Picked up a 1971 10/22 with EABCO 17HM2 barrel & heavy bolt handle.. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:26 PM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up a 1971 10/22 with EABCO 17HM2 barrel & heavy bolt handle..

It also came with factory stock barrel and bolt handle.

I have been wanting a wood stocked Marlin bolt in 17HM2, seem to be tough to find in my area. I have plenty of ammo, and a Green Mountain barrel that I mount on my 77/22 sometimes.

I want a dedicated 17HM2 rifle, but I read an awful lot about 10/22 conversions being problematic.

I would like to hear from people that are experienced with the now discontinued EABCO barrel and heavy bolt handle.

I could always put it back to factory stock and sell the early carbine and the EABCO conversion and put the money in the Marlin account.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 AM
ma96782
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Read the KaBoom thread.

Aloha, Mark
Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had read about your problems, kinda why I was asking for more peoples experiences with the EABCO conversion.

I will certainly go to the stash of new ammo, and save the old stuff for the 77/17 GM barrel. Thanks for that info.

I have already taken it down and made sure everything was spotless, even the firing pin channel. The next step will be to bust open a new brick of ammo, put on gloves and safety glasses and do some shooting.

Also better remember not to use any "slotted" mags in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM
LarryG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Regarding the EABCO 17hm2 barrel and bolt handle, I had one but no donor gun.
I then traded it because someone else really wanted it.
It turned out to be very accurate, and was completely reliable.
I did warn him not to run it dirty, but to make sure and clean regularly.
He did that.
Of course, particularly for lefties, shooting any semi auto 17HM2, it is highly recommended to use good shooting glasses always, just in case.
Also, there were some early batches (certain lot numbers) of hornady ammo that were prone to splitting. Make sure you don't have any of that ammo.
I believe the lot numbers are on the EABCO website.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:46 PM
fishingsetx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just another FYI, Ive had more split cases in my savage MKII from the new run (both hornady and CCI) than I have ever had with my old run ammo (hornady, CCI, and sone remmington).

May be a fluke or my particular gun, but I get a split/stuck case about every dozen rounds with the new stuff. I get one about every 75-100 rounds with the old

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Grassypond

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I did the EABCO conversion back when they first came out. Never had the first problem out of mine and it is very accurate. Doesnít get as much time in the woods as some of my other Mach 2s but itís still on my lineup of go to squirrel killers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 10:17 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Making a custom 17 mach 2, I would start with a steel receiver.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790774339

You can count on eventually having a kaboom and these will be tougher than the aluminum Ruger receiver. I have a Green Mountain 96/22 barrel and a heavy bolt handle I picked up from Ebay. Never had a kaboom but they can and do happen. I never got the accuracy out of that set up that I did with the 77/17. If you want a 17 mach 2, find a bolt gun. There are plenty out there. A CZ 452 American should be fairly common. The Marlins are also out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789883653
Old 11-20-2018, 11:16 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassypond View Post
I did the EABCO conversion back when they first came out. Never had the first problem out of mine and it is very accurate. Doesnít get as much time in the woods as some of my other Mach 2s but itís still on my lineup of go to squirrel killers.
Was your early EABCO a sporter weight barrel? Mine is, I'm not sure of the history of the EABCO conversions. Seems I see more .920 Bulls than Sporters.
I will try and shoot it after Deer season.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Grassypond

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Was your early EABCO a sporter weight barrel? Mine is, I'm not sure of the history of the EABCO conversions. Seems I see more .920 Bulls than Sporters.

I have the bull barrel on mine. I guess I never paid attention to see that they had made a sporter version as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 11:26 PM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
UPDATE!
Looks like I may never shoot this thing, I found a wood stocked bolt 17HM2. Not the Marlin I was looking for, but a CZ 452 Varmint. Put an old 4-12 AO Weaver with a dot crosshair on it, and life is good.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 AM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good move, I think you're gonna like it.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ HM2

If CZ ever does another run of HM2 bolt guns, they will disappear like a July snow storm in Indiana. Whittakers Guns used to get a few HM2 452s now and then but you had to be there when they took 'em off the truck to get one.

PS. I have two 10/22s (ok, one is a Charger) converted to HM2. Add me to the list of guys who have zero problems with them. Also add me to the list of guys who believe the majority who tell you how bad the conversions are mean well but have never owned one.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:37 PM
t4daddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
If CZ ever does another run of HM2 bolt guns, they will disappear like a July snow storm in Indiana. Whittakers Guns used to get a few HM2 452s now and then but you had to be there when they took 'em off the truck to get one.

PS. I have two 10/22s (ok, one is a Charger) converted to HM2. Add me to the list of guys who have zero problems with them. Also add me to the list of guys who believe the majority who tell you how bad the conversions are mean well but have never owned one.
I've had/ran a Eabco HM2 sporter profile since they first came out without any issues other than a couple of split necks from the early Hornady stuff. I do clean/scrub the chamber every 50 rounds or so, some years I may not even shoot a box through it during bushy tail season. Also have a HMR conversion that runs fine, it gets the same hygiene as above mentioned.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
I've had/ran a Eabco HM2 sporter profile since they first came out without any issues other than a couple of split necks from the early Hornady stuff. I do clean/scrub the chamber every 50 rounds or so, some years I may not even shoot a box through it during bushy tail season. Also have a HMR conversion that runs fine, it gets the same hygiene as above mentioned.
You, sir, have shared the big secret to success with the bottle-neck cartridge conversions. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:29 PM
t4daddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
You, sir, have shared the big secret to success with the bottle-neck cartridge conversions. Thank you!
LOL, I'm pretty certain it was you that gave me the advice. At first I wasn't nearly as diligent with the HM2 until I started hearing these reports. The HMR is several years newer, so I was already aware of the pitfalls.