Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Wallbass45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
COPD and Hunting

This condition is new to me and was wondering how you guys are handling the O2 portability ?? I recently ditched the O2 on wheels to a C6 tank. Thanks for your thoughts on this matter
Old 09-12-2019, 01:52 AM
Wallbass45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I guess no body has it or doesn't Hunt or Fish any more. It's not going to stop me
Old 09-12-2019, 08:16 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have not studied the equipment used . Your don't let it stop you attitude is probably the best equipment you have. Just keep getting out there ! Good luck on the hunts . WJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 AM
MissedEm
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have COPD as well but not on oxygen (yet). Missed out on the Great Shawnee shootout last ear due to it. Slows me down (a lot) but I choose where I hunt and just "keep doing". A bad day hunting is still better than sitting in the easy chair wishing you were out there.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
COPD

I am not afflicted with COPD but you might consider an O2 concentrator as one portable option. They weigh about 3lbs and can fit into a backpack or waist pack.

Irish
Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
COPD challenged also, no oxygen yet but I've learned to moderate my activities, still shoot some but avoid hot weather/high humidity. A concentrator can be pretty noisy, don't know how that would work out in the woods.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:12 PM
lscocoa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the c6 a small tank , how long does it last? I ask cause being disabled can happen to anyone. Could it fit in a small back pack like a camel back system. The concentrator if to noisy could be in the vehicle to get you there and home. Iím no expert but I see people who donít do or try because of their problems. Your last sentence ď Itís not going to stop meĒ says it all , good luck and happy hunting.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying to figure out how to best answer this with my training.
Have a few question before I can really give you a good answer.
Are you using a straight oxygen tank with a regulator. or do you have the pulse model that runs on a battery? What is your o2 regulator set for?Depending on what you are running will allow me to give you rough estimate of how much you need with you. I have seen the portable concentrator but only dealt with the home ones. If you go portable concentrator and are going to need to make sure it comes with two extra batterie and that it will run off your car. Even with that you will still have to carry a tank just in case.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Wallbass45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Trying to figure out how to best answer this with my training.
Have a few question before I can really give you a good answer.
Are you using a straight oxygen tank with a regulator. or do you have the pulse model that runs on a battery? What is your o2 regulator set for?Depending on what you are running will allow me to give you rough estimate of how much you need with you. I have seen the portable concentrator but only dealt with the home ones. If you go portable concentrator and are going to need to make sure it comes with two extra batterie and that it will run off your car. Even with that you will still have to carry a tank just in case.
This whole mess started in March when they diagnosed me with a Anurated (Spelling don't count) Aorta ( None operable) is do to the COPD. Doctor said " Enjoy life while I can", and I'm going to !!!

MY SET UP
They issued me a O2 generator on wheels that weighed twelve pounds and was loud and the batteries only lasted one and a half hours( Not very portable).
I finally got them to let me have a C6 tank that is the size of a half gallon of milk, with a on demand regulator and weigh's five pounds. I found that it fits a small Hydration Pack perfectly with hose coming out the water hose hole then clips onto the shoulder strap. It will last 8-10 hours, its quiet and have an extra bottle in the truck. Tanks are refilled at home and takes about two hours to fill on a O2 generator. NEVER GIVE UP !!!!! Also there is plenty of room for Ammo, Lunch and my Albuterol inhaler

Last edited by Wallbass45; 09-12-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbass45 View Post
This whole mess started in March when they diagnosed me with a Anurated (Spelling don't count) Aorta ( None operable) is do to the COPD. Doctor said " Enjoy life while I can", and I'm going to !!!

MY SET UP
They issued me a O2 generator on wheels that weighed twelve pounds and was loud and the batteries only lasted one and a half hours( Not very portable).
I finally got them to let me have a C6 tank that is the size of a half gallon of milk, with a on demand regulator and weigh's five pounds. I found that it fits a small Hydration Pack perfectly with hose coming out the water hose hole then clips onto the shoulder strap. It will last 8-10 hours, its quiet and have an extra bottle in the truck. Tanks are refilled at home and takes about two hours to fill on a O2 generator. NEVER GIVE UP !!!!! Also there is plenty of room for Ammo, Lunch and my Albuterol inhaler
Sounds like you have it under control. Only thing I can suggest is make sure you change cannelures regularly. Also if you are oxygen concentrator at home. Check with the supplier and ask for swivel connectors if you are using extension hose. It will help prevent tangles.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2019, 02:24 AM
Wallbass45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good to know, I will do that. They didn't say anything about changing, Why is that a good thing ?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbass45 View Post
Good to know, I will do that. They didn't say anything about changing, Why is that a good thing ?
Because of the condensation. You don't want something funky to grow in the tubes.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A few years ago I was diagnosed with COPD (mild, I guess) and have had to go in for the ER neb treatment a couple times, as well as carry the rescue inhaler. I can only imagine how serious your situation is, but attitude is sooo important.
The thing that surprised me the first time I had to go to the ER was that under very little exertion I ran out of breath, and in trying to get my breath I could not....ie, when I realized I couldnt breath was when I Needed To Breath. At that point one does not have a lot of 'resources' left. Reminded me of stories of scuba divers having tank/regulator trouble. Thankfully I am not compromised much.
Goodonya for still getting out and doing things, that is what life is for
Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Wallbass45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Because of the condensation. You don't want something funky to grow in the tubes.

Thanks for the input, They never fold me that. Oh also I'm on two liters O2. I just take it slow and use the Electric Buggy's at the Grocery store
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 AM
BKS
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good on you for LIVING your life. Best wishes for a great season.