Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:41 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Borrowed a camera--sort of

I have been using a couple of long zoom bridge cameras for sometime. I told my son that is a camera bug that I was contemplating getting something a little more capable and he offered to lend me an older Canon that he has. He said it takes good pictures and I could try it out to see if I wanted to go get into the hobby deeper than I am now. I am looking forward to warmer temperatures and getting out and playing with my newly loaned toy. I think it will be interesting to carry all three cameras and compare images of the same thing taken with each.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:52 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Congratulations...

Canons take VERY good pictures.

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 01-16-2022, 05:06 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.. and you may have thought shooting was a rabbit hole.

I have one lens that I paid more for than several of my firearms combined. There was a justified need, however - it wasn't just a hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2022, 06:54 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never discount the older cameras because they donít have the latest features or as high of an ISO rating. I use 15-22 year old Nikon digitals that still take great pictures and use more of the available lenses than the newer models. They can be had for a fraction of the price.

As long as you understand the limitations of the camera (new or older model) and work within those limitations you should be good to go.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:27 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd second that.

Learning the effects of the basic controls on a simple DSLR - ISO, aperture, shutter speed - and being able to review in real-time is invaluable. I had a nice film setup but you were never sure until you got the prints back.

My daughter has my old T1i, which was one of Canon's early DSLR cameras. Like the lens I mentioned above, I upgraded due to specific needs, to a 70D, which I have to this day but rarely use. She's taken some really great pics with the T1i, some would be calendar-worthy.

The key is that a pretty basic camera taught me so much more than the film camera did, because I could review the results and re-shoot if necessary. Plus I could shoot using many different settings and then compare back home on the computer. Of course my 70D has modes that can automate just about everything for you, but it's nice to have an understanding and I use manual (P) mode often. It's all I used for the purpose I acquired it for.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:07 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to shoot 35 mm film and haven't completely forgotten about ISO, shutter speed, etc. I just hope it all returns to my brain quickly. For the last several years I have just put my bridge cameras on auto and all my input was just zoom and press the shutter. I am going to try a couple of my old manual lens on the Canon after I learn some about it to see how they work.

I quickly grew to appreciate the "see it right now" feature of digital cameras and the ability to take a lot of photos of the same subject quickly and then just save the best.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:46 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In that case you can disregard my earlier comments.

I've seen people get fancy a DSLR and wonder why they sometimes get poor results. The "auto" modes are often sufficient, but knowing why things sometimes don't come out as expected is handy and I very rarely used them because the action I was capturing required precise timing, no second-takes.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many, many years ago my wife and I did wedding photography on the side and I would have killed for a digital camera.

Instant review was unknown in those days.

I still have my 35mm cameras (Pentax) but I sold my twin lens cameras when I quit shooting weddings.

Hmmm, I may buy a roll of film and wipe the dust off of one of them.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My son got into photography not too long after I did. Unlike me he went the higher end digital route when film went away. He uses a Pentax with a bunch of different lens and goes on trips strictly to take pictures. In warm weather he travels on his Harley which kills two birds with one stone for him as he is a die hard rider.

He has gotten out his old Chinon 35 mm camera and lenses and is back into film photograpy and has just got set up to do his own developing. He really likes B&W for some reason. Things have certainly changed in the film photograpy world according to what he has told me. I still have all my film stuff and may try it later on---if I can talk him into doing the developing for me.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
My son got into photography not too long after I did. Unlike me he went the higher end digital route when film went away. He uses a Pentax with a bunch of different lens and goes on trips strictly to take pictures. In warm weather he travels on his Harley which kills two birds with one stone for him as he is a die hard rider.

He has gotten out his old Chinon 35 mm camera and lenses and is back into film photograpy and has just got set up to do his own developing. He really likes B&W for some reason. Things have certainly changed in the film photograpy world according to what he has told me. I still have all my film stuff and may try it later on---if I can talk him into doing the developing for me.
Hey, I have an old Chinon, itís a good camera and I always exercised the shutter in case I needed a backup.
And B&W is a lot of fun in the darkroom.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:53 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My old OM-1 still works. All I have though is Kiron 80-200 f4 one touch zoom. Trying to find a good 50mm prime for it.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:28 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
My old OM-1 still works. All I have though is Kiron 80-200 f4 one touch zoom. Trying to find a good 50mm prime for it.
I have no idea if Canon works, but I've had this for a decade and have no complaints for the price. I usually post-process and crop anyway, so if it has faults, I'm not really aware of them. I think my daughter has it now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005K47X
Old 01-19-2022, 11:52 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Digital fun...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9490 digital fun.JPG (111.1 KB, 1 views)

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
.. and you may have thought shooting was a rabbit hole.
Boy, howdy, ain't that the truth.

After I retired, I started to use a freeware finance/accounting program to keep detailed track of my personal finances. In the "Hobbies" expense category, I tracked Firearms and Photography expenses. At first, Firearms (long guns, hand guns, multiple ammo calibers, optics, etc.) exceeded Photography (a Nikon P530 PnS, camera bag, filters, etc.) by a wide margin. As time went on, the firearms itch required less scratching.

OTOH, thanks to a now departed best friend and mentor who was also a photojournalist, photography became a passion and I suffered major bouts of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). The evidence was plain to see. The Photography expense category passed Firearms expenses several years ago. As of now, I don't expect to incur any major expense in either category but who knows what might happen.

FWIW, I'm all in on Nikon APS-C interchangeable lens cameras...D5600, D7500, D500 DSLRs and a Z50 mirrorless. For PnS, I found that Panasonic fills the bill...FZ1000 Mk2 (1" sensor) and FZ300 (1/2.3" sensor). The ergonomics and feature set of the Panasonics are close to those of a DSLR. As with my Nikons, they offer multiple AF points and modes and also allow me to set up back button focus, a shooting mode I employ on all of my cameras.
Old Today, 09:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Along the lines of taking pictures, hereís 2 quotes from Ed Harris character in ďKodachromeĒ

Ben Ryder (photographer played by Ed Harris): People are taking more pictures now than ever before, billions of them, but there are no slides, no prints. Just data. Electronic dust. Years from now when they dig us up there won't be any pictures to find, no record of who we were or how we lived.

Ben Ryder: We're all so frightened by time, the way it moves on and the way things disappear. That's why we're photographers. We're preservationists by nature. We take pictures to stop time, to commit moments to eternity. Human nature made tangible.

Film is on Netflix, a little scmaltsy but very enjoyable. Harris is great as Ben.

I used to tell the students at Columbia College that only on film do you capture a moment in time.
Now Iím going to get my light box and sort through some 40 year old Kodachrome slides;-)

Rich