Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hereís mine!

1956 39 a with barrel mounted scout scope

Last edited by Toomany22s; 07-20-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just reviving my picture

Next time I want a mounty
Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Jason375

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifle mate, a mounty would be good also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 07:27 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful rifle,
I think me and you have been on the same journey with our rifles.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:17 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Journey to Lever Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Beautiful rifle,
I think me and you have been on the same journey with our rifles.
I have been trying to catch up. I have always loved lever guns. But your posts pulled the lever, so I started looking at them again, and one thing led to another.

Going up to the UP in the fall, family farm. And they, Henry,Marlin,Browning and Winchester,are going with me, and coming back too.

My brother in law always tries to get a gun or two out of me for the boys , dontchya know? They already have most of my shot guns. But these Iím keeping for a long while.

If I gave them a 22 theyíd just use it to kill the hogs.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They will Love all of them. I seem to like a different brand every time I shoot them. I thought that the Winchester and Marlin were my favorite. Then I took my old Browning out again yesterday and just fell in Love with it all over again. It just seems that I really can not call a Winner between the Browning Winchester and the Marlin. I like the Henry but I feel the materials that it was made with are not as quality as the others. Like the barrel on the Henry I feel is a softer metal. Just me probably, it shoots just as well and craftsman ship is good, so no complaints with it.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Youíre the winner!

Since you have all of them , you donít have to choose. If I had to choose, it wood be difficult too, but especially if I had the straight stock short Mounty.

the smoothest action , on mine, is the Winchester,the prettiest is the Browning, the most accurate is the Marlin, but the best to shoot is the Henry. I donít know if itís the tiny size, H001Y, or the ergonomics of stock to face to scope . But if Iím going shooting it is the first one out of the safe. Itís a really really fun gun! As for itís materials , well sometimes a Chevy is all you want. And it only cost me 1/2 as much.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
pspencer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm late to the post here Toomany22s, but I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind answering. I just purchased a 39a at auction and it seems to be a nice one other than a very plain, muddy looking stock. It should arrive at my FFL within a day or two. It is also a 56 model (I think - N prefix). My questions are regarding the scope mount. Do you have any photos of yours? I see it is forward of the receiver and I'm curious as to how it mounts. Is it screwed in to the side of the receiver? Thanks, and congrats on your purchase!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:37 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pspencer,

OK, OK, ok......so, you weren't talking to me and maybe you were only interested in a barrel mount arrangement. But anyway, my scope mount for my Marlin 39a. It's screwed into the top of the receiver (factory holes).

Rings are from Weaver and the base is also from Weaver. Hope that helps.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-21-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Late response?

Mine was not drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver. I would prefer that. Mine was drilled and tapped on the barrel just in front of the receiver. Yours could be either way or none at all. If yours is like mine , how to brownells and they sell the Weaver mount. It is a two piece rig bought separately. One piece mounts to the barrel and the othe piece mounts to the first piece . Tha second piece has the rings built in and they snap over the scope. Because this mount is so far forward you eithe have to go with a super long vintage scope to get the ocular lens back far enough to use. Or you can do what I did and use a scout scope with 9 inches of eye relief. A 2 x7 on Amazon can be had for less than $30. Also this mount does not place the scope directly above the bore. But a little left of it, which is fine if your a righty. Itís great for the field but itís not a set up for the bench.

If yours is tapped on top then there is a great mount by DNZ called the game reaper that have the rings and base as one unit, I have that on my Marlin 1894.

If you have to have yours drilled and tapped , go with the top mount.

I really love mine.
As for the muddy wood itís probably just dirty. Wipe it down with some mineral spirits and then when itís clean rub it out with some linseed oil and youíll be very happy.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 09-21-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 AM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, sorry about that, pspencer and Toomany22s.

I only realized the date significance AFTER I posted the pic. and AFTER reading on another forum about the issue you've described.

Good Luck finding what you need.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-22-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:47 AM
pspencer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply Toomany22s. The auction site had lots of photos but none from the top or bottom so I wasn't able to see if it has any mount holes at all. I read on another thread that the early 39A's weren't drilled on the receiver so I was just curious about yours, being the same year manufacture. Thanks for your reply too Mark, I'm thinking of mounting a vintage Weaver scope on it, if anything at all, and would like to use a Weaver mount if a previous owner has had it drilled and tapped. If it's not, I only want to use a mount that won't call for drilling the gun.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:07 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
pspencer,
Congratulations on the auction purchase. I have one also and had the barrel mount scope on it. The barrels were mostly factory drilled I believe. I have had three Mounties and all had the barrel drilled. I use a Williams 39A peep sight instead of the scope. Love a Williams peep. Anyway, looking forward to pictures and you're own post when you get it.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IF my memory serves me correctly, most 39A guns were not drilled and tapped on the barrel. There was a short period there where some were factory drilled and tapped on the barrel for a scope. I seem to recall that the holes were offset to one side for a certain type of mount.

But I'm going on memory here....which in my case isn't always a good bet....
Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes thatís correct

Mine was drilled and tapped on the left side of the barrel shank . 4 holes, 2 groups of 2 slightly offset . The original mount was set up for a 3/4 scope of considerable length.

If you donít get a drilled and tapped one ,like j said , the Williams peep is the next best. My 1894 came with one and it was surprisingly accurate. I just like scopes better.

I liked my 39 a so much that when I saw the 1894 on the used rack I picked it up and didnít put it down till I was at the cash register. Itís Very similar only it shoots .357/38. I also have a Marlin 30/30.

I like the Marlin action ,and side eject better than the Winchester top eject. But they can get the dreaded Marlin lock up, thatís when 2 cartridges feed and you canít close the lever. At the range you just poke the second cartridge back into the tube with a thin pointy stick , like a kebab stick. At home when you disassemble youíll see that the cam tat operates the loading mechanism has worn a groove in the rmetal beneath it so now when you run the lever it just opens a bit too much and letís that second cartridge sneak in. There are very fancy fixes for this, but the simple fix is to cut a small thin brass shim and cover the groove. I have had no need to do this. But they say it is inevitable.