Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:57 AM
jertex
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quick Range Report: Weatherby XXII .17HMR

I got a chance to get out to the range for a very short session yesterday and I'm very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle so far. I only had time to shoot a few groups at 25 yards, but I wanted to at least shoot it this past weekend since I won't have another chance for a few weeks.

Two groups of 4 shots, Hornady VMAX 17 gr at 25 yards on a bench rest resulted in two ragged holes. It shoots about 1" low & 1/2" left. I made a minor scope adjustment for windage on the second (top) group & brought over about 1/4" but I'm going to leave the scope alone for now since I'm leaning towards putting a scope with much higher magnification on her. BTW, the trigger is straight factory and is excellent as is, but I suspect a spring kit will make that even better. What a fine rifle.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:19 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd say that is off to a good start. What scope is on it now nd what are you thinking of putting on it?
Old 09-13-2021, 08:26 AM
jertex
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It has a Leupold VX2 2-7X32 and I'm looking at some Vortex scopes, either 16 or 24x max magnification. I haven't decided if I want 1st or 2nd focal plane. I have a 4-16X Viper on my 308MXLR and it's a great scope for that rifle, however, I can't decide if the BDC crosshairs are fine enough. I have a Viper FFP scope on my 6.5 Gendel AR and I really like it for that platform. I may take the FFP scope on the AR since I don't shoot that much and try it on my Weatherby. I'm still thinking about it and reading about it & opinions are all over the map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 11:59 AM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, good start.

You may also check whether the stock channel is clear by running a dollar bill under the barrel up to the receiver. Most times if the barrel is not totally "free floating" an adjustment can be made by centering and holding the barrel as the screws are tightened. Holding the barrel/receiver down and into position the front screw the first to be snugged then the rear last to be snugged up. (According to manual).

Anschutz triggers break nicely with any spring.

I find that an extra heavy spring will cause greater finger momentum carry through, during trigger over travel after the sear breaks, and if the bullet is not yet clear of the muzzle this greater finger mass carry through can cause disruption to the bullets flight path. Although it shouldn't be overly noticeable at a distance of 25 yards.

If I were hunting with my lighter trigger I'd leave it as is for still shots. Leaving a trigger set with a heavier pull weight would be best for moving targets, IMO.