Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:52 PM
ExSubmariner
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Volquartsen hammer for 10/22

Just received and installed a Volquartsen Match Hammer Kit in my 10/22. Wow what an improvement! Trigger pull now about 2.5 lbs from the stock 9-10 lbs and crisp clean break with little over travel. Feels comparable to the trigger in my Ruger American Rimfire if not better. Amazed that just changing the hammer, hammer spring and trigger return spring could make so much difference. Definitely worth the $45. Haven't shot it yet and I'm looking forward to seeing how much better groups I can shoot.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:19 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Great job, they make good stuff!

Put an Mcarbo spring kit in that American, even more better!
Old 09-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
That's exactly how I felt when I installed my very first VQ hammer on my very first 10/22 way back when. It was the first upgrade I ever did to a 10/22 and I was amazed at the difference.

After that I spiraled a little out of control down the 10/22 rabbit hole and ended up with over a dozen full custom 10/22 style rifles. But it all started with that one VQ Target Hammer.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2021, 08:03 PM
ExSubmariner
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I got to the range today to see how my 10/22 will shoot after installing the Boyd's Spike Camp laminated stock and the Volquartsen Target Hammer Kit. The stock is a vast improvement over the basic Ruger black polymer. The receiver fit in perfectly. The thumbhole grip is very comfortable and the raised comb is just right for a good cheek weld with a scope.
Now we get to the bad news. I started out shooting SK Flat Nose target 1070 fps and the trigger pull with the Volquartsen was a huge improvement over the stock trigger but when I pulled the trigger for the second shot....nothing. Thought I had a FTF or something so I cycled the bolt and ejected a live round so tried again. Fired normally, ejected empty case, pulled trigger nothing again. Now I'm thinking the match ammo won't work for some reason but the same with the whole 10 round mag. Then loaded up HV ammo and the results were the same. Now it occurs to me I might have screwed up the new hammer installation so I pulled the action out of the stock and removed the trigger group and finally figured out the trigger was not resetting all the way forward when I released it to take the next shot. But when I cycled the bolt manually after releasing the trigger the trigger would reset, I guess the manually cycling action gave the trigger enough OOMPH to reset.
I got it home and pulled apart the trigger group and took out the lighter trigger reset spring that came in the Volquartsen kit and reinstalled the stock spring. I also made sure I had the sear and disconnector spring installed correctly. Now everything seems to be back to normal at least when I dry fired about 30 times and the Volquartsen hammer still gives a great trigger pull. I'm keeping my fingers crossed next time I shoot the darned thing it works!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210912_152203.jpg (155.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I really like the VQ stuff too. Put a complete kit , hammer, sear , disconnector, trigger, springs etc, into a poly housing , and am very happy with the results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C22796E-A5BA-4F79-A5A5-99254673DD76.jpg (497.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:51 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSubmariner View Post
Just received and installed a Volquartsen Match Hammer Kit in my 10/22. Wow what an improvement! Trigger pull now about 2.5 lbs from the stock 9-10 lbs and crisp clean break with little over travel. Feels comparable to the trigger in my Ruger American Rimfire if not better. Amazed that just changing the hammer, hammer spring and trigger return spring could make so much difference. Definitely worth the $45. Haven't shot it yet and I'm looking forward to seeing how much better groups I can shoot.