Best budget scope under $200 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 PM
night_krawler

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Best scope around or under $200

Guys, what is the best scope I can get for around or under $200? Primarily hunting and plinking.

Last edited by night_krawler; 12-12-2015 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM
robmints
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Mueller weaver Nikon and some others have some nice choices. Use? Power range?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Ooeei

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_krawler View Post
Guys, what is the best value scope I can get for under $200?
That depends on what you're going to use it for.

Poke around here:

Scope Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 PM
night_krawler

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Thanks for the link Ooeei. Scope will mostly be used for plinking and hunting 80 yds or less.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Fogie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nikon prostaff rimfire II 3x9
$139 at cabelas, maybe less elsewhere
On all of my hunting .22 rifles except one.
All my .22 rifles are hunting guns.

Last edited by Fogie; 12-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:50 PM
robmints

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
You can find some deals on the TP. I think there is a timberline on there now.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:51 PM
robmints

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I don't think you will beat this

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...do=ad&id=81790
Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Siloshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogie View Post
Nikon prostaff rimfire II 3x9
$139 at cabelas, maybe less elsewhere
On all of my hunting .22 rifles except one.
All my .22 rifles are hunting guns.
+2 on the Nikon 3-9 efr version.
I have two of these. Very bright and clear.
Every one who has looked through my scope has purchased one.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:03 PM
trout48
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I jut picked up a Mueller tactical 8.5x25x44 for 139.60 today from opticsplanet great deal and a great scope. It will be going on my 455 FS 17 wmr.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Here's an even better deal on that Nikon, $119.95 with free two day shipping:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-pr...iflescope.html

I have bought from Optics Planet in the past and completely trust them.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:46 PM
CJ_74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How does the rimfire version of the ProStaff compare to the original version? I have 2 of the originals but I've never seen them nearly as low as Onearm found. Cheapest I've seen them was $149 at Wally world. I bought 2 of them. They are pretty good scopes IMO. They work very well in low light, they never lose zero, and the glass is clear. I wish it had AO but when I bought mine very few scopes had AO. It's been a while. If I was to buy another scope in that power and price range I'd get another Nikon without thinking twice.

BTW that is an excellent deal on the Burris scope mentioned in the other thread. Buying used scopes can be a great way to get better quality for less money. My problem is I don't see very many used good used scopes. People hang onto them until they die because a good scope is good on any rifle. I did get a Weaver T-36 used once. Got a great deal on that. It's always best to buy used scopes with forever warranties on them like Weaver does.

Last edited by CJ_74; 12-11-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:50 PM
robmints

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Nikon has realigned their naming system a little. It is hard for me to keep up with what is new, old, renamed? It used to be prostaff, buckmaster, monarch type names. Now it's prostaff I II 4 5 I think monarch is still in there somewhere. It is hard to tell what you are comparing because some websites and stores have things correctly labeled, some don't.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Siloshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onearm View Post
Here's an even better deal on that Nikon, $119.95 with free two day shipping:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-pr...iflescope.html

I have bought from Optics Planet in the past and completely trust them.
That scope has a 50 yard parallax, just keep that in mind.
The scope I am referring to focuses down to 10 yards and is more expensive. It also has won a Brilliance award on Optics Planet.
Yes, Nikon has changed its naming system and it is a little confusing.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-pr...fle-scope.html
Old 12-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_74 View Post
How does the rimfire version of the ProStaff compare to the original version? I have 2 of the originals but I've never seen them nearly as low as Onearm found. Cheapest I've seen them was $149 at Wally world. I bought 2 of them. They are pretty good scopes IMO. They work very well in low light, they never lose zero, and the glass is clear. I wish it had AO but when I bought mine very few scopes had AO. It's been a while. If I was to buy another scope in that power and price range I'd get another Nikon without thinking twice.

BTW that is an excellent deal on the Burris scope mentioned in the other thread. Buying used scopes can be a great way to get better quality for less money. My problem is I don't see very many used good used scopes. People hang onto them until they die because a good scope is good on any rifle. I did get a Weaver T-36 used once. Got a great deal on that. It's always best to buy used scopes with forever warranties on them like Weaver does.
Just personal opinion from owning the original like you have and seeing the rimfire II at store and whats been posted. The original was better,more light transmission,fast focus eye piece would be the two main things. The rimfire II is a good value but I can get the fast focus model little clearer. The rimfire II 4-12 made it little more noticeable,I couldn't get it as clear as I would like in the store. If you don't need the bcc reticle the nikon efr seams to be a big hit at the 180.00-190.00 range. haven't tried one yet as I can't find one in the store but I will probably buy one eventually. If both models were still in the store I think I would pay the extra 30.00 for the original personally but wouldn't cry if I had the II
Old 12-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_74 View Post

BTW that is an excellent deal on the Burris scope mentioned in the other thread. Buying used scopes can be a great way to get better quality for less money. My problem is I don't see very many used good used scopes. People hang onto them until they die because a good scope is good on any rifle. I did get a Weaver T-36 used once. Got a great deal on that.
I bought a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope for my Savage Model 19 NRA (how's that for a model name). I later gave that rifle to my older son. He kept it on the rifle for five years, with no complaints, until recently when he replaced it with a Bushnell 3-9X40 Wideview that I bought here on RFC for $50.