Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:07 AM
Wasabi
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
MK IV 10" inbound, what upgrades?

I just bought a MK IV 10" aluminum/blued and pick it up this week. This is my first MK IV. Outside of shooting the crap out of it a bit, I've been thinking of some mods/upgrades to do and am looking for some experienced input. Here's my short list so far:
-VQ Accurizing kit
-Volthane or Mark IV target wood grips

Maybe:
-Tandemkross Blast shield
-red dot? (which and which mount?)

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Wasabi; 08-28-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:54 AM
Captdave221
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine has.....

Volthane grips
Volquartsen kit without the trigger
TK trigger
Ultra Dot II with rings from Photo Escape
10 mags
Lots of CCI SV ammo

Good luck!!!!
Old 08-28-2021, 08:07 AM
Wasabi

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Thanks!

I've been going back and forth about the VQ or TK trigger? I'm not sure I'll like the ridges. On mags, I'll need specific MK IV mags? I have a bunch of MK III ones already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2021, 08:17 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before doing anything, I would disassemble, thoroughly clean, and lubricate your new pistol accordingly. This way you'll have a true assessment of how the trigger feels without being hindered by unseen manufacturing swarf, grit, or possible powder residue from function testing at the factory.

Out of your short list I can vouch for the Volquartsen Competition Kit (not the Accurizing kit) as being an improvement; others will chime in and say that the Accurizing Kit is all that's required, but your decision for either boils down to you feeling the need or lack thereof for the extras that come with the Competition Kit.

I can also vouch for two red dots; Vortex Venom and the Holosun HE507-X2 series, preferring the latter due to its ease of battery changes (easily removeable side tray vs. unscrewing/screwing in a fine thread circular cap), solar backup, reticle color choices of red or green with 3 reticle shape/size choices being 2 MOA dot, 32MOA circle, or a combination of both, and lastly the "shake awake" feature.

As far as a mount for the red dot I can highly recommend the LOBOS Industries low profile mount, it's beautifully machined and finished and is as low a mount as you can get for the Ruger Mark series pistols. It's optic specific however, so if you plan on playing musical optics I suggest you purchase a multi optic platform mount such as those offered from Outerimpact, Tandemkross, etc.

I wish you well with your new Mark IV! Post up some images of the new pistol when you've got it outfitted to your liking
Old 08-28-2021, 08:32 AM
Wasabi

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Thanks Drew!

I'll look into the Competition kit. For a few bucks more, why not and I won't always wonder if I should get it. That LOBOS mount looks cool and hopefully I'll be good with one optic and not changing all the time.

I'll definitely be stripping/cleaning it first too.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:25 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi
am looking for some experienced input. Here's my short list so far:
-VQ Accurizing kit
-Volthane or Mark IV target wood grips

Maybe:
-Tandemkross Blast shield
-red dot? (which and which mount?)

Thanks for any input.
The TK Blast Shield is not compatible with the VQ hammer and bushing. It uses the Ruger bushing and a MKIV style hammer.

Someone recently posted a link to a TK accurizing kit showing TK has made a VQ style MKIV hammer that works with the BShield. It also has a TK made MKIV style sear. I have no experience with the TK kit, so it would be nice to hear from anyone that does.

The VQ kit is widely accepted as a workable upgrade, but it does include a number of spacer washers that weren't needed in earlier mark pistols. And I personally don't care for the VQ hammer. I stick with Ruger MKI/MKII style hammers and never encounter any problems. YMMV
Old 08-28-2021, 03:40 PM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But a very good quality Allen wrench for the screw on the safety. The VQ supplied wrench is soft and will most likely strip. The screw is a son to break lose the first time.

I can vouch that the Blast Shield will not work with the VQ hammer. I prefer the Volthane grip to the wood. It fits better in the hand unless you have huge hands. The 10" is nose heavy and needs a firm grip.

Look for the Tandemkross low profile picitinny rail. It will let you still use the factory sights.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:57 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red Dot: Vortex Venom or Holosun HS 507C. Light, rugged, accurate and reasonably priced.

Mount: TandemKross Shadow Mount V2.0. Offers two mounting options and fits a wide range of red dot sight "footprints"
Old 08-28-2021, 08:02 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vortex Venom has a vote from me. I really like mine although for Steel Challenge Matches I shoot a C-More with a 12 MOA dot.

