Marlin 20a won't lock up - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:10 AM
twoplustwo
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Marlin 20a won't lock up

I am looking at a nice 20a for sale, but the action won't lock when in firing position. I am just now discovering these great old guns, so I am not familiar with their insides. Could someone let me know if the parts ( locking bolt?) are available to repair it and their cost (worst case)? I'm trying to get some idea of how much to reduce my offer for the gun. I will also be paying my local smith to install. He's a nice old man and probably wouldn't hurt me too bad. Also I would love a tutorial on how to load the tube, and signs to recognize a defective tube or spring. Thanks a bunch for any assistance.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would not expect to find a locking bolt, a friend of mine has been looking for a long time - very rarely do any show up and then they usually are rather pricey. They also are not something that I think could be easily fabricated. Also there were two different lengths used and the 20-A takes the short version.

I assume you are sure the locking bolt is missing - a gun with a locking bolt may not feel 'locked' i/e stay closed, if it has the wrong firing pin in it - the firing pin also acts as the action lock. I have had a couple guns with homemade firing pins that did not have the correct shape needed to lock the action shut. That's another thing, Wisner's used to offer firing pins for these but it looks like they have discontinued them - I got a local gunsmith make some. When working correctly the action will lock shut with the hammer cocked or on safe, but can be released by pushing in on the rear of the firing pin.

The outer magazine tube has a small indentation on the end toward the receiver that catches a prong on the magazine follower so it will pull the follower along as it is pulled out - this will then expose the loading port in the inner tube. There is supposed to be a indentation in the inner tube that allows a part of the outer tube to catch and keep it open - because this is working against spring tension in many cases it doesn't work to well and you may have trouble keeping the tube open, and in some other cases it catches to good, and is hard to slide back. (An interesting, but poor design IMO)

Last edited by Sav22; 02-06-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 PM
twoplustwo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the great info. I am not sure if all the parts are in this gun or not, I haven't looked inside yet. That's a real bummer on the f. pin situation. Outback said they have no parts either. Fortuneatly, my local smith says he can recut assuming the bolt is there. Unfortunately, I haven't convinced the shop owner that there is any thing wrong with it yet. He's one of those "Spose to be that way" guys. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 AM
twoplustwo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well- I couldn't resist any longer. After a year and a half of seeing if it was still there,
I decided it must be meant for me. Got it on layaway. Still doesn't lock up, and still don't know what parts I need.

I'm wondering if the parts supply has improved since first posting. Any new sources?
Does anyone have a parts breakdown diagram? A list of parts I "might need" would be helpful. I don't mind buying extra parts. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:50 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hello there, here's a parts breakdown from Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac.../20A-38939.htm

I like old .22s too but from experience parts supplies on models discontinued 100 years ago don't improve, they diminish. That's part of why values go up on complete guns and parts. What are you paying for it if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like you're committed now, once you get it, if your smith can't get it running maybe he can at least tell you what it needs. Buying old broken guns is a crap shoot but the parts hunt can be fun and sometimes you get lucky.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:06 PM
twoplustwo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the link. It doesn't have any part names, but pics are helpful.

I wont get into $ now, but will get some pics up soon. I think you will agree its worth a gamble.