Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:04 PM
rossman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry Smith & Wesson M&P 22LR ejection problem

Hi All,

I am new to shooting and just got my first 22. Please excuse my misuse of terms.

Firearm: S&W M&P 22LR
Ammo: Federal American Eagle 38 grain copper plated
Cleaned and lubricated as per S&W papers before the range

At the range I ran into ejection problems. Every 20 rounds it was failing to eject the round. I had to use a knife to pry the brass from the chamber, it was quite tight. After about 150-200 round I gave up as it was very frustrating trying to clear this jam over and over again.

I kept a few of the spent casing and noticed on the opposite side that the firing pin struck the primer there was a bulge. This bulge is what was causing the casing to get stuck. I was able to drop and remove new rounds from the chamber with no issues, when I tried to put this spent casing in the chamber it got stuck and was tight.

My question is....is this normal with 22 ammo or is this an issue with my new hang gun? Has anyone come across this before?

Photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDoEseETnaNLyvVR7

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by rossman; 09-23-2021 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Adding Photo
Old 09-23-2021, 07:24 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the forum!

Your spent cases shouldn't be bulged at the base like that, so if you can please provide us with some clear images of the chamber area of your pistol it may be helpful in determining the cause of your problems.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:25 PM
rossman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!

I just uploaded more, the best I could take from my phone.

Photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDoEseETnaNLyvVR7
Old 10-26-2021, 08:30 AM
copfish
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The bulge appears to me that the gun fired when the round was not fully seated n the chamber, slide not fully closed. Might be attributable to a weak recoil spring, dry gun or oversized round. Could even be a tight chamber. Solutions; lube rails, replace or stretch the recoil spring, clean chamber, check ammo by removing barrel and dropping each round into the chamber to see if it drops in without issues. 22 ammo is very dirty, often leaving unburnt powder in the action, so I carry a boresnake to do a quick cleaning when shooting. Hope this helps. My M&P Compact has been a reliable and fun shooter.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:40 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since it is a new gun I would immediately contact S&W with my problem. I bet they will take care of it with no cost to you.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:06 AM
copfish
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Since it is a new gun I would immediately contact S&W with my problem. I bet they will take care of it with no cost to you.
True! I should have thought about that first.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:36 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copfish View Post
True! I should have thought about that first.
The S&W M&P manual lists 8 brands of ammo for optimal performance and Federal American Eagle is one of them. The manual goes on to say if issues occur try a different recommended brand - I'd try that solution first.

I use my S&W M&P in Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge matches and have been shooting Federal Target Grade Performance (1200fps) simply because I had a lot of it. I knew this ammo was not listed and as a result all I experienced was problems -like duh!! Mainly fail to fire. I used the ammo for 3 matches hoping things would get better - again I had a lot of it - it didn't. In timed events malfunctions cost me time. I switches to CCI HV - no more malfunctions. It wasn't the rifle - it was the ammo.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:13 PM
PicketWire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From the photos it appears the bottom bevel on the barrel mouth has been moved forward compared to what I see on my S&W M&P. Case head is no longer fully supported. Is this a factory new firearm?