Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:39 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Yup, I turned a corner at an intersection where there were no street lights and came to an abrupt brake slamming halt as about four kids on their bikes and their mother jammed across a crosswalk. All the kids were wearing dark clothing, on black bikes, and the kids were black kids. The mom started yelling at me "can't you see them?" So, hoping to wake her up to her situation I yelled back " of course I can't see them- dark clothes and bikes on an unlit street?" I think she got the message...

Bob
And:

"...Didn't you see my car coming? It has lights!"
Old 11-14-2019, 04:00 PM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Not to veer away from the subject,but look at how many people get hit by trains each year.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When my dad taught me to drive 50 years ago he said” theres two places for your right foot, gas pedal or brake. Residential area , always the brake!”

One of the benefits of winter, in the north, is fewer bikes and pedestrians out there.

Chicago is becoming a bike friendly city. Complete with bike lanes et al. Now we got to get them to follow the traffic laws, like stopping at red lights, i asked , how they could be unlicensed and uninsured and use the roads. I was ignored.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:03 PM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Have/had a woman in the two mile radius area who would be zipping around on roller skates with headphones dancing all over the road/side walks. She wouldn't look for any on coming vehicular traffic thus causing lots of unnecessary brake slamming. Whenever she caused this type of commotion, she would just speed away on her skates. Hadn't seen her for the last couple on months thank goodness. Figure she either moved, or PD got after her, or she got hit.
With the headphones, probably blaring rock, rap or some other loud music, she probably didn't even know/care that anyone else was around, driving, walking or skating.

"A man has to know his limitations."
Old 11-14-2019, 05:25 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Unfortunately, in this day and age, If you hit a pedestrian, no matter how immature or dangerous their behavior is, you will be automatically at fault, and may be cited! Insurance companies, being the cowardly entities that they are, would rather settle than attempt to defend their customer, even given the most careless behavior on the part of the person hit.

In our state, there doesn't have to be a marked crosswalk, just any intersection. That's the law, poorly enforced and largely unrecognized by drivers. I stopped to allow a woman to cross at such a place, and an impatient idiot pulled around me, nearly hitting the woman. Jerque!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
The mom started yelling at me "can't you see them?" So, hoping to wake her up to her situation I yelled back " of course I can't see them- dark clothes and bikes on an unlit street?" I think she got the message...
I wouldn't bet on it!
Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread has reminded me of an incident probably 20 years ago.

Driving home with my probably 10-year-old son in the passenger seat when I suddenly slammed on the brakes and came to a screeching halt.
For a second I didn't know why, I didn't see anything and had no conscious thought of any hazards.
I must have noticed something because I had stopped with a young kid on a bicycle stopped about 2 feet in front of my truck, dead center in the road. Black kid with black clothes on a black bike with no lights or reflectors.
If I hadn't stopped he would be dead.
His eyes were like saucers, I had scared the hell out of him (as it should be) and I hope he never crossed in front of a vehicle again.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:15 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've had a lot, delivery driver for ten years, but the one that stands out to me was in a small redneck town called Newport. In a snowstorm, at night, two people in snow camo walking down the middle of an unlit street.

Great place to go for smallmouth bass.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 08:58 PM
S&WK-22

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
In my residential neighborhood, corner with no stop sign or marked crosswalk. Young lady with black hair and all black clothing walked in front of me. Slammed on the brakes a few yards from hitting her. Scared the carp out of both of us. She did have white headphones on though. Guess I should have seen them?

And they say opiates are bad for people...
Common sense is not a flower that grows in her garden.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Terrifying situation. Good job at catching sight of that person in time.

I always try to back into my driveway so my mini-van is facing the street for the morning. I have lots of elementary school kids heading to their bus stop when I'm taking my own to MS. Even though the light is good in the AM it's tough to see the little ones at times.

Years ago, 1990s, I witnessed a person attempt to dart across 4 lanes of a NYC Avenue in broad daylight, around noon. Although a van tried to stop, the person was hit almost in the center of the vans front. I'd guess the van had slowed from about 40mph to 10mph at impact. Tossed him about 15ft in the air onto the pavement. Myself and a colleague were able to called 911 and attempted to render assistance. Poor guy was unconscious and bleeding pretty bad from a head wound, but breathing. An ambulance most have been right near by, because they arrived very quickly, along with the cops. I gave a statement to the responding officer that the driver did the best he could. I'll never forget how loud the impact was. I never found out how the guy fared. That was a tough day. But it was a lot tougher for the driver and the guy who got hit.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Leonard T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So what we have here is a failure of the educational system and parental units. They failed to teach these mush brained individuals that a 3500lb auto traveling at 25-30 mph takes 45-60ft or more to stop. You walking off the sidewalk onto the street can stop in 3ft. That is less than the width of a parked car next to the curb. How about these people pull their head out of their anal orifice and be aware of what they are doing. As a driver we have so many things to watch for, the dip turd walking/biking should be more alert and responsible for their actions. I feel better now have a great evening everybody
Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
When i used to ride I had neon yellow jacket 4 lights on the front wheel lights and two tail lights. And Still got hit at night.
By a Volvo?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing worse than a "Salmon Ninja" bicyclist. "Salmon" - riding against traffic. "Ninja" - dark clothes, dark bike, and NO LIGHTS!

As for peds - we've got it backwards. Only in America do the peds have the right of way - everywhere else, the cars do and peds have to actually wait for the light to change, or cross on their own peril - which actually works better for the peds as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drivers are not always right. I got hit in a cross walk with walk light on. Driver took off. I had a fractured pelvis and an injured hip. I was on crutches for several months and used a cane for several more months. It was two years before I could go back to my normal job in construction. I had to take other jobs after 6 months. My uninsured motorist insurance and auto medical covered me to their limits. You dont have to be in a car to collect. Just in an accident involving a car.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many of todays cars have large A pillars restricting view of peds in crosswalks if you are turning. My old 09 F150 was horrible in this respect. Between the oversized stylish mirrors and the A pillars peds were hard to see. Once aware of this I became extra cautious when driving in town. Lately we've been making regular trips to OSU and my biggest fear driving in campus is student taking no responsibility for their own safety around cars.