The New Smith & Wesson .22 LR Victory Thread (the place to discuss this new pistol) - Page 40 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #586  
Old 03-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Tap
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
Alabama
Posts: 
1,339
TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
8 mags



Log in to see fewer ads
Hi, Trent, I hope to use them shooting steel at East Alabama Gun Club.
I know you know where that is. May be you will let me see that mount
of yours someday.
Did you get your Victory at Shooters?
Mine came from Auburn/ Opelika area.
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 03-26-2016, 09:35 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Location: 
NW PA
Posts: 
695
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
O ring

I tried the #61 Oring, and shot about 120 rounds through my Victory, with no discernible movement of the takedown screw. I did have a little Purple loctite on the threads, so next time, I'll clean this off and just try the Oring. I have no idea why it works though. I have about 1100 rounds through the Victory, with two failures, both failure to feed, with the last one being a mysterious double feed, which I've never seen before in any pistol I've owned. Both were with Remington GB. And after reusing the same ammo, fired fine.
Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 03-27-2016, 11:45 AM
aram

Join Date: 
Jun 2015
Posts: 
5
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up my Victory pistol yesterday. While it was received in PERFECT condition, many thanks to Jim WY for pointing out the issue concerning his barrel. I can assure you that it was the 1st thing I checked with a bore light. Now that it has been cleaned and properly lubricated, I look forward to shooting it this week.
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2008
Location: 
Columbus, Georgia
Posts: 
6,873
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
8 mags... now you are just showing off. Haha.

I've never shot at EAGC but I would like to get over there for one of those steel matches. I'll have to check their schedule.

I did get it at Shooters. Price was ok at $370.
Reply With Quote
  #590  
Old 03-29-2016, 12:33 AM
Jim_WY

Join Date: 
Apr 2009
Location: 
Wyoming
Posts: 
3,350
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FedEx delivered my Victory, today. Back from S&W, where I'd sent it after discovering that the bore was very rough.

They replaced the barrel, which was what I expected.

They also enclosed a magazine, even though I'd sent none in with it, as instructed.

So that was a nice bonus, especially since these magazines seem to be somewhat scarce right now. I'd ordered four mags from Cabela's a while back, and I got one, but the other three are backordered. I just got an update from them saying that the three BO'd magazines are scheduled to ship May 25th.

So I have four mags right now. The two that came with the pistol, one sent from Cabela's, and the one that S&W sent when they returned the pistol.

Examining the new barrel, it looks just fine.

Since the weather was great today, but is supposed to turn snowy tonight, I figured I better get out and give this thing it's long-awaited first range trip.

My intention was just to give it a good break-in and functional test. To that end, I took a variety of odds and ends of ammo I've had laying about for some time.

The range is closed to the general public on weekdays. Only members can get in through the electronic gate. So when I arrived, there was only one other shooter at the 300 yard range. What are the chances that this only other guy there was another RFC member? It was DeadEyeDan, and he'd brought a couple of new-to-him guns as well. I probably wasted a lot of his range time shooting the breeze instead of shooting rounds, but we had a good time.

I started off with CCI Mini Mags. I shot 40 of them with zero problems. Good strong ejection, I must say! And all four mags worked just fine.

Next, I fired some federal bulk. This was model # 745 that I'd bought at Wal Mart well before Sandy Hook. I fired 80 rounds of that, again, with zero problems.

Then I grabbed a box of CCI Standard Velocity. I figured something with a lower velocity might make the gun gag or misbehave. But alas, the darned thing fired 50 rounds of them with zero issues.

Finally, I fished an old box of the Federal Automatch out of the bag, and I started firing them. Again, things went well. But about 40 rounds into those, I did find that the main take-down screw had loosened up. So I was glad I'd read the reports of that happening, so I had the supplied wrench in my pocket.

I tightened that screw and continued firing. I guess I shot about 160 rounds of the Automatch.

To start with, I just shot at old shotgun hulls and the like at the 25 yard berm. Later, I shot at some targets of Dan's because he had a target backer and a variety of targets. Both of us had good luck with the accuracy of the gun. (Well, good luck for me is a relative thing!).

I like the trigger. It does have a long take-up, but the break is clean and crisp.

I also like the sights. The weather was overcast, and where I was shooting from is shaded by an overhead roof and is up against the main building. So the light was diffuse yet reasonably bright. I like that the sights are fairly bright, yet the dots are relatively small.

I had fully intended to install a red dot type sight of some sort on this gun. And I may well do that. But I have to say that the sights are nice, and once adjusted, worked so well that I may delay doing that for a while.

