Offhand Handgun Matches Scores and Discussion - Page 23 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:02 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My new targets arrived and with my new grips installed.......I did much better.

I took a little more time and focused on relaxed shots (and I think some of the wibbles compensated for some of the wobbles).

New larger finger groove grips probably helped keep my grip on the gun more stable and uniform.

I hope I can make this my Sept. entry in the 25-Yard Offhand Scoped. I did one earlier in the month that came out below 200. I have achieved my goal of breaking 200.

*******25 YARD OFFHAND RED DOT ENTRY*******

DATE: 9/22/2021
SCORE: 208 No X
NAME: Rocinante AGE: 74
GUN: Ruger MKIV 22/45 Target Blue 5.5 Inch.
GUN SETUP: Red Dot Vortex Venom/VQ Trigger.
Ammo: Federal Auto Match
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 43, 44, 37, 39, 45.
NOTES, WEATHER, Beautiful day, Temp. 66, no wind, a few mosquitoes. Used my good Systane eye drops before heading out.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
From the sound of things, you must have been shooting Bullseye targets for the 22 matches. Were you shooting one handed?

One handed or two, that experience is probably a big factor in why you scored so high with your 15 yard score. Even if we get away from it for a while, that training sticks with us.
Well, it was a good experience. However, it was just experience......no training involved.

Our Division Officer was on the team (I think we had three enlisted and three officers) and he DID get training. He hired a Marine Instructor and soon he was shooting in the 260s (something I never did).

My training came earlier.......when I was 11 years old. My dad had several .22 pistols, including a couple of K22 Smiths and a Colt Woodsman Match Target (yes, the big heavy one).

I loved them all, but I really loved the Match Target (I had good taste). It was an incredibly expensive gun at that time and it was beautiful. Nowadays only the very rich can afford one of these rare and expensive treasures.

Anyhow, when I was 11 (almost 12) I went to my dad and asked him if I could take it out in our woods and do some hunting and shooting (we didn't call it plinking in those days).

I was shocked when he said yes (only if I went out alone--no cousins or pals). After that, me and my dogs and that Woodsman were constant companions after school and on weekends.

I shot a few rabbits and grouse (they were few and hard to find in those years) and chipmunks and our little northern red squirrels (they were worthless, but my dogs ate them) and a lot of gophers (whose tails were worth 10 cents). A box of Long Rifles cost 75 cents, so those gophers kept me in ammo.....and I burned up a lot of ammo.

This went on for about five years and five thousand rounds, at which time dating girls took over.

So, no.......the Navy didn't teach me much about shooting. I give all the credit to a good dad and a Colt Woodsman.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:40 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynned View Post
Well, darn. After seeing this, I went out yesterday and tried again, but couldn't improve it. I did, however edge the 10 yd score up a hair.

***10-Yd IRON ENTRY***
DATE: 09/21/2021
SCORE: 207 - 1X
NAME: Ynned AGE: 69
GUN: Buckmark Std
GUN SETUP: ___Scope __X_Iron sights
AMMO: Federal Field & Range
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 42 1X, 38, 41, 46, 40
NOTES, WEATHER: Cloudy, Windy
Well it sounds like you still scored a new high score for the month at least. That's a decent bump too, that always feels good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Well, it was a good experience. However, it was just experience......no training involved.

Our Division Officer was on the team (I think we had three enlisted and three officers) and he DID get training. He hired a Marine Instructor and soon he was shooting in the 260s (something I never did).

My training came earlier.......when I was 11 years old. My dad had several .22 pistols, including a couple of K22 Smiths and a Colt Woodsman Match Target (yes, the big heavy one).

I loved them all, but I really loved the Match Target (I had good taste). It was an incredibly expensive gun at that time and it was beautiful. Nowadays only the very rich can afford one of these rare and expensive treasures.

Anyhow, when I was 11 (almost 12) I went to my dad and asked him if I could take it out in our woods and do some hunting and shooting (we didn't call it plinking in those days).

I was shocked when he said yes (only if I went out alone--no cousins or pals). After that, me and my dogs and that Woodsman were constant companions after school and on weekends.

I shot a few rabbits and grouse (they were few and hard to find in those years) and chipmunks and our little northern red squirrels (they were worthless, but my dogs ate them) and a lot of gophers (whose tails were worth 10 cents). A box of Long Rifles cost 75 cents, so those gophers kept me in ammo.....and I burned up a lot of ammo.

This went on for about five years and five thousand rounds, at which time dating girls took over.

So, no.......the Navy didn't teach me much about shooting. I give all the credit to a good dad and a Colt Woodsman.

Being the son of a career Marine, I can certainly understand learning from Dad. I knew Marine Corps shooting positions when I was still shooting mostly pellet rifle, 2nd grade or so. It sticks with you. I wish my Dad shot pistol more, but he rarely did.

As for the new high score, well done. I like the grips, and I'm leaning towards the Hogue grips with the thumb rest for my Ruger.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:06 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
***10-Yd IRON ENTRY***
DATE: 09/24/2021
SCORE: 234-2x
NAME: Mike3838
GUN: Ruger 22/45
GUN SETUP: Iron sights
AMMO: Fiocchi SV
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 46-1, 48-0, 46-0, 46-0, 48-1
Best target attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0924202110yd.jpg (480.9 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
*******15 YARD OFFHAND IRON ENTRY*******

DATE: 9/25/2021
SCORE: 206 1X
GUN SETUP: Williams Fire Sight, VQ Trigger.
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 40-1X, 46, 40, 40, 40.
NOTES, WEATHER, Overcast, Temp 62, Light Wind from Six O'Clock, Sort of Chilly.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3838 View Post
***10-Yd IRON ENTRY***
DATE: 09/24/2021
SCORE: 234-2x
NAME: Mike3838
GUN: Ruger 22/45
GUN SETUP: Iron sights
AMMO: Fiocchi SV
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 46-1, 48-0, 46-0, 46-0, 48-1
Best target attached.
Another good score, and the consistency across the targets is as good as the consistency of your 10 yard entries. Seems like both those Rugers are pulling their weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
*******15 YARD OFFHAND IRON ENTRY*******

DATE: 9/25/2021
SCORE: 206 1X
GUN SETUP: Williams Fire Sight, VQ Trigger.
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 40-1X, 46, 40, 40, 40.
NOTES, WEATHER, Overcast, Temp 62, Light Wind from Six O'Clock, Sort of Chilly.
I see you aren't wasting any time getting out with that new barrel and the irons. And that's a solid score for 15 yards as well.