Mossberg 144US Rear Peep Sight Question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Colt2296

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mossberg 144US Rear Peep Sight Question

I have acquired a Mossberg 144US military trainer. I have obtained a Redfield 75M rear peep sight for it but I don't have the base adapter that goes between the sight and the action. Can anyone point me towards where I can find the adapter block?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Colt, they are out there. But don't come up for sale often. I lucked out and got one from a member awhile back to fill my need. There was also a thread, were someone was modifying another block to fit the mossbergs. But I cant remember who posted it or find the actual post. I will keep looking, and post up if I find it.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:43 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
Colt, they are out there. But don't come up for sale often. I lucked out and got one from a member awhile back to fill my need. There was also a thread, were someone was modifying another block to fit the mossbergs. But I cant remember who posted it or find the actual post. I will keep looking, and post up if I find it.

Doesn't Brownells or someone sell a universal type block that could be modified??
Terry,I'm trying to remember that thread also???
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 06:14 PM
txdude

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Here's the thread on a mount John made for mine. I haven't heard from him or seen any posts lately.

It mounted perfectly.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=439438
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Colt2296

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone for the info. I have a guy that can build one on a lathe but he's pretty pricey! I'm going to continue to look for some discontinued Redfield parts houses and if I can't find one I guess I will have to have one built. I have a S331 on her know but want to go original with the Redfield 75m
Old 08-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Bruce G.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think the correct sight for the 144US is the Redfield 75RT. At least, that is the sight specified in the tech manual for trainer grade target rifles.
I have never seen a base in the wild so to speak. I bought mine from a forum member years ago and have not seen another since.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Colt2296

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Bruce for the info. I see the 513T blocks all the time but no Mossberg
Old 08-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Bruce G.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
FWIW I measured the key characteristics of mine and sketched it out.

R75RTMossBase

I measured my base with a Mitutoyo digital caliper so it is only as precise as that tool and my skill. The C-T-C dimensions for the pairs of holes are documented elsewhere so I used that info. The overall length is 1.25, looks like the base is made from 1/4 x 5/16 bar stock. Bottom is radiused to match the receiver diameter. Top edges are chamfered, ends are radiused. I don't have a good way to measure the depth of the counter bore on the holes for the mounting screws. The screws will need to protrude sufficient to engage 3 threads in the receiver wall but not much more than that or they run the risk of hanging up the bolt.

Joe at Apertures'NMore made mounting screws for me but I think they are similar to a filister head screw.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:22 PM
mac10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
outback gun parts makes the correct mount
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM
gallcpa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is my two bits:

I recently acquired a 144LSB and was dissatisfied with the fact that you had to remove the rear sight to remove the bolt. My solution was to have the receiver drilled/tapped for a Redfield 513T base and use a Redfield 75.

Now I realize that many will disapprove of drilling holes in a US model, and I understand and respect that. I'd feel the same way about a US model. Still, it was a workable solution in my case.

Now if I could just get it to shoot a respectable group. Perhaps I'll ask for recommendations on another thread.

Best wishes to all.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallcpa View Post
Here is my two bits:

I recently acquired a 144LSB and was dissatisfied with the fact that you had to remove the rear sight to remove the bolt. My solution was to have the receiver drilled/tapped for a Redfield 513T base and use a Redfield 75.

Now I realize that many will disapprove of drilling holes in a US model, and I understand and respect that. I'd feel the same way about a US model. Still, it was a workable solution in my case.

Now if I could just get it to shoot a respectable group. Perhaps I'll ask for recommendations on another thread.

Best wishes to all.

The earlier S130 sight,swung out of the way!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Flash92
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallcpa View Post
Here is my two bits:

Best wishes to all.
You went from a LSB to a US model. Which is it?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 AM
gallcpa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash92 View Post
You went from a LSB to a US model. Which is it?
Mine is an LSB. I was trying to say that my solution may not be appropriate for a model that has more of a collectable aspect. Sorry for the confusion.