CCI Velocitor accuracy ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:07 PM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
CCI Velocitor accuracy ?

I'm looking to hear from you guys that have or do shoot CCI Velocitors out of your model 60's or 99's. How is the accuracy ?
YES I ALREADY KNOW ! they are hard on the gun.. I won't be shooting them just plinking. Hunting only.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM
svriderpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't used them yet. I've heard that they are less accurate than mini-mags and the like, but still accurate enough for hunting.

I've considered using them for hunting too, but I'm not sure that they fit any actual roll. They seem too light for coyotes, and iirc, they are a fragmenting bullet, so they will ruin a lot of small game meat that any hollow point should do just as good a job of harvesting. I do like the idea of smaller lighter bullets that travel faster than larger heavier ones, but a 30 grain (or is it less?) bullet that is designed to tear itself apart upon impact may not make it very far past a thick fur pelt. I worry that they won't have enough penetration for a quick kill.

I'm not trying to talk you out of using them, but what do you like about them?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
WHO DAT 504
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svriderpokey View Post
I haven't used them yet. I've heard that they are less accurate than mini-mags and the like, but still accurate enough for hunting.

I've considered using them for hunting too, but I'm not sure that they fit any actual roll. They seem too light for coyotes, and iirc, they are a fragmenting bullet, so they will ruin a lot of small game meat that any hollow point should do just as good a job of harvesting. I do like the idea of smaller lighter bullets that travel faster than larger heavier ones, but a 30 grain (or is it less?) bullet that is designed to tear itself apart upon impact may not make it very far past a thick fur pelt. I worry that they won't have enough penetration for a quick kill.

I'm not trying to talk you out of using them, but what do you like about them?
I think you may have the Velocitor confused with something else.
It's a 40 gr bullet @ 1435 fps, and CCI states it's supposed to have near 100% weight retention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I

I like that they are a 40 grain bullet at over 1400 fps. I live in the middle of the Woods and can hunt yotes year round from my front porch. I would keep my shots at 75 to 100yrds. I have 3 or 4 dens right close to my cabin. I could use centerfire but would just as soon keep things as quite as I can. I just thought with the given terminal performance of the round it would be ideal for what I am wanting to do. It looks like I will just pick some up and try them. I guess no one else with a micro grove has or they just dont like them. I also have a friend that works in a plastics and rubber factory and I am getting a sheet of rubber as thick as the buffer in my Marlin so I can cut a softer buffer to help take the bite out of the velocitors. I think its time that somebody came out with a little bit softer buffer for the Marlin anyway !
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
svriderpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHO DAT 504 View Post
I think you may have the Velocitor confused with something else.
It's a 40 gr bullet @ 1435 fps, and CCI states it's supposed to have near 100% weight retention.
I'm actually glad to hear that.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
svriderpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup. I was confusing it with the stingers. 32 grain segmented hollow point 1640 fps.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0050

Sorry about that.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cant get them to shoot well out of any of my LR rifles, might use mini mags if accuracy is poor, might be a good excuse to buy a 22 mag or 223 rifle.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
?

Well I gave the 22 mag some thought. But for the price of 22 mag ammo and a new rifle I was hopeing to here good things about the velocitors.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM
svriderpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinBullseye View Post
might be a good excuse to buy a 22 mag or 223 rifle.
Not in my neighborhood, not the .223 anyway. They allow night time hunting and spotlighting of coyote from January 1st to March 31st with .22 cal rimfire up here. So a good (relatively) high power .22lr is good to have. 22 mag is still a good idea, but you can't always get what you want, as they say.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Please let us know the results of your testing Velocitors w/ your Marlin semi-auto.

I have a box of this ammo that I'll be trying out in my bolt guns, it sounds like a win-win high-energy loading for us .22 LR folks.
However, I might take the time to check them out in my Papoose if they work OK for you.

Regards,
Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
mmatt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently shot some Velocitors through my 795 at 50 yards. I shot five 5 shot groups and got an average of just under 1". My best group was .683" (the one in the pic with no number next to it - I cut it off with the cam) and my worst was 1.6" but I'm pretty sure the "operator" was more at fault than the gun or ammo.

I'd be more than comfortable shooting yotes out to 100 yards with them.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatt View Post
I recently shot some Velocitors through my 795 at 50 yards. I shot five 5 shot groups and got an average of just under 1". My best group was .683" (the one in the pic with no number next to it - I cut it off with the cam) and my worst was 1.6" but I'm pretty sure the "operator" was more at fault than the gun or ammo.

I'd be more than comfortable shooting yotes out to 100 yards with them.
Thank you for the info. If you dont mind me asking. What kind of 50 yrd groups do you get with other ammo ?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
mmatt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well let's see here:

(all are 5 shot groups shot at 50 yards with a 9x scope with parallax set properly)

RWS Target Rifle (Sport Line) - 0.471"

Eley 10X - 0.475"

Blazers (50 rnd box) - 0.678"

DynaPoint - 0.864"

Winchester 555 bulk pack - 0.877"

Stinger - 0.934"

American Eagle 40gr - 1.10"

I gotta get some more different brands of ammo to see if I can find anything in bulk that shoots better. I think I might try Federal bulk pack next along with some Winchester Xperts.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 PM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Post wow.

Looks like the velocitors shot ver well. I can not find any locally so I will have to order some and wait for the shipping.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
jbdesigns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if you can get the velociters to shoot well for you, then they would be fine. for me, and to be fair I don't hunt, but I would want an ammo that I am 100% confident goes exactly where I want it too. no matter what it is, if I hit in the head, it's dead. right?

so, a normal HV round or even a subsonic Hollow point would be fine, IMO. I know my brain wouldn't take a subsonic Hollow point and survive, how could a little animal make it?

hope Im not nuts if the time comes that I have to shoot some critters.