Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:43 AM
KK100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
buckmark pistol; most accurate ammo?

Whats most accurate ammo for the buckmark pistol? (blacklabel)
Old 11-24-2019, 08:59 AM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm not sure what will be the most accurate in your pistol, but my Buckmark shoots SK Standard, CCI SV, CCI Green Tag and, surprisingly, Federal's #510 load very well. CCI Blazers as well.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Mark2506
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At target range a slower bullet will be the most accurate, that will be the lead standard velocity. I shot a lot of local competition (on the winning side) and shot on the 2nd Marine Division Rifle and Pistol team and we always shot the a fore mentioned ammunition. Each barrel will "like" a certain brand over others, so I always took an unfamiliar pistol to the range with six to ten different brands of standard ammunition to see which gave me the best group. One will always be a little better. After shooting a new pistol awhile you may try this again to see if the preferred brand holds true, Another old trick for a new barrel (rifles included) is to get some valve grinding compound and put a small amount (around edge of bullet) on about three bullets and fire them through the barrel in the beginning. This will clean and smooth the bore of any minute particles and this avoids the old perception of shooting a hundred rounds or so through a new barrel to "season" it before competition. (really saves $$ especially on big bore hunting ammunition. This is not something I read or folk lore as I have done this for years. True, a little hard to swallow my first time, but a believer since then. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 08:54 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As already said,

Any 40gr. Standard Velocity, will shoot better than HV ammo. Then you start by checking brands.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:17 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most likely any good quality 40 grain ammo will shoot better at 25 yards than you can hold. Buckmarks have very good barrels. CCI standard velocity will be a good bench mark but I bet you'll find federal 510 and mini mag to be pretty comparable off hand.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:01 AM
KK100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know about testing, checking brands etc, I just want some hints what direction to look for.
As buying ammo is not so easy here. Its restricted. And I hate buying ammo it doesnt like cause thats a waste of money as I cant use it for anything else.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:07 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok,
Better prospective now. Did not realize you were in a restricted situation. Best all around accurate not break the budget ammo is definitely CCI SV.

Good Luck, where are you located.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Buckmark is not a highend pistol, so I do not see the need to feed it highend ammo. I have a Buck Mark Contour Stainless URX and my go to ammo is CCI SV. It runs reliably and is accurate...same raged hole at 10 yards off a rest.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:08 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a suggestion. I use Eley Target for practice, and Eley Club for matches. My old Buckmark Target 5.5 loves the stuff, as does my son's 2016 Buckmark Hunter.

As a competitive shooter, I care about practical accuracy, so attached is an example from last Thursday of what my Buckmark Target 5.5 can do, standing, 1-handed, at 25 yards. The X-ring on that target is 1.695" diameter.

If you care more about potential accuracy, I can tell you from past testing, that, when shooting while resting the gun on a sandbag, it makes 10-shot groups that are about 1" diameter at 25 yards. That's a good goal for a Buckmark (1" at 25yds from a sandbag), and an indication that you've found ammo that it likes. I'm sure the groups would be even smaller from a Ransom Rest.

As others have suggested, you really need to get a box of several different types of SV ammo, and test them in your gun. For example, my Target 5.5 does not like CCI SV very much, but my son's Hunter shoots it just fine.

To find ammo to test... Unless money is no object, you need to decide what your max price per round is. If you're not sure where to start, think about it this way... if you shoot 100 rounds per week, that's about 5,000 rounds per year... so what's your yearly ammo budget for this gun? Maybe start with 15 cents per round ($750 per case of 5,000 rounds), or 10 cents ($500 per case), or even 5 cents ($250 per case). Don't even look at ammo over your price limit. Use AmmoSeek to look at each ammo manufacturer's SV offerings that are actually for sale and in stock somewhere, to see what ammo is under your price limit. Buy a 50-round box of each type for testing. Suggested manufacturers to start with: Eley, Lapua, RWS, SK, Wolf, CCI, Aguila, Norma, Federal.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target_100-8x.jpg (191.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by rdas; 11-25-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 PM
wolfzinAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2506 View Post
At target range a slower bullet will be the most accurate, that will be the lead standard velocity. I shot a lot of local competition (on the winning side) and shot on the 2nd Marine Division Rifle and Pistol team and we always shot the a fore mentioned ammunition. Each barrel will "like" a certain brand over others, so I always took an unfamiliar pistol to the range with six to ten different brands of standard ammunition to see which gave me the best group. One will always be a little better. After shooting a new pistol awhile you may try this again to see if the preferred brand holds true, Another old trick for a new barrel (rifles included) is to get some valve grinding compound and put a small amount (around edge of bullet) on about three bullets and fire them through the barrel in the beginning. This will clean and smooth the bore of any minute particles and this avoids the old perception of shooting a hundred rounds or so through a new barrel to "season" it before competition. (really saves $$ especially on big bore hunting ammunition. This is not something I read or folk lore as I have done this for years. True, a little hard to swallow my first time, but a believer since then. Mark
I saw your comment re: "valve grinding compound and put a small amount (around edge of bullet) on about three bullets and fire them through the barrel in the beginning." This is colloquially called "fire polishing." The actual fire polish process is to load special large caliber cartridges at a very, very reduced velocity, i.e. .30-06, 180 grain bullets at 1000 fps (using Unique type powder). The thought is using full velocity bullets will "etch" your barrel in "odd ways" accelerating the wear on the barrel's lead in and exiting lands.

I'm not saying this process doesn't work for .22 Lr and Mag. I do it all the time using a 1200 grit from a NECO fire polishing kit.

I hope this helps1