Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Flyguy65
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Most factory target guns are not in the $1000 range. Maybe the ones you like are, but youíre not a novice. But he can buy heavy barreled Savages, Marlins, Rugers, CZs all good guns for a novice for $500 or less. And donít make fun of California when you live in its Northern Suburbs! Cause Oregon is closer to mind control than you realize

So stop trying to scare the new kids!

TooMany,

Thank you. It needed to be said. Not the California Part (Cali for us midwesterners is still over the top ) but I agree on the Oregon part. And I also agree there are some great guns for under $500 that Caley will really enjoy and they fit his description perfect
Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 PM
MichaelCalv
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am also new to Rimfire Rifles.

Here are a couple of suggestions for rifles.

Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle usually referred as RPRR

or

CZ 457 AT-ONE

Ammunition

Check out SK Rifle Match

This ammunition is on par with Eley Match
I get mine from Graf and Sonís
Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 PM
swanem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sooooo... Welcome to the world of money and more money. My family shoots competitively. We all have our favorite rifles, and each rifle has its own favorite ammo.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer. Daughter, #4 in the state of LA for junior Silhouette, loves her Savage B22. It loves the Geco match ammo.

Both son and daughter like their 10/22. Son's rifle favors the Aguila pistol match, while daughter's loves the Geco semi auto.

Son has a CZ455 American, great rifle BTW, used for silhouette, also likes the Aguila pistol match. He also has a Savage FT-T (if you want to shoot open sights, this is the rifle to buy)

I own a Winchester 190, loves thunderbolt.

Each has their own merit. Depending on what your goal is, choose that style of rifle. Watch for sales. Talk to your local FFL, sometimes they get discounts. NRA offers discounts. Hold each rifle. Play, fondle, caress.

Go to your local range, I'll let anyone shoot any of my firearms as long as they're safe and polite. Find what feels good and go with that.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 PM
Rowdyjoe
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AFter shooing mine since last Christmas, I can recommend the Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle. It will shoot sub-MOA groups with factory CCI standard velocity ammo (available almost anywhere ammo is sold) and you can find the rifle for $400 (+ 0r -a few $) in most sporting goods stores.
You're mileage may vary on the price and availability since you live in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

BTW ...I served in the USAF for 21 years and for 18 yrs of that I conducted marksmanship training for those airmen (officers and enlisted) who were required to be armed on duty or were going PCS into a war zone. Until the day I retired (1 Nov. '84) anyone who shot "expert" with the rifle or pistol was awarded the "Marksmanship" ribbon (providing the squadron admin did their job). It can't be revoked nor can you earn it more than once. If you have evidence that you achieved that goal, contact the USAF personnel office and have them correct your DD214. Probably should have had that done before you retired as it will likely be more difficult now.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marksmanship Award USAF

RowdyJoe, Thanks for your service. I appreciate the sacrifice you and so many other veterans made to secure our freedom.

Yes, I noted the Ruger Precision Rimfire, and book marked it along with three other rifles. A lot will depend on just what my local gun shop and Marine Corp Exchange can actually order here in California. I don't know the restrictions, other than we are not allowed to have ammo clips that can handle more than 10 rounds.

I will learn just what rifle I can get, once I get through the difficulties with getting a Federally accepted State Drivers License, and then get the weapons/ammo permit. Have one more month to wait for my appointment with the DMV to see if I can get that Federally accepted Drivers License. Apparently they do not approve all requests for such.

I looked at my DD Form 214, and it does include that ribbon. Duties required I be proficient with both the M-16 and 38 revolver. With the 38, they actually required be shoot what I think was a combat version of the test, where we shot from different positions and also off hand. Surprisingly I also qualified marksman in that. Yes, my 214 only indicates one ribbon.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:46 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was able to handle a Ruger American Target today. It was $500. While I loved the feel of the gun I would still rather have the CZ for a bit more. I have a couple of Ruger Americans and the bent steel extractor leaves a lot to be desired. Ruger should have gone with a savage style extractor/ejector on the American series rimfires. rc
Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM
jazzsax8

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Kimber 82G

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
It is hard to get a really good target rifle for $500.

The CMP Kimber 82G comes to mind.

Decent target rifles arenít cheap.

A used Remington 40X would be our of your price range, but a good value.

There are different competitions with sporting rifles that may be more to you liking. Maybe even silhouette competition.

I have only read the 1st page of this thread but M2HB has this dialed in on the Kimber 82G. On a windless day mine has consistently put 5 shots into 3/4" at 100 yards using CCI SV.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 AM
oldguy1007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First you need to figure out if you want to do small bore competition or just shot for fun. If it is competition then a good single shot target rifle is a must. As someone said the new anschutz are pricey but you can often find a used one for much more reasonable prices.
The ones to look at are Match 54 and Match 64. The 64 are intended more for youths but are quite good and much less than a corresponding 54. The 54 have been used in National and International competitions for years.
Models to look for: Match 54 - 1400 series, 1800 series. The 1400's are from late 60's to the 70's
The 1800's are in the late 70's to 80's.
Specific models the XX07 were considered the woman's model being a bit lighter around 11-12 lbs. The XX13 is know as the Supermatch and is a bit longer and heavier, about 14-15lbs. Personally I think the Match 54 is the one to go for but I am biased as I have two. I find the supermatch too heavy
For the Match 64 - those would be models with numbers ending in 03 suck as 1403, 1803 and so forth. Very good rifles and a couple of pounds lighter than the xx07's.
Honestly go to a competition and talk to people and see if they would let you try out their rifles. Often you have to attend a Jr. Match to find the 64's.
Good luck and enjoy - I have switched to purely prone competitions due to bad knees but I am having a blast
Old 08-23-2019, 11:30 AM
boltman13
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KISS

