Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

2021 Marmota Monax - Groundhog, Woodchuck, Whistle Pig Thread

14K views 195 replies 16 participants last post by  e40 
#1 · (Edited)
Time to show us your dispatched chucks! Extra kudos if you use a rimfire.

Nailed two on our walk today and my Eika just brings them back to me. The first of 2 groundhogs today I spied about 150 yards off. We stocked into about 90 yards with Eika at heal the whole time. Told her to stay and I crawled to get 10 yards closer, then stood. With my head and shoulders now visible, I checked Eika, still sitting back 10 yards - good girl. The .17WSM makes a very loud crack, so I like Eika to be well behind me. Took my time settling in for an off-hand shot. At the crack Eika moves forward and looks at me - "search" - and off she goes. I was able to unlock my phone to capture part of her 80 yard retrieve - [see link at bottom]. Dang, these dogs are something else they way the can read our body language. This is just after a few weeks ago with her chasing cottontails. Which, as many of you know, is a completely different hunting style.

The second saw from an elevated position and ranged to 109 yards and had time to set up my stool and sticks. Again, Eika brought it back.

.17WSM (Hornady) Savage BMAG Heavy Barrel - Boyd's Feather Weight Stock - Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X40.
https://home.mycloud.com/action/share/d82a6d76-3edc-46bc-82e7-f374e69b6fc5

See less See more
#67 ·
Well done! I keep meaning to steal, eh hem, borrow my son's CZ455 that I gifted him a new barrel in 17HMR. It's a sweet round.

Hogan1, what's throwing those .17HMR's?

#68 · (Edited)
This afternoon was a hot one. 89F but not to bad when in the shade. It's been an active week. I keep seeing some regulars, but they are very wary. I had my cross hairs on one. But, I couldn't settle my breathing enough for a off-hand shot at 120 yards. That's a tough off-hand shot and I just could not get settle into a rhythm fast enough. Bugger picked his head up, checked me out, and skedaddled. We waited about 20 minutes to see if he/she would reappear but it was too hot to sit around and Eika needed to get her running in. Off to new locations.

As we made our way around the farm I spotted another regular. The same one that I had attempted hitting at 300 yards. Today, I snuck out with my son's CZ455 in .17HMR (shhhh) and attempted to hit this guy at 179 yards. I was shooting from a sitting cross-legged supporting the rifle with my elbows resting on my knees. This is a fairly stable position, but I missed him for the fourth time. :eek: I didn't see were the round hit. He just looked up and nonchalantly walked off chomping more soy. He was gone behind a rise before I could get another shot off. We moved to a closer well hidden spot in the tree line that over looks this ones feeding spot and waited a few minutes to see if he/she dared to show. But no sign in the time we had left. It was time to head out.

While making our way back we stumbled into a teenager right on our trail. The youngsters and teenagers of all species aren't to bright. They get so focused on stuffing their faces full of clover that they don't notice me or Eika until it's to late. Another 12 yard pistol shot and no more clover or soy for this youngster.

#70 · (Edited)
... I have a Savage B17 FVSR. Nice handy little rifle with a 16 inch barrel. I usually set it up in a Bog Death Grip tripod to help with the rolling fields.

That CZ is a nice rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet. Yes, the CZ455 is very nice. And, it's a lot lighter then my Savage BMAG with the heavy barrel. I think it's a lot better looking to. But, I'm partial to blued steal and Walnut.

#72 ·
#75 ·
I always have the electronic hearing protection in my range and varmint bags. I usually don't use them for a shot here or there with the HMR. But if I go 22-250 then definitely a must. I have been researching and some are saying to zero for 150 yards and should be one hold out to 200. I will have to play around with it to confirm.

#76 ·
I'm sure a 150 yard zero will work well. I happen to be using a 100 yard zero because I don't have easy access to a longer range. My MOA adjustment is +1" for 150 and +2.5" for 200 with my set up. Shrug. It seems to be working.

#78 ·
Thanks for the info. I may just zero for 100 and try your numbers.

You'll have to take into account your set ups center scope to center bore distance (scope height) into account. My set up could be different and this number will affect the MOA "clicks."

