Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 AM
bevans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is this Walnut or Birch?

Hey,

Does this stock look like walnut or birch? I know nothing about woods but assumed it was walnut because the 10/22 is a 1973 model. Anyway I would love to try and refinish it to bring out the tiger striping. Any help in identifying the wood or how to go about refinishing it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2013, 11:17 AM
natman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Walnut
Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 AM
bevans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks.

Anybody have a link to a step by step process of refinishing walnut stocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wood type

Could just as easily be birch as walnut. Birch also has tiger stripes ala:

Since virtually all commercial wooden stocked rifles are finished with a toner topcoat, which is a dyed topcoat, the differences in the color of the example and your rifle are inconsequential.

Irregardless of which wood it is, the process is the same.

Removing the old finish.

Stock prep, which is THE key to any finishing process. This would include reducing the visible size of the pores if you want to do that but again wood type only requires more or less of that process.

Coloring, if you want to do that.

Topcoat/finish with the chemical of your choice.

There are a number of threads, articles, posts etc. on doing stocks on this forum.

Stocks: Making, Repairing, Refinishing, Modifying, and Bedding

Unless there is something discrete to what you might want to do to a 10/22 stock like a special alteration etc. then the above forum IMO is well worth looking at and posting to instead of a brand forum.

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 12-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
From the pictures my guess would be walnut. That's sbeauty!
Chad
Old 12-21-2013, 06:08 PM
trob

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
looking past the tiger stripes, the grain looks like walnut.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with George, it could be either birch or walnut as the pics are not totally clear. Birch can have some lovely tiger stripes as the stock in the pics. Once you strip it if thats your plan, you can post pictures and George can advise you as he is the expert on refinishing. Either way, you have a beautiful stock to refinish
Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Take off the butt plate and look at the color of the raw wood. Walnut is dark. Birch is white. Easy enough.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
duhast
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My call is birch.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 AM
bevans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its Walnut

Thanks guys, I took the butt plate off and its Walnut.

Does anyone have a link to an easy way to refinish this? Do you guys use stain or just oil?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Check post #4 above by noremf
Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great call on removing the butt cover. I would not stain it as it is just beautiful as is. There is a lot of information on various refinishing techniques in this site. Most folks use Tru-oil as it is very easy to apply without sanding between coats. I am just now redoing an old JC Higgins shotgun stock with tru-oil and it has been very easy to use. The other finish to consider is rattle can lacquer which is a bit harder to get the technique down, but also allows you to add multiple layers without sanding down between coats. In any event, sanding and preparation of the wood before applying the finish of your choice is the key to a good end result. At a minimum, that means sanding with 120, 220 and 320 grit sandpaper. If you want an eaven smoother finish you'd go down to 600 grit before applying the finish. Geroge was very gracious in giving me a lot of specific advice and I am sure he will be happy to guide you as you make your choices. Good luck and post pics after you redo the stock
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 AM
bevans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GladesGuy, did you just strip it sand it and then tru oil it?

Thanks for all the replies. I did check out the Stocks: Making and modifying subforum but there are only a few pages of threads to look through and I didnt find any detailed info.Ive also searched youtube. Having never worked with wood before Im looking for as much detail about refinishing as possible. So far I know I need to get citristrip and strip the finish and then sand from 120-600 grit, but after that what comes next? Do I need to stain or just put oil on it? How many coats? Also ive read numerous threads so far and they are all different some use BLO, others tru oil and some minwax. Im just looking for info on the easiest way to refinish walnut.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bevans, yes I did strip it as the first step with commercial stripper I picked up at Ace Hardware as it had a heavy old finish on it. I think in your case you can use the citri-strip product sold by Walmart which is much less harsh. I stopped sanding at 320 grit as it is an old beat up stock and it is never going to be a beauty queen. I am on the 11th coat of tru-oil and it is looking a lot better than I expected. I had never used this product before, but I am pleased with it. In your case, I would go down to 600 grit because it is so beautiful and in very good condition. One thing to note is that I used the accompanying sealer which worked OK for the first coat but gummed up when I tried to apply a second coat, so I just sanded it back down with 320 grit and then went to the tru-oil. The first coat of TO is not going to look too good as some parts of the wood will soak it all up. DO NOT be tempted to try and lay on more TO at that point just let it dry for at least 3-4 hours or more till it is not tacky to the touch. On the 3rd or 4th coat, everything evens out and it starts to get very glossy. After that, each coat is not going to require more than 5-10 drops to cover the stock. The trick is very light coats each allowed to dry completely. I use three fingers running with the grain. Once I am done with the TO and allow it to cure for a couple of weeks, I plan to use rottenstone and oil to polish the surface as the last step as recommended by George
Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 AM
bevans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks GladesGuy, that was exactly the info I was looking for. I'll hopefully get started on this over the holidays. I'll be sure to post pics when its done.