Omit the Stupid part. You show great foresight by getting advice from this forum. Your preliminary choice is rock solid. Buy a rifle, buy a scope, find the amo it likes, shoot often, have fun. I also have restless leg syndrome. Mirapex helps me, but two Tylenol Extra Strength at bed time also helps. I take the Mirapex at 1800 and go to bed about 2130. Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:33 PM
Edgur1943

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A single shot bolt action 22 lr would be the right choice. I got a Remington 40X, 1st month of 1st year of production with Redfield International receiver and olympic front with inserts as well as a "Limer" 4X scope for $550. 95% condition except the bolt release/stop was binding and not retaining the bolt. Easy fix with a file.
It was on Proxibid online auctions. It now wears a Weaver K8-1 AO and makes ragged one hole 5 shot groups at 50 yds. It is quite heavy, though. 11 lbs?

Also, a CZ 452Lux w/5 shot magazine is nearly as accurate. Cost $160 on Proxibid. It wears a Weaver K6 C-1 which leaves a lot to be desired as scopes go because it is set to be parallax free at 100yds. Careful eye alignment with the optical axis makes it parallax free at 50 yds. Looking to get a 4-12/16 X AO or side parallax adjust.
My point is that a used rifle, especially if you can try it out first, is a great way to get into the sport. Good luck and happy paper punching to you.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:29 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remember, buy once, cry once. Dont buy something you will want to or have to replace in a year.

A great motto..

This shooting season around here at least is coming to an end quickly. Might be better to continue to save till March or April and then get the 'one time purchase'
and perhaps save a cry/buy..
Old 08-23-2019, 02:50 PM
Siloshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBigDog1955 View Post
OP If u want to shoot the 100 yard targets make sure u get a scope in the 48 to 50 power range so u have a small view angle. Most will give u a 2 foot + - view angle and then u can start to shoot at the bulls 1/4" in size and see then real well.
As for a gun I always purchase a scope first and then a rifle.
This is my favorite with a Sightron 10x50x60 MOA-H. I put it on a 1710D HB and they shoot well together.

OP The above guy knows what he is talking about. Save your money and get this exact setup. You need a big, clear scope for 100 yard shooting or precision 50 yard target shooting. Get the equipment used if you have to. Doesn't get much better for sporter BR shooting than that Sightron and an Anschutz 1710 D HB. You will win matches. Otherwise, CZs are great guns and I have quite a few but I win with my stock Anschutz 1710 D HB.
You will get 50 yard groups about the size of a nickle or less depending on ammo and skill.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 PM
TonyDesmond

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I competed for a few yrs and won at the club level ,you can do fairly well with a used mossberg lsa or lsb 144 with peep sights ,but mossberg triggers suck .I used a CMP H&R M-12 with a 36X BSA scope to win with,but I started out with mossbergs ...If you could find a used cz and put in a trigger kit that would be a great start to target shooting ..Your going to be in shock when you see prices of target ammo ,its almost 20$ for a ox of 50 .not 500 .
You will find most are pretty friendly and helpful at your local matches ,people even let me use guns and equipment when I was new ...To me its mostly ammo and trigger and once you get to a certain level it becomes a money game scopes,barrel tuners,custom rifles ,it can get really expensive .
Well good luck
Old 08-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having Fun Right Now

I know Everyone means well, but I will stay within my budget of Rifle $500 +/- $100 or so. The scope has already been suggested, which comes in around $250 or less.

My shooting season is year round. I live in the Mojave Desert, 29Palms, California. So the only time it isn't shooting weather is if we get rain or wind. I plan on saving and getting my stuff around Christmas, or whenever I manage to get my firearms permit. It might take longer if I have to keep waiting a month or appointments for each step.

Anyway, I make do with my Daisy Avanti 753. I tried to extend it out to 50 yards, but my scope got maxed out for up elevation, and I had nothing to aim at except air, So I went back to 25 yards, and proceeded to punch out the center of the target. The majority of my pellets hit within a quarter sized point, though I did manage to jerk four shots off target. So I got to the point where I needed another challenge. I started trying to shoot the four tips of the orange arrows on the target. I got the one at 12 o'clock, but only managed to scare the other three arrow tips.

I spent nearly 4 hours shooting about 100 pellets. Most got into that center portion, except for about the 25 shots attempting to hit the target at 50 yards.

My opinion is that with the current setup I have, 753 and UTG 3-9X32 1" BugBuster Scope, AO, RGB Mil-dot, the setup is only good for 25 yards shooting. If I can find a scope that has a lot of up elevation adjustment, then it probably would work at 50 yards. I just don't know if there are scopes that can elevate up a lot more than the current scope, the UTG

But I know one thing. I definitely need more of a challenge than 25 yards, and that isn't going to happen until I can get a 22lr rifle. But like I said, I have a budget, and will stick with it. I will just get the best I can for the money, and the rifle is not going to be a used one. I'm firm on that point.

CaleyAnn
Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley View Post

Anyway, I make do with my Daisy Avanti 753.
I have one of those. 50 yards means a lot of hold over. It's less powerful than a more powerful air rifle I tried a couple of decades ago, but the trigger is much better and the iron sights aren't bad. It was good for letting my children slay soda cans.

I've never lived in the desert, but I have lived out in the midst of a lot of cleared farm land. Shooting an accurate 22lr at various long distances is as fun as it gets. I think I could do it all day and not tire of it.

If I had to do it again, I would get a sandbag, or a bag of bean or rice to out between my car and the rifle, something soft but not bouncy, and use a blanket to protect the roof of your car or hood of your truck.