Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:31 AM
max503
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frustrated with my model 60

Every now and then it works, mostly it doesn't.

Upon firing the bolt will feed a round into the chamber but it doesn't cock the hammer.

Often I have to eject every other round by hand because it gets fed into the chamber but the gun doesn't cock.

Twice in the last several hundred rounds the gun has doubled. i.e. It went full auto for a two-round burst.

When I clean, I clean it with kerosene and run a bore snake through the barrel.

I am frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A bore snake is not the best way to clean a rifle. Neither is kerosene.

Clean the action with some Mineral Spirits (not the low odor stuff) if you must..

Check the recoil spring. They get boogered up and kinked etc. Replace it if any doubt.

Check and replace the buffer (as necessary) they take a lot of abuse and they DO NOT like chemicals.

Does yours have a 1 or 2 piece feed ramp? The 2 piece is older and they do wear out.
http://practicaleschatology.blogspot...on-marlin.html

Clean the chamber with a good brass brush and some Hoppes 9.

Lastly when you get it all back together run some CCI mini mags through it first to rule out ammo issues.

These rifles are TOUGH and can (and do) take a TON of abuse. They've built 15-16 MILLION of them since 1960 and they just work. Go through yours, give it some love and lets see if it's not something simple.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:38 AM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is a newer one, with the one-piece feed ramp. I will clean it again with some MS or naphtha and check that recoil spring.
I have a feeling the bolt isn't sliding freely. There was overspray of that black paint finish in the channel when I first got it. Some remains. Maybe I need to polish out the housing?
If I order a new recoil spring I'll get a buffer as well to save on shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 12:01 PM
JMKnowles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max503 View Post
Mine is a newer one, with the one-piece feed ramp. I will clean it again with some MS or naphtha and check that recoil spring.
I have a feeling the bolt isn't sliding freely. There was overspray of that black paint finish in the channel when I first got it. Some remains. Maybe I need to polish out the housing?
Yessir, I had issues with my new 60 a couple of years ago.

I took a 220 grit flexible sanding sponge and worked until all the black was gone and the channel was smooth. You can cut the sponge down to a size as you need to so that it fits in the channel.

That really helped and I didn't have any other issues.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:33 PM
pcmacd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
marlin 60ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by max503 View Post
Mine was a b***h to get the "close bolt" actuator to work.

The bolt operation was NOT smooth.

I had bought this rifle for my sub-teen daughters to shoot, and this was NOT acceptable?

I put some emery paper on a very flat surface and carefully worked some parts of the bolt (forgive me, it has been over thirty years?)

The bolt release was then AWESOME and easy to work.

I have well over a 1500 rounds thru this rifle. I have cleaned the bolt once, and never the barrel. Thru my cheap Teslong bore camera? The barrel looks like a lead and copper mine.

OTOH? When I put the Marble's rear "bullseye" sight on the rifle (orig front sight works just fine with this rear sight) I put the rifle on a sandbag.

I shot 50 rounds of ancient Hansen 22 RF match ammo downrage to about 50 feet.

The group I shot, just fooling around, mind you, fit inside the diameter of a US quarter dollar.

This rear sight is a screaming bargain, and is easily installed if one owns a brass drift. It is a peep sight not unlike the circular sights used on US Navy anti-aircraft guns of WWII vintage.

This is likely the most accurate rifle I own. And the sight? AWESOME! The eye naturally centers the front post when viewed thru a circular peep type rear.

50 rounds inside a quarter at 50 feet?

Yeppers. I'll buy that one.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:55 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi - As pcmacd said, a good thing is to 'polish' the bolt, I used 1000g w/d paper with a bit of oil, placed on a hard flat surface like glass or smooth metal. Also, polishing the inside of the receiver is a good idea - mine too had a lot of paint - and bits that 'could' snag the bolt so I polished it.
Have you taken the action apart and cleaned it thoroughly? After cleaning I put a bit of synth grease - Very thin coat - on any friction surfaces. I've done this and many other mods and have the trigger down to under 3#. Polishing the inside surfaces of the action removes some drag too. This is prob not part of your issue, but makes the rifle more pleasurable to fire. Look up Arrowdodger's video on y-tube and read his threads for more insights. I have a couple posts on thi subject also.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:45 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You could also loosen the action and pull it forward int he stock and then tighten the action screws to see if this helps. This solved the issue in my 60.

