https://www.fieldandstream.com/dont-...-woodsmanship/

Old 09-24-2019, 03:32 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for sharing, Sophia!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Excellent

article. Thanks Sophia.

Woodsmanship is certainly not part of the newer hunting clan(s). It's great to see the eyelashes on a deer! And not through a rifle scope. Figuring out where and why that critter does what he does is the best part, then setting up to determine if what you did was correct!

Thanks again.

Pat G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 AM
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
An interesting article I think the squirrel hunters will enjoy:

Don't Let the Long-Range Craze Kill Woodsmanship

Very good article and thanks for sharing it with us! I fully enjoyed it and will keep it marked for future reads!

Rick
Old 09-24-2019, 12:54 PM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with this article. I started out muzzleloading for deer - when it was a patched roundball, blackpowder and open sights. Most shots taken were under a 100 yds. I know it made ME a better STALKER/HUNTER. Not dissing on long range. Both have their own levels of difficulty. Kudos to those who do both well.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree the long range thing has gone crazy its hype to sell products everyone wants to be a Sniper. I have only shot one Deer past 40yds,and have killed my share with iron sighted muzzle loaders that i built myself.I use a scope on my rimfire squirrel rifles and my center fire rifles because of my eyes,i use a modified peep on my muzzleloader.
Go on you-tube and check out videos by The Real Gunsmith see want he has to say about LR hunting or shooting.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:04 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A great article, and one the expresses the feelings of most hunters on this forum. Squirrel hunting will certainly "make a hunter" out of you, I know it did me. I am a die-hard bird hunter mostly, and live 3 months out of the year with a shotgun in my hand. But once the cold of winter sets in, and the freezer is full of quail and a deer or two, I'm going to grab my trusty .22 and head to the woods for some squirrel hunting. Sitting on a log and watching a den tree, or listening and stalking, or (here lately) following a good Cur dog is some of the finest hunting a person can get. There's certainly a measure of pride (and skill) involved in popping a golfball size target at the top of a giant oak tree. And if I can come home with a limit, so much the better!

Mac
Old 09-24-2019, 03:12 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dutchmac, i had a yellow mountain Cur back yes ago that was probly best i ever saw on Squirrels.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:36 PM
guther

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:

There is more truth in that story than most regular hunters will ever know. The people that get this can hunt effectively any animal.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
The vast majority of shots that I have taken at squirrels over the years have been fifty yards or closer. Ever once in a while you can happen to see one at a longer distance, but around here the woods are very thick with multiple canopy/underbrush, and those long rangers are the exception rather than the rule. Can't see them, can't shoot them. The only deer I have ever killed was shot from less than 20 yards. I was sitting quietly watching for squirrels, dozed off in the warmth of the sunlight coming through the trees and it walked right up on me. I guess that a lot of folks fantasize about Western style big game hunting, where spotting critters at long distances is possible. Most deer around here are shot from box blinds and tree stands, often at shorter distances. There are some places where there are clear cuts of timber tracts where long shots could happen.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Shifty View Post
dutchmac, i had a yellow mountain Cur back yes ago that was probly best i ever saw on Squirrels.
Friend of mine has a yellow cur too. He's a fine dog, and the reason I still own my Browning SA-22. No better dog-running gun was ever made, imho.

Mac
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 AM
ywaltzucanrknrl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good article, thanks for posting Sophia.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:48 PM
ricky280

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:

Thanks Sophia, I know Will personally, met him when he was going to MSU in Murray,Ky..He brought a shotgun to my shop for repair..He is a down to earth country boy family man, has killed a lot of big game, but he takes squirrel hunting as serious as if he was hunting Elk.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Flyguy65
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Article

This was a great article. I agree that the long range hunting craze is out of control. Hunting ethics have given way to hunting ego and self aggrandizement. There are countless videos on youtube showing ridiculous shots being taken and hitting the target but you have to know that for every 400-700 yard video where the shot took out the elk or deer, there were plenty videos which never made it to youtube of wounded animals that wandered off and suffered prior to dying because of a poorly placed shots that never should have been taken.

I dont want this to be an indictment of hunters or shooting sports but we need to spend more time teaching hunting ethics in hunter safety classes. Our quarry deserves our best efforts
Old 09-27-2019, 10:28 PM
ohiobeagler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy65 View Post
This was a great article. I agree that the long range hunting craze is out of control. Hunting ethics have given way to hunting ego and self aggrandizement. There are countless videos on youtube showing ridiculous shots being taken and hitting the target but you have to know that for every 400-700 yard video where the shot took out the elk or deer, there were plenty videos which never made it to youtube of wounded animals that wandered off and suffered prior to dying because of a poorly placed shots that never should have been taken.

I dont want this to be an indictment of hunters or shooting sports but we need to spend more time teaching hunting ethics in hunter safety classes. Our quarry deserves our best efforts
I agree 110%. Well said!