Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED HORSE View Post
Lightening strikes and kills people every year also, but I don't walk down the street with a lightening rod on my head. There is risk to everything. You risk tolerance is less than mine which is fine. How many restaurants have been attacked in the last 20 years? I don't go to public concerts, school, nightclub districts. I'm comfortable with the risk.
Well if your comfortable with the risk, and don't go out in public, then I guess you have nothing to worry about. There are lots of people who die in car accidents every year. I don't decide not to drive, but I do wear a seatbelt to reduce my risk of injury. Most people will never have to worry about using a firearm for self defense, but why not be prepared if you have the means to?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:40 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I go with the adage that any firearm is better than none at all. I haven't every heard anybody say they wouldn't mind being shot with a .22. I also believe as more people carry concealed, there is a little more reticence by the snatch and grab thief.

I also believe that a firearm with no round in the chamber is a very poor rock.

I carry an LCP with .380 defensive ammo. My vehicle gun is a 9 mm R51. My bed stand gun is a S&W.40 cal. The noise and flash will probably stun everybody.

My desk gun is a 9mm. The first weapon of choice in my safe is a Colt M4. The magazine is not in it, but readily available. I have a KelTec Sub2000 Gen 2, 9 mm inside my gun closet. All I need to do is strike the charging handle and it is good to go.

The number of home invasions and night time withdrawals seems to be going out of style here in the metro Atlanta area. More door crashers are getting shot. A would be sneak thief broke a window trying to break into a house in a south Atlanta suburb last night. The noise woke up the home owner and after the smoke cleared, the home owner called the police. The intruder will not be intruding any more.

VH
Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post

I also believe that a firearm with no round in the chamber is a very poor rock.

VH
I agree completely and as I said earlier I always carry unless I'm on the way to the local Air Force Base where it is against the law.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:21 PM
noelekal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would mount an enthusiastic defense if all I had was a handgun chambered for .22 Long Rifle cartridge, but my comfort level begins with the 158 grain semi-wadcutter in the .38 Special and extends up through the .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, and non-magnum .44 and .45 caliber revolvers and automatics.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:42 AM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I know I'm going to repeat some things that have already been said, that I'm not going to change anyone's mind about anything and that I'm really doing this just for me but I'm going to try to distill this down a bit.

(1) If you live/work in an area where you feel at risk, or if you go into such an area for whatever reason, or you are very risk averse no matter where you are, carry a handgun if at all legally possible.

(2) Be sure the gun is one with which you are very familiar and with which you can shoot as accurately as the situation allows. Both of those happen only if you have practiced extensively with your weapon, under as many different scenarios as possible.

(3) Make that handgun the largest caliber you can safely and comfortably handle. If you flinch (or even drop the gun!) because of recoil or can't physically rack the slide or pull the trigger, the gun is of no use to you.

(4) Some calibers will be more effective than others in doing what needs to be done but any caliber is better than none at all. In some situations, shot placement can make up for deficiencies in caliber; in some situations, even the largest caliber will not suffice. Only you can decide how likely it is that you will encounter any given situation.

(5) Everyone has their own idea of what caliber weapon to carry for self-defense and telling someone else that their choice is deficient or overkill will probably accomplish nothing.

"A man has to know his limitations."

Last edited by farrlarr; 08-18-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You wouldnít think so, but violent crime is down, less now than before, but way more media than ever, so mass hysteria is on a roll! Unless you live in or frequent an inner city urban free fire zone your chances of needing a self defense weapon are at an all time low. Lots of things to attribute this decline to, but I believe it is due to the resurgence of ccw. Thank you mass hysteria! With so many more of us armed, the criminals know that itís more likely than ever that they will encounter a victim who will present a firearm in response. Thank you mass media! As to defense against mass murders, a hand gun isnít going to be much use against an ak 47 or an ar 15 , no matter what the caliber, unless you devote your entire life to constant tactical training, which most of us arenít going to do, me included. So I just go by the adage donít go anywhere with a gun that you wouldnít without one, and always go with one! Donít leave home without it! If a 22lr is what you think will do the job, then thatís on you. It probably will, I just like to stack the odds in my favor whenever I can. So for me a bigger caliber is better. And like they say a pistol is only so you can fight your way to your rifle.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
And like they say a pistol is only so you can fight your way to your rifle.
Not this "they".....its so I can fight my way to my next pistol.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Not this "they".....its so I can fight my way to my next pistol.
Or which ever is closer, rifle or pistol.

