Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neos at 50 yds?

hey y'all! Been wanting a .22 handgun and I was wondering if anybody here had shot a neos at 50yds. I am undecided if I want the neos or a ruger mk3.. I would like to at least hit golf ball size targets at 50 yds reliably. Long distance shooting will decide which one I get, though I like the look of the neos better. Am I asking to much of a handgun?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
bscman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Send a message via MSN to bscman
The ruger will be more accurate and consistent.
The ruger is also easier to get a "target grade" trigger.

I have a neos, but haven't shot for groups at 50yds. 95% of the time it's just an offhand "fun gun." It will consistently hit pop-cans at 50yds without trouble...not sure about golf balls.
Perhaps if I get some free time this weekend I'll bench my neos.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
gunsmokeer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
not great

I took a Beretta Neos to the range one time and fired for accuracy from 50 feet.
All shooting was slow-fire, and all was done with an improvised rest-- I was sitting in a chair, resting my arms across a table, with the gun propped up on my range bag full of gear and stuffed with my sweater in it.

I shot the gun with open sights for about 50 rounds to check reliability and to get a feel for the trigger. The trigger was heavier than I was used to and had some creep to it, but it was not bad. A typical "field grade" trigger.

With iron sights, I got 3" groups at 50 feet. That's for a 10-shot group.
This was not a group that would normally be 2" but with one or two flyers. The shots were well distributed throughout the 3" circle. I shot two groups with open sights and both were about 3 inches.

With a BSA red dot scope, I got 2" groups at 50 feet. Again, for 10 shots.
I didn't have any called flyers. I expected the gun to do better than this. I shot again and had one flyer that opened the second group up to 3 inches, but the other 9 shots would have been 2", so I'd say that with a red dot sight it's a 2" gun. (For comparison, my High Standard target pistol shoots a 3/4" group at 50 feet with its inexpensive red dot scope).

With a Bushnell 4x-12x rifle scope, 40mm adjustable objective lens, set to be parallax free at 50 feet, I got groups about 1.75". They were just barely smaller than the red dot groups. I had the scope set to around 4X or 6X for this shooting-- no need to crank the magnification all the way up. Of course the front of the scope stuck out beyond the end of the pistol's barrel.... but it was only on the gun for about 20 shots.

BOTTOM LINE: The Beretta Neos I tested is not going to regularly roll a golf ball from 50 yards. Not even a tennis ball. Maybe a softball. It is a reliable gun and its grips feel good in my hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are not asking too much of the Ruger--that can be done easily. The MK Ruger along with the SW 41 and a few others can fill that bill. You may want to get a chance to try them out as grip angle and balance matched to your preference is the factor that will make the pistol a keeper for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Mississippi Dave
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't say what the Neos will do at 50 yards. I don't shoot at such distances any more. At 25 yards using a red dot 1" groups are doable. At 50 yards I just don't know. You might want to check out the S&W 41. It will cost you a lot more but it is more of a target pistol. The Neos I used for 25 yards was a 6" model. I have not tried this with the 4.5" one yet. If I do I will try it with a scope to make it a little easier for me to see the mark.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 PM
AlaskanWildMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get a browning buckmark and you will be happier than gettign a ruger.