Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:31 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How many 41's do you own?

Curious to know how many you own and what years they are. There is a reason for me asking and it's actually NOT to find out how many you own.

Thanks to all who answer.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:43 PM
mauiblue

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just one Model 41 I own. It was made in 2008. Awesome shooter. I'm not a collector so I shoot it as often as I can.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Kahuna

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also own just one SW Model 41 which I purchase new (as a very poor at the time college student) back in 1981. Still love to shoot it, but I only drag it out to a range with me every other year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 12:10 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, well the reason I ask is because I wanted to speak (preferably on the phone) with someone who had early model 41's, like back in the mid to late 80's and mid to late 70's and could compare his to mine. I purchased a 1978 41 from GB and on the site it looked fantastic. After receiving it today the barrel is a cloudy type blue with some streaks in the bluing that will not come out. When I shine a flashlight on the bluing the barrel actually appears to have a brown hue while the slide and frame have a deep blue look, really nice.

My question is why does it look like that? Do the 70's guns look like this? Do several people have 80's guns and do look like this? Are the barrel and slide made of different type steel and react differently to the blue? I have a 1997 41 but the finish is completely different. I just don't know what to think about it. Can anyone comment?
Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 AM
rbt50

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
one
Old 09-28-2017, 08:12 AM
MangoBango

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
Okay, well the reason I ask is because I wanted to speak (preferably on the phone) with someone who had early model 41's, like back in the mid to late 80's and mid to late 70's and could compare his to mine. I purchased a 1978 41 from GB and on the site it looked fantastic. After receiving it today the barrel is a cloudy type blue with some streaks in the bluing that will not come out. When I shine a flashlight on the bluing the barrel actually appears to have a brown hue while the slide and frame have a deep blue look, really nice.

My question is why does it look like that? Do the 70's guns look like this? Do several people have 80's guns and do look like this? Are the barrel and slide made of different type steel and react differently to the blue? I have a 1997 41 but the finish is completely different. I just don't know what to think about it. Can anyone comment?
I own 1 (1958) but would like to own more in the future!
I did a lot of research and A LOT of shopping before I bought mine. I can only tell you that, in my observation, the finish on the 41 has changed periodically through their production, but the frame and slide should match. Possibly you just got a frame from one period and a barrel from another period. I think it is unlikely that it came from the factory like that, though not impossible if it was during a transition.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:20 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One. Took a long time to find one.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:27 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have one, made in 2007. I have seen that "foggy blue finish" that you are describing before on Smith & Wesson handguns, but don't know the reason.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:12 PM
laytonj1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post

The barrel may not be original to the gun and/or the barrel may have a bad refinish job.
Without seeing it, it's hard to say. The bluing on all pre 90's 41 should be a nice deep blue. It was around 92 that S&W got away from the high polish finish on the 41.

Oh, and I have two. 1959 and 2001 vintage.

Jim
Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. I would like to post a few photos of what I am seeing but thanks to Photobucket I'm not sure how now.

Also, I have made an error in my years, the bad finish Smith 41 is a 1989 year model. The 1978 is another one I purchased. It also looks good but we will see when it shows up. If someone could suggest another photo hosting website free for use please point me to it.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you guys who have one, shine a flashlight on the barrel and slide and see if the bluing has the same appearance? I can see the most difference by having the gun between myself and the light and shining the light on the surface and back in my direction.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:17 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i THINK YOU CAN direct attach from your computer,, no PB needed,,
I will try,,

You think your Model 41 has a bad finish,, I have attached pics of my 41's,,,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC 22 C (800x487).jpg (172.3 KB, 612 views)

Last edited by sweetmk; 10-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:47 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Sweetmk, that Thompson Center Contender is a nice one!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:58 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Hey Sweetmk, that Thompson Center Contender is a nice one!
Thanks,, it is a 22LR barrel, fun to shoot!!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 PM
41rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Just one for me, it's a 1988 model.

I have that murky discoloration on my barrel, it's forward of the chamber on the slab sides only. I always assumed the previous owner shot some long strings of rapid fire & the heat caused the color changes.

The rest of the gun has a nice deep blue, the grip frame & slide finish is especially nice. My rear sight looks like a Friday rush job, lol pretty rough finish for a fine target pistol.