#79 ·
I have access to a 300 yard range so confirming “come ups” is not much of an issue. I’m sure your numbers will be pretty close give or take a variance in scope height. I am mounting the scope tonight and hope to give it a try tomorrow evening.

#80 ·
#81 · (Edited)
First One with the CZ455 for Me

Eika sniffed out two juveniles late this afternoon and a snapping turtle. Well leave that alone girl.

I was thinking she was going to steal all the thunder when on our way out we walked up a rise to spy this red head. Eika was about 25 to 30 yards out in front and just about to clear the rise when I finally found the tone button for her collar. She about faced and came to heal. No time to set up a rested shot. I guestimated 80 yards and set up for an off hand. Went through the drill, settled my breathing and timed my bounce ... Nailed her in the ear at a ranged 86.4 yards. :D

Eika's first one:

Eika's second:

Eika contemplating what to do with a snapping turtle:

And then my off-hand - And if you can't tell i am mighty pleased with this shot :D

A fun afternoon walk. :)

13 + 5 to date.

#83 ·
I know this one doesn't count for this forum, but got this one Friday at 250 yards with the 22-250.

Also, zeroed the 17 WSM at 100. I'm pretty happy. The holes around the sticker were from zeroing the scope. Last three shots were right on. I thought I was gonna get one with it the other day but he dropped into some tall grass and never stood back up. Heading back out tonight. Hope to get a few with the new 17.

#84 ·
Hogan1, I took the liberty to change the "rule." Any dead chuck is a good chuck for this thread. Dead by rimfire gets extra kudos.

Extra kudos Shanendoah!

Hogan1, your 17WSM looks like it will perform quite well. :t

#85 · (Edited)
The WSM did its job today. Got three, one at about 65, the other two right around 100 yards. The last one was in high grass next to about a foot long corn. So I had to extend the death grip all the way up and shoot it standing. The pic of that one is the second one down. Sorry, i uploaded them in the wrong order. The death grip makes life easy. This brings me to 11 so far for the year.

#86 ·
Death grip? What's that? Were you standing or was the chuck?

Regardless, with the corn getting taller a few inches every day the sighting and shooting lanes are shrinking fast. I see 'em pop up and disappear. Three in one outing is a productive outing for rolling hills and green country.

And, it looks like that your WSM is working just fine. :snipersmi

#87 ·
The Death Grip is a tri-pod that makes for a steady rest in the field. I like it because the way some of the fields roll where I hunt you cannot always lay prone. Also, it allows you to sit in a chair. The only drawback is that you have one more thing to carry. I posted a link to it.

https://www.boghunt.com/pods/tripods/deathgrip-tripod/1099442.html

I was standing with the tri-pod when I shot the last one last night. The groundhog was walking along the edge of a corn field. The only way I could see him was by standing. If that makes sense.

#91 ·
Years ago, when I seemed to have more time to walk fields in the evenings, I enjoyed stalking Alfalfa fields. There were always plenty of holes in them. When the Alfalfa was short I could set up along the edge somewhere and watch most of a field or all of it depending on size and how it laid. When it got tall, I would stalk them, watching for their heads above or at plant height.
It seemed that when the plants reached a certain height, the groundhogs thought they were hidden and would stand up, remaining very still and watch me as I moved slowly through the field.
Sometimes, it made for some obscenely close shots with the 25\06 or 222.

#92 · (Edited)
Shanendoah, it makes for an enjoyable late afternoon walk, doesn't.

The neighboring farm is a dairy farm. They grow all the food for their herd of about 90 head. Had a nice chat yesterday with the owner/farmer. He said this spring has been ideal for growing and his silos are nearly full and he has more alfalfa, hay, fields of wheat, and soon corn to harvest. He's grows a lot of alfalfa. I took a walk early in the afternoon checking his alfalfa fields which are about 12 inches high again after the first harvest. Although I didn't see any heads on our brief tour, Eika's nose told a different story. The chucks holes ring the parameter, well hidden in the woodline and brush.

