Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
aughh! I got a disguised shotgun!!

I got a ruger for squirrel hunting a couple of months ago, and I am getting groups no smaller than 6.5 inches!!!! Those groups are with lots of different ammo! It shoots all ammo horribly! I read about people getting 2" groups with their stock gun, and 2" groups would be fine for what I want to use it for. Six inches is outrageous though! I contacted ruger to find out what the factory specs are, and I am waiting to hear back.. Is this normal?

Btw my gun is in a tapco t6 stock if that might have caused any problem..
Old 08-14-2008, 12:32 PM
BobbyWins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At what range are you shooting??

BW
Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50 yards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
patrick.f

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry to hear of your problem.Are the groups scattergun or in a vertical line?
This will be a problem someone here can sort out-or I will eat my pants
Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
JohnVan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to JohnVan
Okay, let's try this:

Is the barrel floated/bedded/padded?
Muzzle crown atrocious?
Using rest/sandbags?
Loose V-Block?
What's the trigger weight?
Optics/sights, and any related problem?
Specifically, what ammo?
Action/stock fit? Bedding?
Torque on action screw?
Tried the (or any) factory stock?

We're here to help. Like the government. Not only can we help, but we can spend your money for you, too!

John
Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
scattergun. It seriously looks like somebody shot the target with buckshot!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
john, the barrel has a p-pad, using a 4x bushnell. I don't remember all the ammo I have shot through it, but all of it had bad groups.. I will try it with the factory stock with the scope. (never shot it with a scope in factory stock) I will check those other things you mentioned..

Last edited by ilove22; 08-14-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
JohnVan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My best results (so far... ha, I can't wait to see what happens when I have more money...) have been out of a factory stock and barrel with the following done:

Barrel channel fully, generously floated until about 1" from the reciever, with a thin foam pad at the end of the channel.

Receiver checked for levelness, aftermarket weaver base (loctite on all screws except action screws), weaver quadlocks, BSA 6-24X 40mm AO (I think that parallax could be hurting you BIGTIME... look into a good AO scope... it'll allow you to focus the target and crosshairs together).

Bolt full polished, SLIGHT radius, bolt face smoothed out, guide rod polished, bolt buffer made from a 3" x 1/4" nylon bolt.

Trigger has an overtravel stop made from JB weld (CAREFULLY measured), Power Custom hammer polished, everything polished up, WITH trigger return spring (clipped 1 coil, polished plunger and inverted assembly so spring rests on trigger) = 1lb 14oz pull, WITHOUT (set trigger... I like it. The perfect safety! I can carry it around, and the rifle's totally deactivated) = 14oz pull.

Your mileage may very, but with a MINIMUM of financial input, and a lot of DIY guidance from RFC, I've received pretty good, not "superstock", but pretty good results with okay ammo. About .75" @25 w/ Fed 510, about .3-.4" with CCI Standard Velocity, and .2-.3" with PMC Target 22 (no longer made, bummer).

Here's 10 with... hmmm, it was either 510 or Remington Golden Bullets:
Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Dr. Mongoose

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, I don't understand..."the barrel is padded". One thing no one else has asked, did you buy the gun used? If so lock open the bolt and using a small flashlight inspect the bore. Look very carefully at the chamber area and see if it is erroded. The previous owner may have shot stingers (or shorts, longs) and ruined the barrel. Any length shell casing other than a long rifle will cause damage to the chamber and barrel throat. This damage can produce your results!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sorry, shoulda been more clear. The barrel has a p-pad, and it is free floated although I haven't checked it with a buisness card yet..
Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
claybuster
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to claybuster
The first thing I'd do is yank off the scope and shoot a few groups w/ the iron sights off a good solid rest or sandbags. With groups that large & erratic I'd suspect the scope more than the gun. At a minimum check the scope's mounting screws. A loose base/rings will cause the problems you describe.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
John said :

"We're here to help. Like the government. Not only can we help, but we can spend your money for you, too!"

Oh My John! I would hope we here would be *of* help and not just spend someone else's money! "Good lord, what are we? Congress?"

Oh heck, was trying to make a joke so bad and forgot to post the rest! LOL

Back up, strip the scope off and shoot as Claybuster suggested. Was the scope "rimfire rated" (parallex adjusted for 50yds) or one with a 100 yd setting (most centerfire scopes, except the Adjustable Objective types). Then proceed (report back here, ect.).

Last edited by T191032; 08-14-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
pmullineaux

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
v'block check!!! fast. also, yes check the free float. yes, the next thing to do is go to a 25 yds line, and shoot open sites.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM
JohnVan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope everything's going well... made any progress?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 PM
ilove22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Havent made any progress yet... Been really busy! I appreciate all the helpfull replies! Will keep everyone updated!