Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Fynn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smallbore Silhouette in North Carolina?

I have been scratching around the interwebs and have found a few broken links so wanted to post here and ask for current info on matches/clubs/groups I can connect with to get started.

Polk County is the only one I've found so far but is a bit of a hike. I did find ncsilhouette.com but was hoping to find some small clubs that have matches but that are not listed on that site.

Feel free to PM me with info or post here.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Fynn; 10-09-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:35 PM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marked page. Id like to shoot with some guys too. Central NC here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2020, 03:19 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Check for clubs in Va., seems someone told me there was one not too awfully far away.
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2020, 08:49 AM
ShootingStar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey fellow shooters!
I am the Match Director for Air Rifle Silhouette and Smallbore Silhouette at Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club (actually located in Arden, NC - just south of Asheville).

We have 1 remaining Sturday, Monthly, NRA Approved Matches!
Those will be on the 2nd Saturday - 11/14/2020

We will host Air Rifle Silhouette Match - with practice starting as early as 9:00am and the match starting approx. 11am We use free-standing targets on some pretty snazzy, home-made stands! COSTS for this match - FREE!!! We are just trying to stir up interest! I have 5-in-a-row and 10-in-a-row pins, buy you've got to knock those little suckers off their perch in order to win those!!!

The Smallbore Silhouette Rifle & Smallbore Hunting Rifle Matches start after about 45 min practice session (approx. 12-12:45). We charge the following for these matches: Sr, Jr and ARPC Club members-$5/match -- all others $7.50/match. The exception is for 1st Time Juniors, who shoot FREE!!!
I give back approx. 50% of the take in Match Winner and Class Winner awards. For every 3 people in a class I give out another place award (6 people = 1st & 2nd).

Another item we've added - if you want to come and make a weekend out of your visit - on Friday afternoons before my matches (which are on the 2nd Saturday Mar - Nov) I have an "Introduction to Metallic Silhouettes" where we set everything up and practice, introduce newbies and share shooting & training tips, and who's got some ammo online!!! It's been a great venue to introduce new folks to the sport - without the pressure of a match. They can learn the process and then feel more comfortable the next day at the match.

We have loaner rifles available for use and ammo (for sale at cost) for use at the match!!! Can't beat that with a stick!!!

Come on out and shoot with us. If you can't make it this year, come see us in 2021. We haven't had enough yet, so we are going to keep shooting!!!

ShootingStar (aka Greg Chandler)
NCHiker123 at gmail dot com
eight two eight 989 fifty-seven 68
Old 10-13-2020, 12:37 PM
ShootingStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Silhouette Shooting in North Carolina

Hello fellow Silhouette Shooters!
Helping out another local Club in Western North Carolina with posting about their Silhouette Matches.

Piedmont Gun Club - 2078 Maple Creek Rd, Rutherfordton, NC 28139

1st Saturday, March - October holds Smallbore Silhouette Rifle & Smallbore Silhouette Hunting Rifle matches.
Practice starts at 10am with the 40-Shot Silhouette (Standard) Rifle match starting at 11am.
Costs: Regular costs $7.50/match, with the following exceptions - 1st time Juniors = Free! Jr & Sr = $5/match; Club Members = $3.75

3rd Saturday, March - October (I think) holds Smallbore Lever Action and Pistol Cartridge Lever Action matches. I'm sorry that I don't know more information about those matches, but too busy to shoot in them (and I'd rather spend my money on guns than on a divorce lawyer!!!).

Come on out if you are in the area and shoot with us at Piedmont Gun Club or Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club.

ShootingStar
Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM
HAL 9000

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Several years back they used to shoot smallbore silhouette in Roxboro. Can't remember the name of the club. Also, in the very back of the monthly NRA magazine Shooting Sports is a complete list of "official" NRA matches for all of the USA.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 AM
ShootingStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HAL
That club in Roxboro is/was likely Hyco Shooting Club.
Not sure what style of Silhouettes they shoot. Seem to recall it was the Lever Action Silhouette (used to be called "Cowboy" silhouette).

Come on West to the Mountains and shoot with us.
I usually host the NC Smallbore Silhouette Championship Matches the 1st weekend in June.

ShootingStar
Old 12-06-2020, 05:43 PM
baddarryl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They used to have Matches at Buccaneer Gun Club in Leland. The one and only match I went to last year was the last one if the season. All the guys were shooting large bore pistol. I showed up just to check it out and they let me on the line. I haven't seen any matches posted since though. It was great fun.

I think they also have small bore at Black Creek Gun Club in Patrick SC. They only list IMSA hand gun, but I talked to the lady at one point and she said that they had small bore rifle class. Haven't shot there though. I am also looking for matches. I am in Wilmington.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:59 AM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ARPC Asheville NC - air rifle and SB/SBH

PGC Rutherfordton NC - SB/SBH, SB lever, PC lever, and centerfire lever

Hyco Roxboro NC SB/SBH and pistol

DCW Durham NC SB/SBH but mainly SB lever and pistol at this club.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Fynn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenhater View Post
ARPC Asheville NC - air rifle and SB/SBH

PGC Rutherfordton NC - SB/SBH, SB lever, PC lever, and centerfire lever

Hyco Roxboro NC SB/SBH and pistol

DCW Durham NC SB/SBH but mainly SB lever and pistol at this club

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply!

PGC has suspended matches indefinitely with improvements being made to range.
Hyco seems focused on high power at the moment but said they could set up a few targets for me Smallbore.

Seems to be a dying sport; haven’t found a single person in my area the least bit interested. At any rate, I will continue to enjoy solo with my single set of swingers at the local range.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You say Hyco is focusing on high power.... high power silhouette? If so I would be interested in this, as I've been driving to Georgiaand Pa to shoot HP. Can you pass along the contact info for Hyco? I tried contacting them a year or so back, but was unable to get a response.
As for the state of the sport, you're right, it's not healthy as a result of being poorly promoted. Many shooters have no idea what it is...
Old 06-21-2021, 06:54 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where are you located in NC? We have a small group that travels from central NC to the SB matches. You're welcome to travel with us to one of the matches.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:48 AM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update: I was unable to get any further info online, so I attended a match at Hyco weekend before last. They are shooting SB lever and PC lever matches, but not high power.
They will set 1/5 scale SB targets for anyone who's interested though. It's a small club, with very friendly folks.