Picked up a Glenfield 75C - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:17 PM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Picked up a Glenfield 75C

After another disappointing gunshow, I went by the local Scheels...I always hit the used gun racks at the LGS, Scheels and Cabelas.

I've been sorta looking for a Model 60, full size or carbine..most of the used ones I've found were almost as much as a new one.

Anyway, came across a 75C...didn't know anything about them...but the price was right and it was in OK enough condition.
18" barrel, 14+1 tube, barrel band with swivel. Trigger guard screws were buggered up, barrel band and stock area is dinged up..looks like the hole in the stock for the front swivel is off center, making installing a pain. Otherwise, standard signs of use, worn finish on the high spots, dings in the stock...no rust, or serious wear.

I mounted up an old Bushnell custom22 3-7x with the dovetail built into the scope body. It's a neat little scope, but ain't gonna cut it. Can't focus at 25yds.

Tried a few different types of ammo today. Auto Match, CCI Mini mags, CCI SV, Fed Gold medal target, SK Std+, Eley and RWS subsonic

It choked on the mini mags consistently, and intermittently on the Auto Match
50/50 on Eley subs, but everything else functioned fine.

Do they not like HV ammo?

Eley shot very well of course, CCI SV kept it in the black of an A17 target at 25yds.

So...anything I need to know about them..not gonna spend alot on it right now. Buffer looked in good condition.

I took the little custom22 off, and put a Bushnell Sportview 4-12x40 that has an AO down to 20yds on it, for the next range trip.

Any recommendations for scopes, and ring height to clear the rear sight? Looking at the Weaver 2-7x, but probably not right now.

Anything else?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:19 AM
jerryray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would first look up the "Nickel trick" for Marlin semi-autos on youtube to make sure your ejector wire is adjusted correctly. Then maybe a new recoil spring. Those two things clear up most functioning issues. I have a Nikon rimfire II 3-9 on a Marlin 60. It's a large scope but good quality. I just use the Weaver rings you can get from Walmart for $8.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:53 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two old Model 60s, bought used, that I put scopes on. One has a Nikon rimfire 4x32 scope (since discontinued) and the other has a Leupold 2-7x28 I took off another gun. The Weaver 2.5-7x28 is essentially the same scope, just less costly, Natchez has them listed for $110, but with a $10 off for orders over $100. Both of my scopes are mounted using Traditions A797DS medium rings, $7.32 at Amazon, that one of my LGS offered as a cost effective alternative to some of the pricier Weaver & Burris rings. No problem with those rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like it needs a new recoil spring.
Order from Marlin itself, or J&P Springs or MCarbo.

If the buffer is WHITE, go ahead and replace it too.
Lifetime has expired...probably hard as a rock.
New black ones are pliable and give proper cushion.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 PM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
Sounds like it needs a new recoil spring.
Order from Marlin itself, or J&P Springs or MCarbo.

If the buffer is WHITE, go ahead and replace it too.
Lifetime has expired...probably hard as a rock.
New black ones are pliable and give proper cushion.
I just ordered both from Brownells.

Found some vids on youtube on replacing both.