I did manage to accidentally release the magazine several times while shooting because the release button is right where I naturally place the thumb of my right hand. I had to consciously hold that thumb upwards from where it naturally wants to be. Having the mag drop out onto the concrete was disconcerting, but in every case, my thumb was touching the release button. They didn't just drop out on their own. Still, I may stiffen the mag release spring a bit so that it takes more effort to drop a mag.

The grip angle is a bit different than what I'm used to. I tend to point it a bit off vertically and have to consciously align it when aiming. But it feels comfortable in my hands. I think the size, texture, and shape of the factory grip fits my hands well.

Some subtle things I like about the gun are that it really ejects the spent cases with authority. I like that because it makes me think that it'll be reliable with a wide range of ammo. And I had exactly zero failures of any sort with all of the ammo I tried.

Also, the weight and balance of the gun is agreeable. It is a pleasure to shoot.

My right thumb did get a bit sore, though. The mags take a bit of effort to compress the springs when loading them, and the button is smallish. I usually don't get that sort of effect when loading the mags for my Buck Mark or Mk II. So I may buy or build one of those gadgets that helps you to push the little buttons down.
Reply With Quote
  #591  
Old 03-29-2016, 05:45 AM
gruant2000's Avatar
gruant2000

Join Date: 
Sep 2012
Location: 
Ohio
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WY View Post
I did manage to accidentally release the magazine several times while shooting because the release button is right where I naturally place the thumb of my right hand. I had to consciously hold that thumb upwards from where it naturally wants to be. Having the mag drop out onto the concrete was disconcerting, but in every case, my thumb was touching the release button. They didn't just drop out on their own. Still, I may stiffen the mag release spring a bit so that it takes more effort to drop a mag.
Same here, that's my only knock to it. I was planning to take mine apart today and start messing with that spring......but our water heater decided to up and die last night so I will be working on that instead.
Reply With Quote
  #592  
Old 03-29-2016, 05:56 AM
Jim_WY

Join Date: 
Apr 2009
Location: 
Wyoming
Posts: 
3,350
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruant2000 View Post
Same here, that's my only knock to it. I was planning to take mine apart today and start messing with that spring......but our water heater decided to up and die last night so I will be working on that instead.
A dead or leaking water heater is always an unpleasant surprise. Hopefully the replacement will go smoothly.

I'm not sure when I'll get the time to play with the mag release, myself.
Reply With Quote
  #593  
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
54,465
TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Jim I picked up a couple of empty casings (40 and 45 as I recall) to slip over the magazine button when I was testing mine, helped a bunch.
__________________
NRA Patron Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old 03-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Jim_WY

Join Date: 
Apr 2009
Location: 
Wyoming
Posts: 
3,350
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Jim I picked up a couple of empty casings (40 and 45 as I recall) to slip over the magazine button when I was testing mine, helped a bunch.
I've got to try that out.

I like the way the mags drop. I just didn't like hearing them hit the concrete unexpectedly!

Tabbed in.
Reply With Quote
  #595  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:14 PM
MarkS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2015
Location: 
SW VA
Posts: 
319
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get one of these for mag loading.http://www.shop.hilljak.com/SW22-Victory-22LR_c21.htm

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Location: 
NW PA
Posts: 
695
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WY View Post
FedEx delivered my Victory, today. Back from S&W, where I'd sent it after discovering that the bore was very rough.

They replaced the barrel, which was what I expected.

They also enclosed a magazine, even though I'd sent none in with it, as instructed.

So that was a nice bonus, especially since these magazines seem to be somewhat scarce right now. I'd ordered four mags from Cabela's a while back, and I got one, but the other three are backordered. I just got an update from them saying that the three BO'd magazines are scheduled to ship May 25th.

So I have four mags right now. The two that came with the pistol, one sent from Cabela's, and the one that S&W sent when they returned the pistol.

Examining the new barrel, it looks just fine.

Since the weather was great today, but is supposed to turn snowy tonight, I figured I better get out and give this thing it's long-awaited first range trip.

My intention was just to give it a good break-in and functional test. To that end, I took a variety of odds and ends of ammo I've had laying about for some time.

The range is closed to the general public on weekdays. Only members can get in through the electronic gate. So when I arrived, there was only one other shooter at the 300 yard range. What are the chances that this only other guy there was another RFC member? It was DeadEyeDan, and he'd brought a couple of new-to-him guns as well. I probably wasted a lot of his range time shooting the breeze instead of shooting rounds, but we had a good time.

I started off with CCI Mini Mags. I shot 40 of them with zero problems. Good strong ejection, I must say! And all four mags worked just fine.

Next, I fired some federal bulk. This was model # 745 that I'd bought at Wal Mart well before Sandy Hook. I fired 80 rounds of that, again, with zero problems.

Then I grabbed a box of CCI Standard Velocity. I figured something with a lower velocity might make the gun gag or misbehave. But alas, the darned thing fired 50 rounds of them with zero issues.

