Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:16 PM
BMAGTHESAVAGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage B Mag blew up

I just had my savage B mag blow up on me this past Saturday while shooting the hornady Vmax 20gr the back of the cartridge blew out releasing the pressure straight down through my mag and lower receiver blowing the bottom of the gun completely out. Not a pleasant experience. I have only shot maybe 150 rounds total through it and yes I cleaned it. I took the spent casings and boxed the rifle up sent it back to savage hoping to resolve the issue. For me I believe the halfmoon bolt that is open by the extractor is a real concern and prone to case failure here due to excessive pressure. If you have a bolt action look at the mating surface to the cartridge where the extractor is and Observe the spent cartridges if there is any noticeable defect I'd raise concern with the manufacturer. This is a hot hot round and had a very close call this past weekend. Hopefully they can resolve this issue quickly personally I think there needs to be a recall on them and the issue addressed before someone gets seriously hurt.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:12 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW!
Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC new guy.

Sorry about your gun and glad you weren't hurt. That said your case is extremely rare and hopefully Savage will make it up to you.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2021, 11:56 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sounds as if the design of the receiver functioned as intended.
Blast was diverted down, not back into y'er face.
Did you find all the parts of the brass?
It will tell you if it was an out of battery rupture or a weak rim on the brass.
Deformation of the side of the case, above the rim flare, is out of battery.
If the rim itself was blown loose, that's weak brass or overcharged cartridge.
Yeah, been there, dealt with that.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:44 PM
BMAGTHESAVAGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent the brass in and several spent rounds, and as I have read I'm not the only person this has happened to. I love the round and did find all the parts but would love to see an improvement on the bolt. Needless to say early on in this relationship I've already developed trust issues. I believe we have all been down this path, may take some counseling sessions to get through what she has done to me but I'm willing to give her a second chance 😂🤣😂🤣
Old 08-17-2021, 11:48 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not trying to start any fuss here as I myself have been studying the 17 cal stuff but from what I read there is a lot of issues with brass QC. This prompted Vudoo to move along without trying to put a model out and I read Volquartsen just left the area with Ruger just before.
I have just read that another guy had a case head blow, set off the round under it and blow out the wood stock side and mag. No injury but lots of damage and questions.
The main thing I'm hearing is brass QC varies enough to cause issue and maybe slam fire if the bolt is ran home hard with a high case head.
I just got here and not sure if any of these stories or issues are true so I wanted to make a post to follow this here.
Let it rain now!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
...Let it rain now!
I think everyone wanted the 17WSM to work and I think that in their haste to make a splash Winchester moved too quickly. I see our own Teddy Bear Rat has long tried to make more than a few rifles in 17WSM shoot, with little luck.

I tried to love the 17WSM ammo was cheap and plentiful mine is long gone!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:52 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Happy you suffered no injury.

Let us know of course what the eventual outcome is..
Old 08-18-2021, 09:51 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is *Winchester made nail gun ammo.

* i.e. notorious for ka-ka rf ammo.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:41 PM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
Not trying to start any fuss here as I myself have been studying the 17 cal stuff but from what I read there is a lot of issues with brass QC. This prompted Vudoo to move along without trying to put a model out and I read Volquartsen just left the area with Ruger just before.

Vudoo does offer a 17HMR model.

https://vudoogunworks.com/action/v-22-barreled-actions/
Old 08-19-2021, 06:07 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While Win ammo isn’t the greatest, neither is the Bmag. Lowest quality firearm I have ever owned.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:03 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
But when it works it's a lovely thing, mines back at the Gunsmith for threading but this is a three shot group at 100 yards he shot after bedding my rifle in a Boyd's stock.

and the rifle...

If this one blows up I'm going to be one PO'd rascal.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:52 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is one of the original skinny barrel models. Groups like a shotgun, nothing good to say about it.

I have a MGM barrel for my Contender that shoots well, but really prefer bolt guns, so don’t shoot it much. Thought about a Ruger, but may have missed the boat on those. Been using my .22 mag and .17 HMRs, which covers the bases pretty well.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:35 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I too have a MGM barrel on a Encore, shoots great but is heavy and slow...

Old 09-14-2021, 09:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Savage B Mag blew up today. Not a pleasant experience. I’m on a prairie dog hunt. Using Winchester ammunition. Gun was purchased 3/25/21. I cleaned the rifle when I received it cleaned it after sighting it in and before I left for the hunt just to make sure it was clean. I shot 150 rounds thought it today started on my forth box when the explosion occurred. Just wondering who I should contact first?