I Think A Lot Of People Must Own AR-7s But Won't Admit It. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:23 PM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I Think A Lot Of People Must Own AR-7s But Won't Admit It.

What do I base this on? I looked at 4 recent threads where some aspect of the AR-7 was the point of discussion. Counting the sum total of all posts to these threads was 57. Counting all "reads" to these 4 threads (which I think indicates SOME interest) the count is 9921.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:16 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had an AR7 about 1980. The "survival rifle" would have left me dead if I had to depend on it. It was not accurate enough to assure first time hits on small game and jammed a lot so second shots were iffy. My model 60 Marlin is a little bigger but I could depend on it to be accurate and reliable. I just check them out to see if they have gotten any better.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one of the original AR7 rifles. Same story as Jac54. Son still has it. I will stick with my 10-22 take down or 10-22 qbd.
I also have a 6 lb 4 oz single shot that breaks down and will eat any of the 22 short, long or long rifle. There are 49 rounds of 22 short in the fore end and 100 rounds 22lr sub sonic in the butt stock with some other survival gear. Includes a 4x scope, suppressor and a stock bag with tools and fire starting. The weight includes everything listed and some not listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 PM
armycat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Charter Arms AR-7 and a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle AR-7. Hoping to get an Armalite AR-7 someday.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:57 PM
LavaTech
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Residing at my mountaintop home above Palomino Valley, NV
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I still have the Charter Arms AR-7 I loaned to a friend over 20 years ago. I got it back "shaken AND stirred"....very badly. Still looks like an ice skater made a deep cutting pass the length of the bore... but it shoots somewhat accurately considering, and would likely have been able to kill the deer he was running from.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:10 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
I Think A Lot Of People Must Own AR-7s But Won't Admit It.
Ahh...no
Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 PM
CheckSix
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had one, but I replaced it with a Marlin Papoose which is more accurate because both sights are on the barrel.

However, my go to gun for that purpose is my Ruger Charger with red dot.

I just hold it with a cheek weld on the stubby stock and it's about like shooting a rifle.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:58 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nope. I used to want one because James Bond had one plus it floats. But I never purchased one and don't miss it. I do wish I bought one of the original M6 .22/.410 when the prices were reasonable.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:16 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i had one , it never worked well , im not sayin i didnt enjoy it - just sayin i no longer have it ,
Old 04-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suspect most AR-7s sit in closets or under beds, unused. The reputation of the non Armalite/Henry versions being unreliable is mostly true. Darn shame people don't fix them though, because they're really easy to work on and great fun when they work.

Mine has a couple thousand rounds without a problem. I'd shoot it more often, but the 25 yard maximum my indoor range has is just not a challenge for it.

I wish some RFC members that have a jam-o-matic AR-7 lived close enough to swing by. I'd love some gun projects to work on during this shutdown. I'm bored enough to start painting neighborhood cats!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What the shame is not that people don't fix their guns but that they have to be fixed in the first place. In the last 6years I have bought a remlin, a Savage, an Ar, a Henry, a 2 rugers and a S&W and either had to send them back to get fixed or had to do major work on them myself.

The only 2 guns I have bought that shot like they should and didn't need major work is a Smith Shield and my most recent purchase a Henry Frontier.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:06 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think it made more sense before the affordable modern .22s breakdowns were available.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:10 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac54 View Post
What the shame is not that people don't fix their guns but that they have to be fixed in the first place. In the last 6years I have bought a remlin, a Savage, an Ar, a Henry, a 2 rugers and a S&W and either had to send them back to get fixed or had to do major work on them myself.

The only 2 guns I have bought that shot like they should and didn't need major work is a Smith Shield and my most recent purchase a Henry Frontier.
It appears to be astounding, the difference in frequency of problems between years ago and now.

It just really shows how good they were back then
Old 04-30-2020, 06:34 AM
1911CCW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have almost purchased an AR-7 style rifle several times. Every time I am ready to I read reviews on it, hold one, and talk myself out of it. It is a neat concept but I just don't have a practical need for one. The alternative for me is a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:00 AM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I bought one new in the box at a local gun show and took it home then got it out of storage after a year or so. I put it together and well letís just say it didnít fit very good. I normally shoot a 12 to 12.5 inch LOP so the peep sight was a little far from my eye that and I just feel like I was one of the guyís in their video. I sold it to a tall guy at work and he loves it.