The New Smith & Wesson .22 LR Victory Thread (the place to discuss this new pistol) - Page 41 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:38 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I runs Federal auto match. that is 1080.....the 711B ran in three of my four pistols, and not in the Victory pistol. The Victory pistol threw the Automatch every where, the 41, the High Standard and the Buckmark grouped from good to excellent with the same ammo. 25 yard test.
Federal Automatch is 1200. Listed on the box:

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
Velocity Rating: Standard Velocity
Muzzle Energy: 128 ft. lbs.

711B is 1080.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap View Post
Pretty sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Get one of these for mag loading.http://www.shop.hilljak.com/SW22-Victory-22LR_c21.htm

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezen View Post
I've never had one of those loaders, but that little button on the magazine sure beats up your thumb after a while. I got my loader on Ebay for 5.99, free shipping.

Your first experience about mirrors mine. I used pretty much the same ammo.

Try cleaning the takedown screw, and using the #61 Oring. It seems to work.

I also like how far the casings get ejected, and the angle too. I never have to sweep them at my indoor club range.
Yes. I didn't do anything to this gun after getting it back from S&W. They'd test fired it, and that was noted on the paperwork. So I figured they felt it was ready to shoot.

I think I'll try just cleaning the screw and it's threaded hole well with solvent. If that doesn't get it, I do have some purple Loctite and I will probably put some of that on.

Are these O-Rings you guys are talking about just rubber o-rings? I can see how a small one would smash down and just hold things against vibration.

For thumb protection, I just made this crude device out of some 2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe. I'd have used a bit of 1/4" Polycarbonate, but I guess my scraps of that are in a box in a storage unit at this moment.

I just cut out part of a scrap I already had laying around from making a glove drying gadget a while back. A flat piece was what I wanted to use, but this was what I had on hand. It might be that it's even better than the flat piece would have turned out.

I just cut out the basic shape crudely, then drilled it in three places with one of those stepped bits (they don't grab in plastic, so it's safer and easier to control) and then connected them by rudely using the bit in the drill press as if it was a milling cutter. (Don't tell anyone).

Then I finished it off a bit with a rat-tail file, and extended the two places where the little catch on the magazine might line up to give it clearance.

It's not exactly a piece of precision machining like I've seen posted in this thread. There was no measuring whatsoever. It was a total eyeball job. But it was quick, cheap, and easy, and my thumb is already breathing a sigh of relief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingode View Post
Just a FYI. kygunco.com had mags the other week for $19. I got 4 and so with S&H it came to $90, I think the price has gone up since then.

I got a chance to shoot mine again today. The first time I shot it it hated Federal automatch. It refused to extract 8 out of ten rounds. Today it shot it just fine, weird.
That's a good price for the mags!

Sometimes blowback pistols take a bit of breaking-in to smooth things out and make them more tolerant of lower impulse ammo. Or maybe the temperature was a bit warmer. Or maybe some excess lube wore off.

In any case, that's what I like to hear!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:55 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like your magazine tool. Simple, cheap... gets the job done.

I'm hoping these guys make a new version of their magazine loader to fit the SW22 magazines. I have one for the Buckmark and it works fantastic.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:13 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
I like your magazine tool. Simple, cheap... gets the job done.

I'm hoping these guys make a new version of their magazine loader to fit the SW22 magazines. I have one for the Buckmark and it works fantastic.

I agree!

I've got one for the buckmark, too. It works great!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK. Played with the magazine release to make it a bit harder to accidentally press while shooting.

Luckily, the design makes it particularly easy to modify.

Please excuse the less than great photos taken without the aid of a macro lens.

Take the right grip off.

Note the spring poking out of the hole in the mag release button thingamajig. There's a deep hole in the mag release button so the spring can sit down inside.

So I cut off a small piece of an aluminum rivet. Just about anything that's the right diameter would work.

Just stick the cut-off piece of whatever you use into the hole in the mag release button.

When you then put the spring in on top of whatever you stuck down inside the hole in the mag release button, it'll obviously stick out further. This will increase the force required to push the mag release button in without needing to modify anything permanently. So you can try it and see how you like it, then go back to "normal" any time you want.

Or you can use a different length of thingamajig to get whatever feel you want for the mag release.

I have yet to go shooting with it, but the feel seems just about right to me. It's still easy enough to drop a magazine, but not too easy. I think it'll prevent me from accidentally dropping the mags.

Later, I might look for a stiffer spring that is the correct length to just replace the original. But for now, this is an easy way to play with different spring force for this button.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:43 AM
10P8TRIOT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I mounted a Burris FastFire III on the Victory today and headed out to the range with an assortment of ammo. I wanted to determine which ammo performed the best (most accurate) with my Victory. I shot 10 groups of 3 rounds with 7 different brands of ammo from 30 feet. I had one or two outliers with each brand. So to eliminate my shortcomings, I averaged the extreme spread of the best 8 of the 10 groups for each brand. Here are the results:
  1. 6.38mm - SK Pistol Match
  2. 6.63mm - Wolf Match Target
  3. 6.79mm - Norma TAC-22
  4. 7.48mm - CCI Std Velocity
  5. 7.89mm - Eley Club
  6. 9.98mm - Armscor Std Velocity
  7. 11.79mm - Federal AutoMatch
I had zero issues with feeding, firing, ejecting or the takedown screw loosening. The only surprise was that the Armscor didn't perform better; it's one of the most accurate with my 10/22. This was the 1st time shooting with the FastFire, so there was some learning and adjustments during the session. I found I was most effective using the lowest brightness setting on the FastFire. I plan on repeating this exercise in the next several days, probably at 50 or 60 feet.