Finally, I fished an old box of the Federal Automatch out of the bag, and I started firing them. Again, things went well. But about 40 rounds into those, I did find that the main take-down screw had loosened up. So I was glad I'd read the reports of that happening, so I had the supplied wrench in my pocket.

I tightened that screw and continued firing. I guess I shot about 160 rounds of the Automatch.

To start with, I just shot at old shotgun hulls and the like at the 25 yard berm. Later, I shot at some targets of Dan's because he had a target backer and a variety of targets. Both of us had good luck with the accuracy of the gun. (Well, good luck for me is a relative thing!).

I like the trigger. It does have a long take-up, but the break is clean and crisp.

I also like the sights. The weather was overcast, and where I was shooting from is shaded by an overhead roof and is up against the main building. So the light was diffuse yet reasonably bright. I like that the sights are fairly bright, yet the dots are relatively small.

I had fully intended to install a red dot type sight of some sort on this gun. And I may well do that. But I have to say that the sights are nice, and once adjusted, worked so well that I may delay doing that for a while.

I did manage to accidentally release the magazine several times while shooting because the release button is right where I naturally place the thumb of my right hand. I had to consciously hold that thumb upwards from where it naturally wants to be. Having the mag drop out onto the concrete was disconcerting, but in every case, my thumb was touching the release button. They didn't just drop out on their own. Still, I may stiffen the mag release spring a bit so that it takes more effort to drop a mag.

The grip angle is a bit different than what I'm used to. I tend to point it a bit off vertically and have to consciously align it when aiming. But it feels comfortable in my hands. I think the size, texture, and shape of the factory grip fits my hands well.

Some subtle things I like about the gun are that it really ejects the spent cases with authority. I like that because it makes me think that it'll be reliable with a wide range of ammo. And I had exactly zero failures of any sort with all of the ammo I tried.

Also, the weight and balance of the gun is agreeable. It is a pleasure to shoot.

My right thumb did get a bit sore, though. The mags take a bit of effort to compress the springs when loading them, and the button is smallish. I usually don't get that sort of effect when loading the mags for my Buck Mark or Mk II. So I may buy or build one of those gadgets that helps you to push the little buttons down.
I've never had one of those loaders, but that little button on the magazine sure beats up your thumb after a while. I got my loader on Ebay for 5.99, free shipping.

Your first experience about mirrors mine. I used pretty much the same ammo.

Try cleaning the takedown screw, and using the #61 Oring. It seems to work.

I also like how far the casings get ejected, and the angle too. I never have to sweep them at my indoor club range.
Reply With Quote
  #597  
Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 PM
dingode
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Dec 2012
Location: 
NW Ohio
Posts: 
142
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just a FYI. kygunco.com had mags the other week for $19. I got 4 and so with S&H it came to $90, I think the price has gone up since then.

I got a chance to shoot mine again today. The first time I shot it it hated Federal automatch. It refused to extract 8 out of ten rounds. Today it shot it just fine, weird.
Reply With Quote
  #598  
Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 PM
gr8guns's Avatar
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2002
Posts: 
2,347
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My Victory Pistol has problems.

I tried several kinds of ammo today, and in four pistols. The 711B will not run in my Victory pistol. It makes it a single shot with a jammed slide. The same ammo runs well in my High Standard, My Buckmark, and Model 41. I have seen some spent cases here with a small bulge 180 degrees from the firing pin. My pistol does not show that. No bulges. The pistol locks up with the 711B and the slide cannot be pulled back without slamming the stuck case with a wooden dowel through the barrel. My Victory appears to have some issues.

Last edited by gr8guns; 03-29-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #599  
Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Location: 
NW PA
Posts: 
695
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I tried several kinds of ammo today, and in four pistols. The 711B will not run in my Victory pistol. It makes it a single shot with a jammed slide. The same ammo runs well in my High Standard, My Buckmark, and Model 41. I have seen some spent cases here with a small bulge 180 degrees from the firing pin. My pistol does not show that. No bulges. The pistol locks up with the 711B and the slide cannot be pulled back without slamming the stuck case with a wooden dowel through the barrel. My Victory appears to have some issues.
What are the issues? That it won't run subsonic ammo?
Reply With Quote
  #600  
Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 PM
gr8guns's Avatar
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2002
Posts: 
2,347
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
No. It runs Federal Auto Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezen View Post
What are the issues? That it won't run subsonic ammo?
I runs Federal auto match. that is 1080.....the 711B ran in three of my four pistols, and not in the Victory pistol. The Victory pistol threw the Automatch every where, the 41, the High Standard and the Buckmark grouped from good to excellent with the same ammo. 25 yard test.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x