Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM
jackell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaninga View Post
I tried to ship a rifle from my local USPS a few years ago. Fully informed them what it was and it was well packaged. I don't remember the details but the lesson was DON'T ship USPS, at least from THAT location. I've had absolutely no problems from another USPS office.
However, at the first office there were THREE trips made. I kept getting a call from them saying they could not ship a firearm for me. I tried to explain I was totally legal and conformed to all USPS regulations. I called the Atlanta USPS office to what I was told was the 'end office' for all shipping Regs for the USPS. That Atlanta office said no problem, there must have been a confused USPS employee at the location I visited. I went back the USPS location. They brought out the package from the back after much confusion at the front teller. They DROPPED THE RIFLE BOX IN FRONT OF ME AND looked at me as though "SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CROSS US"!! Believe it or not I made absolutely NO REMARKS because at that time I already realized what I was dealing with and a response could have given them 'ammo' to accuse me.
I asked for the branch MANAGER who was a long time employee of that USPS. She attempted to EXPLAIN to HER OWN TELLER WHO WAS REFUSING TO SHIP THE RIFLE with the 3" thick book of USPS REGULATIONS open in front of both of them. The manager was FINE with the shipping, the teller who was recently [months] moved here from KALIFORNIA said, "I see what you [her USPS MANAGER] are showing and telling me but I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT THE WAY YOU ARE TELLING ME AND WHAT THE BOOK [their own regulations book!] MEANS".
During the back and forth between the USPS employee's arguing between themselves, two of the tellers [including the one that could/would not understand the regs] said " I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT THE REGS SAY, I WON'T SHIP ANY GUNS". They actually said that to one another while I was standing 7' away from them at the counter.
I HAD THE ATLANTA USPS SHIPPING PERSON ACTUALLY TELL ME OVER THE PHONE AFTER I RETURNED HOME THE 2ND TIME FAILING TO GET THE RIFLE LEGALLY SHIPPED - " GO BACK AND TELL THEM MY NAME IF YOU HAVE PROBEMS AGAIN. TELL THEM TO CALL THIS NUMBER [gave me one] AND ASK FOR ME [AT THE ATLANTA USPS MAIN HEADQUARTERS] AND I'LL EXPLAIN IT TO THEM."
I guess I just wanted to be 'right' and not appear to shy away AS THOUGH I WAS A CRIMINAL OR SOMETHING, and wanted to prove I was CORRECT in all my shipping to FFL procedures. I can still see the face of the guy bringing the gun back to the front counter on the 2nd or 3rd trip back to the USPS location. I'm not reading anything into this, it was as though he wanted me to know he meant "oops, sorry, see what happens, I couldn't care LESS about this package..." He didn't say he was sorry, just "oops".
Yeah, and the teller who said he follows HIS OWN REGULATIONS AND "WON'T SHIP ANY GUNS NO MATTER IF LEGAL OR WHAT."

Yes, I feel your pain.
I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS SHIPPING UPS when I drive to a local distribution center {Kennesaw, GA} that has a small receiving counter.
I now ship ALL my guns, airguns or not, through a friend's LGS who I've known for years. USP is his friend.
I'm disgusted by what I experienced with my local USPS, or at least the "self regulated" employees up front.

Sorry you experienced the nice 69A's demise. I hope it can be restored as much as possible, JWA.
Im wondering if you called the Postal Police in on this while all the hemming and hawing is going on. I know when someone assaults a letter carrier they are quick too investigate, so why not these circumstances?? I think in general we really don't want to cause a stir-up but these jackasses need to be straightened out.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
I didn't realize the production numbers on the 69A Match model rifles was so low, I'm lucky to have found one.
I mis-quoted it - my error, that production number was for the 69 Target, the Match production numbers are a little higher.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2014, 08:38 PM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
This thread makes me rather ill. I cannot imagine what happened to that poor rifle to have done this kind of damage.

Obviously, it was NOT a poor packing job.

I will say that my WORST shipping experiences have come from the USPS and their inept, arrogant and careless employees. Same as dealing with the DMV. Most times one deals with "gubmint" folks it is a disaster, and most of them are anti-gun, in my experience.

I am so sorry this happened to you JWA. You have helped me and others so much with all of your information and facts on our old guns. Keep up the good work and I hope this situation is resolved.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 AM
slumlord44
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have opened gun boxes at my local post office on occasion, makes some people nervous plus lets the world know you are getting guns in the mail.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 AM
JWM94
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Collecting guns is not for the faint of heart, that's for certain!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have probably come across as being totally anti USPS. But to be fair, I will honestly say that the majority of my experiences with them have been any where from good to excellent. But we all tend to recall those bad experiences even though they may be infrequent. All it takes is having a one time experience of opening a box containing a collector grade rifle and seeing what JWA saw....that'll leave a sour taste in your mouth every time. And as stated, one's experiences with USPS are going to be tied to what he/she gets on the local level.

I will also admit that I have had some harrowing experiences with all three major shippers. But USPS is still not my first choice. In my case, I prefer UPS, but that has a lot to do with the fact that they have supplied me with a phone number where I can call my local distribution center to help rapidly track down and problems or errant packages. Try doing that with USPS or Fedex in my locality. I guess the fact is that we don't live in a perfect world and should act and prepar accordingly.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 AM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Belgian Browning semi auto .22 destroyed by the USPS a couple of years ago, but to be fair, the seller didn't disassemble the barrel from the action, the weak point being the wrist of the butt stock.

With regard to shipping, whether you use USPS, UPS, or FedEx, I think it's different from location to location. I've had workers at all three tell me it was against their policy to ship firearms. I had to print off their policy and take it in to show them.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have learned from my 52D shipment experience that the safest way to ship a long gun is to have the shipper remove the sights and seperate the barreled action from the stock. Wrap each part seperately in bubble wrap and ship in a heavy padded cardboard box, better yet to ship in a hard sided gun case then packed in it's original cardboard box. Be aware that seperating the barreled action from the stock may cost extra as some sellers will tell you that they are not gunsmiths and do not have the proper tools or knowledge of each specific firearm to do this. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
fillmore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hate to see that JWA. I'm a retired USPS letter carrier. At every stop along the way your parcels get "thrown". That is the term used for that job function. Here is a video showing it. It's standard operating procedure. Not saying it's right.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
LongPlay

Toledo Bend, Deep East Texas - temporarily in either India or Philippines
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I used to buy and sell antique glass from the 1905 to 1925 age range. I found that to have any chance of a successful shipping experience, you needed to be able to take your package after you think you have it packed, throw it to the ground, kick it all the way to the mail box (for me that was almost 80 yards). Pick it up and try to throw it into the giant box I had from across the street. As many times as it takes to get it into the mail box.

If it cannot stand up to that, take it back and pack it again until it can.....
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongPlay View Post
I used to buy and sell antique glass from the 1905 to 1925 age range. I found that to have any chance of a successful shipping experience, you needed to be able to take your package after you think you have it packed, throw it to the ground, kick it all the way to the mail box (for me that was almost 80 yards). Pick it up and try to throw it into the giant box I had from across the street. As many times as it takes to get it into the mail box.

If it cannot stand up to that, take it back and pack it again until it can.....
Sound advice!