Several takeaways from this exercise: 1) This is an accurate pistol. Even the AutoMatch was shooting 1/2" groups which is good enough to take out a squirrel with a head shot. 2) The FastFire III is awesome! It probably cut the size of my groups in half. But, as discussed earlier in this thread, it would be preferable if the sights were mounted closer to the top of the receiver. I like the mounts developed by Pq49z and Trent and am looking forward to what ScottNC comes up with.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 AM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezen View Post
Federal Automatch is 1200. Listed on the box:

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
Velocity Rating: Standard Velocity
Muzzle Energy: 128 ft. lbs.

711B is 1080.
I stand corrected. The 711B that stuck my Victory pistols is 1080......The Automatch is 1200.......I had it wrong......
Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KY Gun is having a "sale" on S&W firearms and mags. They have in stock both the regular Victory and the threaded barrel one, at the same prices as before. They also have in stock their mags for $20 plus a flat rate shipping. Link below.

https://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-we...n=Get%20Loaded
Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
?? Threaded not in stock at 5:30 this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Sue View Post
KY Gun is having a "sale" on S&W firearms and mags. They have in stock both the regular Victory and the threaded barrel one, at the same prices as before. They also have in stock their mags for $20 plus a flat rate shipping. Link below.

https://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-we...n=Get%20Loaded
I went to Kentucky guns on line about 5:30 this morning to purchase a threaded barrel model, not in stock........
Old 03-30-2016, 06:09 PM
TJ Ironhorse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very happy for all those Victory owners that can actually shoot their gun. I have owned my Victory for 20 days. 19 of them have been spent back at Smith & Wesson for repair. Not one round fired by me yet. Picked it up, cleaned and lightly lubed it, and headed to the range. All set to test several brands of ammo. Click, click ,click. Nothing. No primer strike at all. Firing pin looked fine. Idk what it was but it headed back to Smith that day. Havent seen it since. Patiently waiting.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Threecats
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Ironhorse View Post
Very happy for all those Victory owners that can actually shoot their gun. I have owned my Victory for 20 days. 19 of them have been spent back at Smith & Wesson for repair. Not one round fired by me yet. Picked it up, cleaned and lightly lubed it, and headed to the range. All set to test several brands of ammo. Click, click ,click. Nothing. No primer strike at all. Firing pin looked fine. Idk what it was but it headed back to Smith that day. Havent seen it since. Patiently waiting.
That has to be disheartening. I got scared at first and mistook what you wrote as having sent 19 of them back! I envy all you guys. I'd order one in a heartbeat but no place to shoot by me anymore but for some indoor joints. Thing would sit next my HiStandard and H&R doing nothing.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
What would make a Pistol slide stick?

What would make a pistol slide stick? Charge the chamber, pull the trigger, slide does not move. Wooden dowel to dislodge empty case and turn loose slide?

Only with 711B ammo......case appears normal, no bulges......Wierd.....
Old 03-30-2016, 08:55 PM
shootist2121

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cool

Why do folks insist on shooting sub sonic ammo out of semiauto pistol and expect it to function normally?.. First off the velocity that is on the boxes is measured from 16" test barrels.. Not 4-1/2in pistols (Witness at Olin) which cut velocity and breach energy to function a blow back action..
Second.. Whether you see the expansion or not, it's there. And probably adhering to the sides of the chamber because it lack energy to extract.. Especially on a new firearm...This all adds up to why folks even have issues with standard velocity in some semiannually pistols

Just saying��
Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ultradot for .22 Victory?

Has anyone here tried the Ultradot Match dot on one of these Victory pistols...?

I have one I might put on my Victory, but I think I
i would prefer a Burris red dot because of the weight. Opinions here?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Well I was seeking info.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist2121 View Post
Why do folks insist on shooting sub sonic ammo out of semiauto pistol and expect it to function normally?.. First off the velocity that is on the boxes is measured from 16" test barrels.. Not 4-1/2in pistols (Witness at Olin) which cut velocity and breach energy to function a blow back action..
Second.. Whether you see the expansion or not, it's there. And probably adhering to the sides of the chamber because it lack energy to extract.. Especially on a new firearm...This all adds up to why folks even have issues with standard velocity in some semiannually pistols

Just saying��
I was seeking knowledge. Enough of that. The model 41 I tried the same ammo in fired it without a hassle , and it was new out of the box, Hence, the puzzle..... What you call

subsonic is standard velocity according to CCI.....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/84...10-boxes-of-50

Their website does not go into detail with the information you are giving me.

You are assuming I am as educated as you on this subject. If I was, I would not have asked the question. Patience is required here as we all are not a genius like you.

Last edited by gr8guns; 03-30-2016 at 10:34 PM.