Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:10 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcav View Post
Iíve got an USMC 40x with an Unertl 15x scope on it. Best group so far is .31in off bag with Eley Tenex ammo. (50yds) Iíll take an hour + to shoot 25 rinds. Always get at least 1 flyer. Old age and excitement come into play.
The USMC 40X is a good rifle. I have two of them. One wears a Lyman SuperTargetSpot Scope 25X and the other wears a Redfield International MK 8 with a Redfield Sure-X Disc. Both shoot very well. However, I prefer my 52D&E and the D over the E.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:13 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
A box or 50 .22 rimfire cartridges is often like a box of Crackerjacks, a surprise in every box. I would say that about CenterX years ago. But the better match ammo is more consistent and without windflags, you never can tell if a flyer is cartridge related or wind related. I used windflags when shooting IR 50/50 years ago but have not used them shooting the iron sight matches here on RFC. No question in my mind about the wind factor. I try and shoot early when there is less wind. I think every really good targets have been on very light wind days. I almost always am shooting the old manufactured Wolf Match Extra or the SK Rifle Match (same ammunition).
David,

I have to agree. I think all of my better targets have been shot on less than 5 MPH days of wind. Most on days with no wind. On our range here usually before 10 A.M.

John
Old 09-18-2021, 12:43 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
This is a five shot iron sight group. Yes, that is where they are supposed to go. Sometimes you get lucky.
That is very good shooting with peeps.

I never had tried peeps sights on a target rifle until a friend gave me some Kimber 82G peeps sights. I found they would fit a '63 model Anschutz 1411 I had at the time. I decided to give them a try. I was very surprised at the results:

A few of the better groups; all five shot groups shot at fifty, just shooting for groups:

What surprised me was the most was that I had never been able to get that gun to shoot that well after trying several different good scopes on it. Unfortunately, my eyesight has begun to deteriorate in the last couple of years; I'm not sure I could repeat those results at this point. Back then, I tried to interest some of the guys at our shooting club in doing some peep sight matches, but no luck.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:05 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
That is very good shooting with peeps.

I never had tried peeps sights on a target rifle until a friend gave me some Kimber 82G peeps sights. I found they would fit a '63 model Anschutz 1411 I had at the time. I decided to give them a try. I was very surprised at the results:

A few of the better groups; all five shot groups shot at fifty, just shooting for groups:

What surprised me was the most was that I had never been able to get that gun to shoot that well after trying several different good scopes on it. Unfortunately, my eyesight has begun to deteriorate in the last couple of years; I'm not sure I could repeat those results at this point. Back then, I tried to interest some of the guys at our shooting club in doing some peep sight matches, but no luck.

As much as I love my Winchesters, the best group that I have had measured was with a Kimber 82G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KimberGroup.167.jpg (288.5 KB, 2 views)