Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM
civil1977
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Detailed Model 41 Info by Civil1977

The cocking indicator is a small pin that protrudes from the rear of the frame when the gun is cocked. It is not a loaded chamber indicator as some assume. The cocking indicator was an original feature of the Model 41 and was discontinued in 1978. Another original feature was the muzzle brake on the 7 3/8" barrel and it too was discontinued in 1978. The disappearance of these features along with a change in fit and finish cause collectors to differentiate between the pre and post 1978 guns. They also differentiate between the pre A and A series guns and this refers to the change in fit and finish that occurred around the introduction of the "A" serial number prefix in 1970. The early guns just have a nicer fit and finish but most all era guns are great shooters.

I'd also recommend you search the completed auctions on Gunbroker to see what they are selling for.

Accessories included different barrels, internal and external weight sets to target shooting, checkered or smooth grips, an oversized trigger guard, a .22 Short conversion kit, etc.

This shows how the muzzle brake and internal weight system works on the 7 3/8" barrel. Note the 3/8" barrel nub at the muzzle....this is what the muzzle brake fits over and is one of the differences between this barrel and the later 7" barrel.

External and internal weights for the 7 3/8" barrel. Both were available in steel or aluminum.

Here are some barrels....aftermarket Clark, two 7 3/8", 5.5" heavy and 5.5" EFS (extendable front sight)

Last edited by FlysAlot; 01-27-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
civil1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Detailed Model 41 Info by Civil1977

Factory smooth grips for the Model 41 do exist but I've never seen any Model 41 grips, smooth or checkered, in Rosewood. S&W did use Rosewood occasionally for revolver grips but they were never as common as Walnut or Goncalo Alves. These woods are sometimes mistaken for Rosewood so that may be what you are seeing. Rosewood has open pores and this is one way to distinguish them.

Smooth Goncalo Alves on the left and three Walnut sets:

Smooth Rosewood N Frame Grips (note the open pores):

As for price, break it down:

Boxed gun with 7 3/8" barrel: $800-$900
5" field barrel: $350-$450
5.5" heavy barrel: $300

I've never heard of the optional smooth grips....who knows. From my experience, I will say the smooth grips seem to have started to appear in the 1970s or 1980s and this five digit gun would predate that. Again, who knows. Maybe a factory letter would prove it either way but I wouldn't pay a premium for it without proof.

Last edited by FlysAlot; 01-27-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 PM
civil1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is some additional Model 41 info from one of my posts on another forum:

The 5.5" EFS barrel is shown at the bottom of this photo next to a regular 5.5" barrel and two 7 3/8" barrels so you can see what the sight looks like extended. I've shot it extended a few times but I prefer the balance of the longer barrels and tend to shoot them more.

There is a tic or witness mark on the top that you could line up with the muzzle when extended. It's just visible to the left of the screw closest to the muzzle.

Here's the oversize trigger guard (bottom) next to the standard. It definately has a more pronounced curve.

Here's a 7 3/8" barrel with external and internal weight sets. All steel three piece, aluminum upper and both steel and aluminum internal weights.

This is where the internal weight goes.

Here's the witness mark on the barrel for lining up the external weight.

And the corresponding marks on the external weight.

As noted .22 shorts were available as the Model 41-1 or as a kit.

Here's an interesting fact....the .22 shorts had aluminum slides and to prevent their use with regular .22 LR barrels and cartridges, the aluminum slide featured a little protrusion on the underside of the slide which mated into a corresponding recess in the .22 short barrel. The standard units don't have this. .22 short on the left.

.22 short mags only held 5 rounds and featured mag plugs and different followers to work with the shorter cartridges. Here are two.

Slide stop / ejectors were different too. The .22 short unit had a different cut to eject the shorter round sooner in the cycle. .22 short unit on the left.

Closed Thread