Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM
shootbrownelk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
I like an even older period, the early 20th century as shown in the cheap novels about Doc Savage and The Shadow. It's hilarious what counted as high-tech back then! Like wristwatches! And flashlights! Aaannnddd.....gyrocopters!
I'd like one of James Bond's 007 "Jet Packs" for elk hunting. My knees are shot. He had that in the mid sixties. Of course now 007 is a black woman. WTH?
Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
We're going to try to keep buying cars that are made in 1989 or earlier. It will be difficult. But I saw a couple of beautiful Acura Legends with under 70K miles each, 5-speeds, for auction in the past week. Mid 1980s Toyota Landcruisers are selling in the $35K range now.

If my regular commuter car could be a BMW 2000 or a Mercedes 250C I'd be a very happy guy.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:59 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
There's been a tad more refinement on the last than the first two in the last century.
While that is true, the originals are no slouches, even by today's standards. The only material issue I have with original 1911s is the sights, and if I were 30 years younger, that may not be as much of an issue. With the 30-06, the original spec of 150 grain projectiles at 2700 fps muzzle velocity is in the sweet spot for most hunting situations, and surpasses most common modern infantry cartridges in terms of flexibility (at the expense of recoil).

So, in essence, I think Tom makes an outstanding couple of points. But, as you point out, the improvements are much appreciated!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Intelligent people will make the things they want with the technology they have at hand.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtrack View Post
Imagine how many of the older cars would still be running if they had the lubricants of today.
Some, but probably not many. Body and interior falling apart sealed the fate of most older cars. Too expensive to repair, even if the mechanicals are still in good shape.

Years ago a friend of mine bought a Mercedes with a diesel engine, because they "last forever." I told him "yeah, but who would want it to?"
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Years ago a friend of mine bought a Mercedes with a diesel engine, because they "last forever." I told him "yeah, but who would want it to?"
Me.

Mine is now 35 years old, and on its second engine. I have zero intentions of replacing it - my daughter can drive it home from my funeral.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Me.

Mine is now 35 years old, and on its second engine. I have zero intentions of replacing it - my daughter can drive it home from my funeral.
And I bet it's a beautiful motor vehicle.