...vlss__22lr.htm

Still considering just selling it and sticking to the 513T which does shoot bugholes with almost any ammo. I just wanted something a bit different in the closet to play with. And actually I've got a Savage 112 model J in 220 Swift which works great.

I thought the Boyds stocks are somewhat over rated, given the one for the MKII appears to be made for many different models. There's a lot of missing material in it which could have been done correctly on a CNC machine if that's how they make them. Get what you pay for.

I do see that some have good results with these guns, I just got the strange one. But when you put out your money and get a piece of junk why not be disappointed? Now I've got to spend more to get it fixed, perhaps. I doubt I'd buy another.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 AM
TeeJay56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They make some good stocks but the one in this model Savage is not one of them! I know from experience. Savage sells the gun with thin little bottom plate that bends at 12 in lbs of torque so the the action walks all over the place. First you replace that bottom plate with an 1/8" SS one and try to get 15 to 20 in lbs on your action screws. It still won't hold torque because there is nothing except air and a tooth pick's worth of wood between the plate and the barrel lug. You have to add pillars to keep the wood from crushing even at modest screw torque.

I don't know who owns this design but in my opinion it fails to meet expectations. TJ