I often carry my Sub2000 in a ratty looking bag in the front seat or back seat of ny truck. Which is why I bought it. And I can install my QD red dot in another 10 seconds after getting it out of the bag, which is one zipper.

We shoot exercises about every 6 weeks with targets and pins interspersed with pistol caliber carbines. Movement plus magazine changes are part of the exercise.

Our RO said in one of the future exercises, a dummy round will be placed in one of our magazines, and we will have to clear the dummy from the action, and continue the exercise. All this is timed of course.

I felt like a dummy at our last PCC shoot. It was my first time with the Sub2000 I had had it for all of 3 days. My first magazine change I tried to be far quicker than my skill level [first time-itis] and I threw the magazine almost as far as the next target. That is why we run drills. In another future evening of fun, we will be required to use our EDC. Most of us shoot red dots on our caliber/gun of choice for a regular pin shoot. So, we will see how many pins survive when we go to iron sights. I only know of a couple guys that have a RD or a laser on their EDC. And I don't think any of us use our EDC to shoot pins.

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 08-18-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edit
Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's my two cents, and you're getting what you paid for.

ALL handgun calibers are inadequate for self defense. Handguns are a compromise, because we don't want to carry rifles, and it's generally frowned upon to carry grenades.

There is little evidence that any one caliber is much better than another. This is the major reason that most police departments are getting away from the foutay short and weak, and going back to the 9mm. More rapid follow up shots are more important than caliber.

.22LR will, and has killed people dead.

If you want to carry a .22LR, more power to you. The gun you have on you is better than the gun you leave at home. Don't think for a minute that you are under gunned. With proper shot placement, and multiple hits, that .22 is wicked.

As for myself.

I carry whatever strikes my fancy that morning.
But

When I don't want to carry a gun, I carry my little NAA .22LR with five CCI Stingers.
The one time I was GLAD to have it, I was wishing it was bigger, but at least I was not unarmed.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:35 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think I mentioned my instructor is an X Army Ranger and I ask him once what was the chances of me ever needing my CCW. He said slim to non, but if you need it you will be darn glad you have it.

We live in a small town where violent crime is virtually non existent. We've had a couple of murders but they all seem to be within a family. But many years ago we had three guys kill a Deputy and eventually all three died in the badlands. I haven't heard of any home invasions or muggings but we live in a drug and illegal corridor and we are at the end of a dead end road. We do not go to the door day or night without a gun unless we know someone is coming. Yes, we have had a couple of undesirables.

What scares me is when we go to the outdoor Farmer's Market and Walmart shopping on a Saturday morning. The Farmer's Market is a lot of people and ripe for a terrorist. As all know Walmart seems to be a favorite lately. I had someone ask me once why I carry a gun. I point at the wife and say"I'm her body guard" even though she also carries.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:25 PM
laylow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For me, personally, yes, in a revolver. This mitigated the ignition problems rimfire sometimes has. That's my feeling on the topic, but of course, it's only right for me. I don't care what anyone else does, as long as you carry something you can shoot accurately and safely.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Uturnwilly1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would not be my choice but about 3 years ago a woman in the Atlanta area shot & killed a rapist in her bedroom with 9 shots from 22lr pistol.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glock just released their new model 44 in 22LR.
If I had to use a 22 pistol for defense, it would be that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPI-1mIYlbk
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Earplug80911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Practice

I have arthritis from shooting handguns. I just ordered my second Beretta 71. My first one was a understudy for my SIG 938.
I practice with the Beretta because its painless and fun. I'm pretty sure I can get four accurate hits with the 22LR in less time then two 9MM fired.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Glock just released their new model 44 in 22LR.
If I had to use a 22 pistol for defense, it would be that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPI-1mIYlbk
Why would you trust a brand new pistol model ,from a company that never made a rimfire gun, for self defense? I wouldn't trust any 22 pistol for self defense, the ammo is just too crappy. A revolver, if i had to like my Taurus 990. After 10 shots at least i could beat them to death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5B44E8C-792B-4607-82AC-EACC5C01E995.jpg (504.4 KB, 9 views)