Guide: How to Quiet Down Your M4-22 for Suppressed Shooting (Reupload) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Weizen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation (Please Delete)Guide: How to Quiet Down Your M4-22 for Suppressed Shooting (Reupload)

For some reason, my original guide was deleted. I'm not sure if a moderator accidentally clicked "Delete" or if something messed up with the forum -- causing the guide to be deleted. So, I'll retype it all up here.

Howdy there Rimfire Central! Just posting a quick guide for quieting down the loud "TWANG!" on all Tippmann Arms M4-22 buffer springs. I know the twang is common on all AR-15's -- but I only run Geissele Super 42 Buffer Springs which are dual coiled and lack the obnoxious "TWANG" sound; when firing the gun or releasing the bolt. I tried multiple different materials, tapes, bike inner tubes, etc for this mod over the last 5-6 months. The materials I've used are the only thing I've found that work with 100% reliability and total buffer spring compression -- even with subsonic ammo.

What you'll need:

AR15 Armorer's Wrench
One pack of *these* specific Ranger Bands -- you'll be using the smallest (1 inch diameter) band

Do not use bike inner tubes, they are too large for what we need. Or at least the ones I was trying. I found a pack of ranger bands to be easier to get + more durable.

Step 1: Remove Castle Nut and Buffer Tube to access the buffer assembly. Here's a YouTube guide if you've never done this before. It's nearly impossible to get this spring out without removing the actual tube assembly itself, so you'll want to grab a wrench.

Step 2: Remove buffer spring assembly and apply the ranger band at the rear of the spring assembly. The rear has little to no compression when being fired -- thus it causes zero issues in reliability. Here is how it looks and how mine looks after 60K rounds with zero malfunctions:

Step 3: Reinsert and check for functionality. It should slide in with ease, since the band is such a nice & tight fit.

Really check out the bolt release, the only sound you'll hear is the bolt slamming shut. Just like on a nice Geissele Super Duty Rifle or KAC AR-15. The twang is not super annoying when shooting without a suppressor -- but without one, that TWANG is all you're going to hear without this mod. Also, another thing to consider is applying polymer rail scales, polymer grips/stops, etc on your M-Lok hand guard. This will eliminate any "ringing" from the rail, allowing for nice, quiet shooting. I use

Here's how my M4-22 Micro Elite sounds after these modifications:

https://streamable.com/bu36s8

This was with the M4-22 *right* next to the camera. As you can see, it keeps things nice and quiet. I hope this guide helps!

From my previous guide's post, I have a few replies + PM's asking about what my build was. Here is info on my build:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizen View Post

My build is actually a Tippmann Arms M4-22 Micro Elite -- but I replaced the 5 inch handguard with the 9 inch one found on their 11.5" M4-22. The handguard perfectly slips over the Dead Air Mask and would work on most rimfire cans. I was originally going to buy the 11.5" version of the M4-22 to make a .22lr clone of my Geissele Super Duty AR. But I liked how most .22lr ammo stayed subsonic on the Micro elite and decided to make a "Baby Super Duty" instead with slightly cheaper parts -- besides the light. I was going to just get a Cloud Defensive Mini Rein -- but I really love the OWL design and didn't want to mess around with a bunch of switches.

Anyways, here are some images of my setup and a build list (as of now).

M4-22 Micro Elite
Tippmann Arms 9" Handguard
ALG Defense Advanced Combat Trigger
JP Enterprises Reduced Power (3.5 lbs) trigger spring kit (greatly aids in subsonic ammo reliability + cyclic rate)
Heckler & Koch Battle Grip V2
Cloud Defensive OWL light
Vortex Sparc II Solar red dot
Slate Black Industries Slate Stop + M-Lok panels

And coming soon:

Form 1
B5 Bravo Stock
Ferro Concepts Slingster

Here are the light + suppressor + hand guard images you asked for:

If you run any sort of M-LOK hardware, you'll need to Dremel down some of the M-LOK screws by 2mm or so; to allow clearance of your suppressor. My Mask earned a couple scratches when first installing it, lol. But after this fix, it slides in without touching anything. Let me know if you need any further images!
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Weizen; 12-05-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:11 PM
Weizen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lol, I am so confused. I make this thread and go check my old post to mark the title for deletion....and now the guide is back up on the original post. So weird. Feel free to delete mods, I was just trying to get this info back up for the community to read.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:30 PM
Road_Clam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great job, and good tech tip. I have the Micro and honestly I can't say that I have really noticed any buffer twang. On my 300 BO shooting 220 gr subs supressed I get a lot of cycling clicks and twangs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 05:40 PM
WFO62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for reposting this... going to do this mod on our 2 new rifles...