Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Browning Trombone Serial Numbers

93K views 273 replies 83 participants last post by  Camster 
#1 ·
I have a book entitled Browning Belgium Sporting Firearms, 1903 to 1994 by Max Eastman. He has a table of serial numbers for the trombones.

Fungus 143,1XX was built in 1972.
Camsters 144,xxx was also 1972.
Just 22s 31,xxx was built in 1930.

This book covers all the old Belgian Browning models and I will keep it next to the computer if anyone has any requests.

#156 ·
Trombone s/n# 13822

Hi there!

I just inherited some firearms after my father past away last july.

I found this forum searching for more information on one of the rifles, a FN Browning .22 that will need some love and care.

Serial number is 13822. Any chance you would have it listed with a manufacture date ?

Thanks!

#165 ·
Nothing catches my eye as not being an original finish, though few .22s look that good, at that age. Most guns pick up some marks with use or storage. All that I'm saying is that sometimes it can be hard to discern if an oldie received some work 60 or 70 years ago, or even more recently.
It would probably require a hands on exam by Lawrence.

#167 · (Edited)
When I look to Trombones originality in regards to finish, to my eye it looks like the rifles were polished and then blued (from the factory).

Some refinished Trombones look the reverse, they look blued and then polished. They can appear to be 'too good' or too shiny.

I know it's an odd thing to say but it's the way it looks to my eye. (When handling them in person).

There are also various inspectors marks that were applied after the bluing was done, if these marks do not have the blemish then the rifle has been refinished.

Here's an example;

However this only applies up to serial number 77,000 (give or take a few) after which they changed the finishing / bluing method and the rifles are more 'shiny' and the proof and inspectors marks are less well defined (for whatever reason). I suspect this happened post WWII but I am not sure on the exact time frame.

I picked up 3 extra ordinary very early excellent trombones over the summer, I will post photos and comments soon.

#169 ·
Hey guys, new to forum. I realize this thread is old, however I've never been able to find an online source to determine the age of my Belgium manufactured 22 Trombone that I inherited. I believe it's pretty old, unless my dad was feeding me a load of crap. He says it was my Great Grandfather's, at least to his knowledge, and it was brought out from Germany. Along with some interesting markings on it like a crown, and a C, and what looks like an arrow, there is a number on the bottom 24792. Can anyone tell me how old this is? The year it was manufactured? Thanks!

#171 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
Im from Australia and have two FNs with the following serial numbers, based on looking at previous thread im guessing?
86139 1957
120409 1968

I am also interested to know what year they introduced the factory dovetail. Based on my research so far ive roughly got it between 110000 - 119000.

Did they ever introduce a factory threaded barrel?

Thanks!

#182 ·
Hi Lawrence, I hope I'm not too late to the conversation. I have a Trombone I was given in 1981. The serial number is 12026B. I always suspected it was quite an early model but would love to know for sure. Do you have any idea as to the date of manufacture? Thank you kindly!

#186 ·
Camster & Lawrence, a thousand apologies, it IS an 8. Ugh, these aging eyes....I took a picture and zoomed in to read it properly, not quite sure how to attach it as it's asking for a URL. Anyway, I hugely appreciate the info, 1958-69. They are beautiful rifles, would love one day to have it restored. Would the person to go to be Arts Guns? Does anyone know the approximate cost to do that?

#187 ·
I only restore mine if they have suffered an indignity in the past, like water damage or already reblued (badly). There are so few left that I feel they are best left in the original condition and I feel they are of more value.

Restorations never match the factory bluing and often end up erasing the inspectors and proof marks of which the Trombone has many,

But having said that, it's your property to do as you see fit.

(But don't). :)

#188 ·
I only restore mine if they have suffered an indignity in the past, like water damage or already reblued (badly). There are so few left that I feel they are best left in the original condition and I feel they are of more value.

Restorations never match the factory bluing and often end up erasing the inspectors and proof marks of which the Trombone has many,

But having said that, it's your property to do as you see fit.

(But don't). :)
Your argument for maintaining it's integrity, original markings and patina is sound, I'll heed your advice, thank you!

#191 ·
#194 ·
So talking about the gun made me pull it out and clean it. I noticed while cleaning jt, that it has a different serial number on the receiver once pulled apart. So like on the trigger guard but on the inside. The number is 10079. Could I possibly have two different guns making one? Or were they numbered that way?

#195 ·
It depends, what are the two serial numbers? It they are close numerically then most likely a factory rifle, if far apart then most likely post factory.

Look for the serial number on the lower receiver, the upper receiver (the back edge), the carrier retaining piece and partial numbers, usually the last 3, on the pump handle and the inside of the butt plate.