Mals
Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you should check your sear (probable) sear spring just to check it and hammer/sear engagement area remove your action bars and operate action by
Manually cocking it see if it is even engaging ,could be wear,could be dirt or foreign matter interfering.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 PM
pcmacd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
duh.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootrj2003 View Post
Sounds like you should check your sear (probable) sear spring just to check it and hammer/sear engagement area remove your action bars and operate action by
Manually cocking it see if it is even engaging ,could be wear,could be dirt or foreign matter interfering.
I cleaned up the bolt before I ever even shot the rifle; it was that horrible.

If I could not make the bolt drop with the release, how were my nine and 11 year old daughters going to do it?

~~~~~
I don't EVEN KNOW where the sear is on this rifle. Duh?

I cleaned the bolt perhaps after 1000 rounds. It was shooting fine but the bolt looked sort of nasty.

I've probably put another 500 thru it since then.

This is kind of telling? I'm an extraordinarily mechanically inclined person (I'm a degreed mechanical engineer.)

--->>>>But I often don't think about stuff that is working fine.

I guess that's not the best testament to my intellect.

OTOH, I get my brain involved in so many things, I guess I don't have time to think about stuff that is working well.

~~~~~
Getting the barrel threaded for a suppressor.

What fun that will be?

Gotta love Arizona, "Where Free Men Live!"

Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pcmmcd,
My answer was actually to the OP as he said his was not cocking,generally if it's not cocking it is a sear / hammer sear or dirt/ foreign object problem and also if it's not cocking sometimes doubling or f/a will exhibit itself of course not good.
As to your rifle sounds like a good cleaning is all that's wrong,the bore sounds dirty,it could have lead fouling but is usually a jacketed bully problem.the sear is located in the action -everything between the two action bars - you removed to access the bolt ,the best way to clean it is a blast ofcarb cleaner or brake cleaner or spray gun cleaner,the auto versions are cheaper then a shot of spray lube dry or wet lube,unless you want to learn how or to polish this collection of parts that should do you fine for normal shooting.i have polished. Mine every where for Sporterrifle comp. It runs like a mustang,,I shoot quarter size groups offhand ,no support at 50 ft off a resit shoots through the same hole at 50 yds it will do 1\2" groups all day it is pretty well tuned up.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:08 PM
HoustonDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/444210C is the sear - in general, the part that the hammer latches onto which retains it in the cocked position is the sear (although in many designs the sear function is fulfilled by the top of the trigger, like in a revolver.)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:52 PM
pcmacd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootrj2003 View Post
Pcmmcd,
My answer was actually to the OP as he said his was not cocking,generally if it's not cocking it is a sear / hammer sear or dirt/ foreign object problem and also if it's not cocking sometimes doubling or f/a will exhibit itself of course not good....(truncated)
The hammer not cocking could easily be drag on the bolt!

As I indicated earlier, my 60SS was a completely different animal after I touched up the bolt.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:02 AM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm the OP. To update; I sent the rifle back for the second time. They said it was unfixable and sent me a brand, spankin' new rifle. This one is very accurate and it hasn't missed a lick yet. Even with Thunderbolts. I shot this 50 yard group with it. The flier was my fault. That's with iron sights and 65 YO eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marlingroup.jpg (80.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by max503; 10-19-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:57 PM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's really good accuracy right out of the box for a new stock M60!
Also great customer service from Marlin.
I need to put a good scope on my 1995 model and check its accuracy.
Thanks for the update.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 AM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Very nice shooting with the factory sights. Some of us can't do that with a scope.....

Hank