Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser

Mark.. those Light Strikes are due to a dirty chamber/carbon ring.. scrub with bent brush and Solvent... you got lucky.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma96782 View Post
So then......

Today, 9-9-2018, I took the Ruger 10/22 that was converted to .17 Mach 2 out for a spin. OMG! it was awful.......though educational.

I had several KaBooms.

What's happening?

Well, I suspect that the ammo isn't well crimped.

Maybe that is whats causing overpressure and the KaBooms?

BTW....this is the ammo with the black tips.

So, I switched ammo to this stuff. Note: First Production Run

And, the problems continued......

The score so far? Two magazines destroyed and the day is NOT going well.

So, I change ammo again. This time it's......

So thien, my problems seems to have gone away with this newer ammo.

Aloha, Mark
Looks to ammo related, but you didnt need me for that observation.

I have seen a couple of sleeves of the New HORNADY ammo, here on RFC. That came with some pills that were unusable. Facrory fresh stuff, that had been unopened.
Personally, I dont think the round is meant for autoloaders...just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM
ma96782
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Chaser.

I took the Ruger apart and cleaned it, paying attention to the chamber. And of course, I put it back together with some new oil and grease in the appropriate places.

BTW, I did find that the aftermarket, "plastic bolt buffer" was nicked where it meets up with the receiver. So, I replaced it. It was the first time that I've seen that failure.

And, for the people wondering about doing experiments with a conversion to .17 Mach 2 on their own Ruger 10/22. Well, I finally remembered to weigh the bolt and bolt handle from my E.A. Brown kit. I'll probably post the weights in that other thread that talked about adding tungsten to the bolt.*

Note: The E.A. Brown kit was (simply said) a .17 Mach 2 chambered barrel and a specially weighted bolt handle. You were suppose to use your factory bolt with the kit. E.A. Brown no longer offers the kit for sale.

But, when you think about it.....springs also contribute to holding the bolt closed against the blow back of the cartridge when it's set off. Sorry, but I can't provide information about my spring weights. I don't know if the previous owner of my rifle did anything with that. And besides, springs have a tendency to loose a bit of power over the years.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....*that tungsten bolt thread is here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...light=tungsten

Last edited by ma96782; 09-17-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Does anyone remember Skeeters (RT) rod assembly return spring that was about 6-7 inches looooong? His idea was trim as much off as you need to.. tune it by trimming...IIRC he called it the progressive rate spring.... if anyone wants it let me know... Mark, this spring may be the ticket.

Last edited by Chaser; 09-17-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Master Blaster

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The real issue here that is the cause of these case head blowouts is the fact that the .22lr actions all of these semautos are blowback actions. In order to safely shoot a semiautomatic with .17 HMR, or .17 HM2 or even .22 magnum you need a locking action like you would find on any center fire rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

If the manufacturers see an opportunity to make money they will make one someday.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup....it would be nice if Savage and Ruger could get together. Or maybe a new company could offer us something like a hybrid? Magazine fed Ruger 10/22 carbine, chambered in .17 Mach 2, with the bolt locking works like that of the Savage A17.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-23-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:18 AM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
09-22-2018, another 100 rounds went down range without a KaBoom. This time, I only had three light primer strikes. Perhaps, it might be time for a new firing pin?

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-23-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sunday 9-23-2018, another 100 rds and no KaBoom. But, I continue to get some no fire (light) primer strikes.

Aloha, Mark
Old 09-30-2018, 09:11 PM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks Chaser.

I took the Ruger apart and cleaned it, paying attention to the chamber.

And, for the people wondering about doing experiments with a conversion to .17 Mach 2 on their own Ruger 10/22. Well, I finally remembered to weigh the bolt and bolt handle from my E.A. Brown kit. I'll probably post the weights in that other thread that talked about adding tungsten to the bolt.*

Note:, springs have a tendency to loose a bit of power over the years.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....*that tungsten bolt thread is here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...light=tungsten
i have been off a few days, had a cold. was thinking about the light strikes. Looks like you cleaned the chamber, could the light strikes be from the heavy weight of the charging handle, tilting a little and hanging up in the receiver? Or a nick on the charging rod, and not letting the bolt return to battery? next time you shoot push on the handle before you pull the trigger to see if that helps. I have run close to 400 rounds, and have had no light strikes. As to the springs, it is a fine balance between weight of the bolt and springs. i need to run the extra power hammer spring and charging handle spring.

thanks Greg
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 AM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cleaned and sent another 100 rds down range today (10-22-2018). This time the firing pin did it's job. Not a single light primer strike was encountered.

I think that the old owner might have used an oil that congealed over time and was slowing down the firing pin. I used syn motor oil this time, before reassembly.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 10-23-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:08 PM
tractor_kid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any chance you still have the mag internals from any of your blowouts? I have a couple of stripped housings laying around, maybe we could work out a trade??
Old 10-26-2018, 10:19 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The trash can ate them.

Aloha, Mark
Old 10-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
I cleaned and sent another 100 rds down range today (10-22-2018). This time the firing pin did it's job. Not a single light primer strike was encountered.

I think that the old owner might have used an oil that congealed over time and was slowing down the firing pin. I used syn motor oil this time, before reassembly.

Aloha, Mark
That's cute that you would think that... when it IS that the chamber is clean now.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:02 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back at Post 33, I took special care of the chamber with a direct bronze bore brush in there.

Due to the firing pin troubles I was having. This last time that I cleaned, I payed special attention to the firing pin and it's channel in the bolt. As for the chamber (and barrel), a bore snake was run through as usual. Nothing special with that. If the bore snake was cleaning the chamber better than before.....so be it.

Aloha, Mark
Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 17Hm2 10/17 xpierence

I played with the 10/17 conversion. A GM barrel with Volquartsen heavy bolt and guide rod / spring. After several failures, I tried polishing the chamber, a heavier hammer spring. I could not get it to stop blowing out rounds except for cleaning it every 10 to 15 rounds. I gave up sold my parts off and converted back to 22 Lr. I have heard it said that it cannot be made to work properly. I love the round, but it is better suited to a bolt action. If you are trying it, make sure ear and eye protection is always warn (it should be warn anyway).