We hopped in the van, crossed the street to our regular hunting ground and immediately spied a chuck on an edge of a soy field which darted away as our van approached. Later, walking along another soy field, a now none active hole that I had taken a chuck out of was being re-excavated. Continuing down this gently sloping field, sure enough, there's a woodchuck standing at attention checking our approach from about 80 yards. I wasn't able get my off-hand shot set up quick enough before watching him disappear at a 9x zoom.

Still though, the best part is being able to tap my thigh twice, have Eika look at me and as she sees that I'm unshouldering my rifle have her take up a sitting position at my 4 o'clock. Plus, when this buck nonchalantly strolled out onto the field about 60 - 70 yards in front of us all it took was whispered "heal" and Eika is no longer bolting after the deer. The buck didn't notice us for at least a minute or two.

Hmm, this healing on rifle que could make for some adjustments for us this fall on pheasant. ... Nah!

#93 ·
That’s pretty cool that you can take your dog with you. My little 12 year old beagle/dachshund mix just wants to lay by the window and patrol for the UPS or USPS deliveries. He did chase a groundhog out from under my shed a year or so ago. The dachshund in him made him stick his head in the hole and growl at the groundhog. As soon as he walked away, I saw that groundhog dart for the fence never to return…

#94 · (Edited)
That's pretty cool that you can take your dog with you. My little 12 year old beagle/dachshund mix just wants to lay by the window and patrol for the UPS or USPS deliveries. He did chase a groundhog out from under my shed a year or so ago. The dachshund in him made him stick his head in the hole and growl at the groundhog. As soon as he walked away, I saw that groundhog dart for the fence never to return…

Taking my dog is 60% of the reason I go after groundhogs. Try asking a farmer that busts his rear working a farm year round that you'd like to take your dog for off leash runs & walks on his farm just about every other day all year? If you're allowed, he's liable for your injury's. Yup, it'd fly like a Led Zeppelin. However, Pennsylvania has a landowner liability protection statute that IF the landowner allows hunter's access to their land, the owner enjoys statutory protection from the Hunter, from all but the most egregious negligence, and liability protection from any neighbors claims from stupid stuff the Hunter may do while using his land. Plus, agriculturally destructive animals like woodchucks, rabbits, squirrel, deer, racoons, fox, coyotes, and Canada Geese, to name a few, are kept in check. It's a win, win. I wanted a dog that would be versatile and hunt with the Hunter on foot for just about anything. That query led me to versatile breeds. Mostly in the pointer lines. The short coat was desirable after having Golden's. That led me to look at the German Shorthaire, which led to breeders seeking to get back to the original German standards differentiated in the USA as a Deutsch Kurzhaar, the source lines for the American GSPs. They, like almost all dogs are great companions too. But, they were also bread to cooperatively hunt.

Now ask that same farmer if you may hunt destructive varmints? About half just start telling me where to find them and to shoot as many as I can. When they see Eika, they don't bat an eye. I'm amazed more people aren't taking advantage.

#95 ·
I would love a dog like that. But we decided after this dog passes on, we probably will not get another. We have too much going on with kid stuff to give a young dog the attention it deserves.

Anyway, I should be back in the field this weekend. I just switched out the scope on the WSM. I originally mounted a Burris 4.5-14 but I didn't like the front parallax adjustment. So I switched out to a Vortex Diamnndback HP 4-16. I had both from earlier rifles so no big loss. Well, except for ammo....

#96 ·
I made the very same decision not to get a dog "like that" while starting a business and raising a family (four kids). Our youngest enters HS this Fall. It takes a concerted time commitment to care for an active and clever breed.

I'm using a fairly cheap Vortex that also has a front parallax adjustment. That works okay for me, but the cross hairs are obtrusively thick. At least it does get the job done.

#97 ·
Some recent activity...

Big Mama and baby
%

More babies
%

Another
%

Ended up getting Mama and 7 babies, 2 babies with the rifle and the rest with my old Taurus model 94. :bthumb: Unfortunately I wasn't able to recover all of them. Some flopped back down the hole after being headshot.:banghead3

#98 ·
Yeah, El-Cheapo! I thought I'd get this thread back on track but missed a few days ago. (Don't rest your barrel on the big branch :eek:) Glad somebody got this thread back on track. :D

Super nice work with the pistola! What were your ranges!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.