I like the EGW mount. It fits inside the dovetail. I believe the farther back the sight is the better it is for my eyes. I've tried it from front to rear and my times are better with it on the rear of the gun.

I vote for the VQ Accurizing Kit. The TK is nice but doesn't give you as nice of a trigger. With my VQ kits my trigger pulls on two of my guns are set at 1 pound 7 ounces. I like the adjustments on the trigger for pre and over travel and the reach fits my hand better than the TK trigger did. I also didn't like the texture of the TK.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:15 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
Before doing anything, I would disassemble, thoroughly clean, and lubricate your new pistol accordingly. This way you'll have a true assessment of how the trigger feels without being hindered by unseen manufacturing swarf, grit, or possible powder residue from function testing at the factory.

Out of your short list I can vouch for the Volquartsen Competition Kit (not the Accurizing kit) as being an improvement; others will chime in and say that the Accurizing Kit is all that's required, but your decision for either boils down to you feeling the need or lack thereof for the extras that come with the Competition Kit.

I can also vouch for two red dots; Vortex Venom and the Holosun HE507-X2 series, preferring the latter due to its ease of battery changes (easily removeable side tray vs. unscrewing/screwing in a fine thread circular cap), solar backup, reticle color choices of red or green with 3 reticle shape/size choices being 2 MOA dot, 32MOA circle, or a combination of both, and lastly the "shake awake" feature.

As far as a mount for the red dot I can highly recommend the LOBOS Industries low profile mount, it's beautifully machined and finished and is as low a mount as you can get for the Ruger Mark series pistols. It's optic specific however, so if you plan on playing musical optics I suggest you purchase a multi optic platform mount such as those offered from Outerimpact, Tandemkross, etc.

I wish you well with your new Mark IV! Post up some images of the new pistol when you've got it outfitted to your liking
^^^^^^^^^this

I went the long road and got the accurizing kit. But eventually got the bolt upgrade kit which dramatically improved reliability .

Instead of the VQ trigger, I got the TK victory trigger . I canít tell for sure, but from videos , it seems like the VQ trigger has less pre travel than my TK. Iím not sure why .

Iím using a Vortex Venom. It works great for me with the 3 moa dot. If I had a do over, I think Iíd prefer the Holosun 507c.

Iíd also recommend a striplin thumb rest, and for you to also look at Majestic grips. They have a nice palmswell and are extremely ergonomic.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (19)
I like the new ruger scope base I use a vortex venom and can switch to a scope in about a minute using that mount ! I prefer volquartsen stainless trigger also with the accurizing kit and bolt upgrades and volthane grips
Old 09-05-2021, 12:09 PM
mgriffin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think Turtle is correct on the bolt upgrade. If you decide to up grade the bolt PM me as I think I can help you out on that one.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In my experience, upgrading the trigger on a MK IV is likely the single best thing you can do to improve accuracy (and overall performance) on a MK IV. Which parts you use needs to be up to you. To be honest, I've had less than spectacular results with Volquartsen and TK components on my (3) MK IV's. ( Maybe the kits are better now, it's been 3 years since I did my last one.)
Grips are also going to be a personal choice. I tend to like stock shaped/ sized grips with a tactile feel and find some aftermarket offerings too large.
As for a red dot, it somewhat depends on intended use. The faster your going to shoot, the bigger the dot should be. I like/use the Vortex Venom and Bushnell 25 myself but there are plenty that are suitable.
Lastly,, for a 10" barrel, you might consider mounting your dot with QD mounts and get a similarly configured 6x pistol scope for precision work out to 100 yds.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:01 AM
lasnyder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
not necessarily the best... but what I did for my Steel Challenge MKIV lite... TandemKross/Striplin thumb and safety rest, TK rubber grip (not usually a fan of rubber grips, but I like this one from TK).. VQ accurizing kit but retained the trigger return spring/plunger to improve the reset... I had problems with bulk Federal ammo not cycling action, so installed a VQ adjustable recoil spring and while I was at it an EDM VQ extractor....I have several Venoms and a HS507, but for both of the Steel Challenge guns went with the much larger screen HS510c that allows me to transition better
Old 09-06-2021, 09:33 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Then, if you want to go all the way get a Black Mamba or build it yourself with all the Volquartsen parts. Mine has the 6 inch barrel, they also make a 4.5 which some say transitions faster. I use C-More Railway sighs on all my guns now. For Steel Challenge I use a 12 MOA dot.