Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Best Semi Auto

I have sold off most of nmy extra guns and am now thinking of one i have always wanted, but never owned. A good 20ga. semi auto. Walnut is a must. I have a Ruger Red Label I will be selling to pay for the semi auto. I love the looks of the Breda Icaro. Anyone own one, and if not, what is your favorite semi auto? Also what is out there that is quality that is no more than about $1300?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beretta A400 street price will be close, especially without a kick-off.

Used Beretta 391 will be less.

If you prefer inertia-driven, Benelli Montefeltro is the way to go.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Beretta A400 street price will be close, especially without a kick-off.

Used Beretta 391 will be less.

If you prefer inertia-driven, Benelli Montefeltro is the way to go.
The only semi's I have owned were 1100's and 11-87's and I did own one Montefeltro and that thing kicked me like no other shotgun I ever owned. Even worse than an old 12 ga sxs with a metal butt plate. I do not understand why, but either the stock was not fit right, or something, but it kicked the heck out of me, and I can take a punch in the shoulder. Just not what I expected out of a good semi auto shotgun I suppose. I would say the softest I ever shot was a Belgium Browning A-5. Felt like melting butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The old reliable.....The Remington 1100 20GA, a steel receiver auto, the Benelli's and Franchi's are nice, but the anodizing tends to rub off quickly at the ejection port, that bothers some folk's.........ME

Look at the Fabarm, very good reviews, but only in 12GA, but a light as many 20's!

Last edited by longislandloco; 01-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandloco View Post
the anodizing tends to rub off quickly at the ejection port
Anodizing should not be equated with oxidation finishes applied to anodized aluminum. The finishes rub off, some very easily.

You will see pics of VN era M-16s that appear to have no residual finish. But the underlying anodizing is just fine. Certainly, you can drill/grind/cut your way through it. But that's not what you're seeing on those Benelli ejection ports, unless shell rims have been coated with lapping compound.

Similar confusion exists with respect to nitrocarburized steel. Most always it's just finish that wears, with zero loss of nitrocarburized metal.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I did own one Montefeltro and that thing kicked me like no other shotgun I ever owned. Even worse than an old 12 ga sxs with a metal butt plate. I do not understand why, but either the stock was not fit right, or something, but it kicked the heck out of me, and I can take a punch in the shoulder.
Have to agree. The inertia recoil impulse often bothers shooters more than gas or long-recoil guns. I own a couple 20 ga 391s and a Franchi 48AL20 (long recoil). Sold my 20 ga Montefeltro. That said, I think you'll find an A-400 20 ga - especially with a kickoff system - to be almost recoil-free. Some don't like the appearance, but ugly is as ugly does (IMO).

Overall, the Beretta gas guns rule the repeater niche in sporting clays. Alloy receiver notwithstanding, they are more durable and load-flexible, demand less frequent maintenance. My 12 ga 391 now has about 90k on it, replaced one gas piston and one bolt. Runs like a train.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Overall, the Beretta gas guns rule the repeater niche in sporting clays. Alloy receiver notwithstanding, they are more durable and load-flexible, demand less frequent maintenance. My 12 ga 391 now has about 90k on it, replaced one gas piston and one bolt. Runs like a train.
I am guessing that 391 is not made anymore?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I am guessing that 391 is not made anymore?
Yup.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:28 PM
paule

TPC Rating: 
99% (119)
They are still made but kind of gooned up from the plain 391 urika. I picked one up years ago 12 ga shot 1 rnd of clays. Sold my target o/u 's . Then bought a 20 so it wouldn't be lonely. Pat gun. Probably hasn't had more than 200 rnds thru it. Dont hunt or shoot clays anymore.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
If i could find a clean older 1100 20 gauge, with the gloss finish like the old Wingmasters, I would be good for one of those.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:07 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You do know your shotguns, Sam. If you are going to be shooting in high volumn, the 20-ga. A400 is the only way to go. 1100's starting falling to pieces quickly, usually. 391's are great but require more cleaning to keep running.

The 20-ga. A400 is too light, IMO, so I add weight to the front (in mag tube) and back.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I like the Remington 1100 but, that said, the Berettas - 303, 390, 391 and 400 - are exceptionally well-designed and soft shooters particularly in 20 gauge. If you want a solid bargain you might want to consider the Made-in-Turkey Mossberg SA-20 or the TriStar. I have the Mossberg SA-20 and although few would call it beautiful, it's a great all-around workhorse.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Retay Masai Mara.
Benelli inertia clone like the Breda guns, but made in a different Turkish plant than Breda. Known for their nice walnut and reasonable price point.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:49 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
A few days late to the party but I bought, and foolishly sold a 20 gauge solid rib Remington Model 11 two or three years ago. The gun was full choked and considering the kind of shooting I was into at the time that didn't fit my needs. Rather than have the choke opened up I let it go to somebody else for exactly what I paid.

I'll tell you something, that gun was sweet. Smooooooth. It was my first introduction to recoil operated guns. Everybody kept telling me how hard they kick but after researching before I shot it I ordered new springs and set up the friction rings for light loads. The thing was 100% reliable and recoil was incredibly mild.

Now I have a 12 gauge Belgian A5, and like what others have said, the recoil is minimal. You will be hard pressed to find a better, quality made (steel and walnut), utterly reliable shotgun for a better price. Remington Model 11's can be had very reasonably and will just keep working.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
I guess Iím too sensitive

But my Begium A-5 doesnít push. . . It kicks. 28Ē modified 12 ga. Wish I had the Rem 1100 in 12 ga. I used to own. That was a nice gun to shoot. That being said, gun fit has much to do with perceived recoil.