Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 AM
VaHillbilly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Anschutz 1416, whats the deal?

I have had five of these 1416 rifles in one form or another over the last 20 or so years and while all have been pretty accurate every single one of these things have had trouble ejecting a spent hull, sometimes they flip em out on the right side pretty as you please but most times the spent case will just flip up and bounce around the ejection port and more times than not will cause a jam when I try to feed the next cartridge from the magazine, Whats the deal here? am I just the most unlucky Anschutz owner ever or do they all have the same problem? and is there a fix?. Feeding and extraction have never been an issue on any of the rifles I've owned...................Thanks VaHillbilly.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 AM
sgrayner
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Already Discussed

64 Action ejection problems are pretty well documented, the latest thread:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=332918

Filling in the gas vent doesn't work, but filing down the attachment flange of the extractor about .012 inch seems to do the trick. This was originally submitted by Brad (hellbender) on SnipersHide, but is copied on page 2 of the thread.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
TerryK

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
My Anschutz 54s vary from bad to "worser". Comical in some way to watch everyone clearing cases at a silhouette match. It is rare to watch any Anschutz shooter not have a failure to eject during a relay. My best ejecting Anschutz is a 1712, and it is poor at best. I just sold a 64MSR, and it was also only poor, so I hated to sell it. I can't believe that they don't fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Ron Hoff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whats the deal here? am I just the most unlucky Anschutz owner ever or do they all have the same problem? and is there a fix?.

No. I bought the one you were supposed to get to make it number 6. Same problem. It is a common problem though and not just one that is affecting you.

It is hard to understand why Anschutz has not done something to correct this though.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This ejection problem is NOT limited to a few!
I have the Weatherby MKXXII (1416 version), basically a 1416 Anschutz without sights.
And the ejection is rotten!
Many others with the MKXXII also have this poor ejection problem.
Anschutz should be ashamed of themselves!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I got my first Anschutz, a 1712 last month and on it's first range visit I learned about the ejection problems first hand. Looking at it, the ejector was actually worn on the top after about 400 rounds.

I called the dealer I purchased it from, who claims he's never heard of this problem with any of the Anschutz rifles he sells. Kind of funny when I googled the problem I got pages and pages of ejection problems. Dropped it off, he sent it back to Merkel and I got it back almost 3 weeks later. It looked like all they did was change the ejector.

Took it out the next day to shoot, and the first 50 spent cases ejected great. Then, the problems started again. I wouldn't think the bolt face/ejector got dirty enough to cause problems after only 50 rounds, but who knows. It is cleaned up now and I'll try it again early next week.

I plan on calling Merkel this week to see what they actually did, and to find what else I should do.

This is the most expensive rifle I've ever owned, and though it is very accurate, I can't believe it has this problem. I guess I've been lucky in that of all the rifles I've ever owned, I've never had a problem like this.

Since it's under warranty, I want to send it back until it's fixed, but having to travel an hour to drop it off, the wait until it's repaired and the the trip back to pick it up is kind of a drain. I may just try to figure it out myself, or look for something else.

Oh well, just my luck...

It's kind of funny, I work with a lot of german equipment and am always picking on the german engineers about their designs and how bad their machines are. They hate the fixes us Americans come up with and tell me how we don't appreciate true craftsmanship. I always tell them, all we want their equipment to do is to work correctly and not break down.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I have yet to see a 54 actioned Anschutz that has an ejection problem. Not saying they don't, but its mainly the 64's with the issue. Most 54's are perfect right out of the box.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
VaHillbilly

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I feel a little better after reading the posts, I guess misery loves company but I'd still like this thing to work right.......Also what do you guys think is the best, most bullet proof rimfire action going these days?. I just bought a new Copper recently and that thing won't feed the last round out of the mag without jamming, so it ain't a Cooper.....Would it be the painfully reasonably priced CZ maybe? though I've had ejection problems with CZ's too......................VaHillbilly.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM
MICROGUNNER

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I own (2) 54 actions and neither have any problems ejecting fired cases or unfired cartridges.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:38 AM
3joe21

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I have yet to see a 54 actioned Anschutz that has an ejection problem. Not saying they don't, but its mainly the 64's with the issue. Most 54's are perfect right out of the box.
Really? Both of mine are have inconsistent ejection.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
3joe21

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
How can we influence Volquartzen to offer extractor replacements?

I've analyzed the crappy ejection on the 54 and 64 and my conclusion is the hook extractor is made with sloppy tolerancing. It doesn't hold the rim tightly against the bolt face. But the round extractor oddly does hold it firmly hence the tendency to flip the case straight up or to the left side.

If you're sick of the shell going straight up or left, remove the left side extractor. You'll start seeing the cased go out the right side like they should. But, there will be increased instances of the empty case falling off the bolt face before being kicked out by the ejector. The last shot out of the magazine will be most inclined to fail ejection due to no upward force from the next live round pushing up on the empty.

The extractor steel is really soft. I'm considering hitting the angled surface of my hook extractor with a punch to see if I can tighten it up and keep the case tight against the bolt.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3joe21 View Post
How can we influence Volquartzen to offer extractor replacements?
maybe we could send them links to ALL the threads started about this subject on RFC. They would be our best bet for finding a company to listen, and fix this problem FOR anschutz.

Quote:
I've analyzed the crappy ejection on the 54 and 64 and my conclusion is the hook extractor is made with sloppy tolerancing. It doesn't hold the rim tightly against the bolt face. But the round extractor oddly does hold it firmly hence the tendency to flip the case straight up or to the left side.

If you're sick of the shell going straight up or left, remove the left side extractor. You'll start seeing the cased go out the right side like they should. But, there will be increased instances of the empty case falling off the bolt face before being kicked out by the ejector. The last shot out of the magazine will be most inclined to fail ejection due to no upward force from the next live round pushing up on the empty.

The extractor steel is really soft. I'm considering hitting the angled surface of my hook extractor with a punch to see if I can tighten it up and keep the case tight against the bolt.
Lots of rifle's extractors don't hold the case against the bolt, so that likely isn't the issue with the Anschutz failures but I could be wrong. My Savage, which ejects beautifully, actually has a LARGER gap between the bolt face and the extractor hook as do a couple other of my rifles.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Really? Both of mine are have inconsistent ejection.
Over the years, I have had 4 of the 54's, my dad had two, and still has one, my cousin has 2, and they all eject perfect.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Landis fan

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My new 1502 is terrible at ejecting spent shell casings.

When shooting off a bench & rest, I have to fish for every shell case after each shot. Half the time I have to remove the clip to get at the shell case. It makes shooting off the bench a real pain.

When hunting / shooting off-hand, I just angle the rifle sharply so the shell falls out of the action each time I work the bolt.

BTW, I'm using high Talley mounts, so scope clearance isn't the culprit.

To quote Roseanne Roseanna Danna, "Its a always something..."

Hey! Maybe this is a good aftermarket project for Rimfire Technologies or JP Custom Products to tackle!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Well, my 1423 ejects very well but my 54 mil trainer does not.