Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Deerhunter61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So what is the value...?

I've been reading that the MK IIIs aren't holding their value etc but I haven't seen anyone actually put a value on them. So how much would YOU pay for a target hunter with the long, 6", barrel? What would you consider to be a good deal?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 PM
transalp1961

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Ruger Mark III Hunter

One just sold on Ruger Forum with a red dot for $385, which I would consider is a good buy.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=41&t=255024
Old 05-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Sonicblaze

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not quite the same, but I bought a brand new MK III 22/45 5.5" for $239 and thought that was a great deal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Deerhunter61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalp1961 View Post
One just sold on Ruger Forum with a red dot for $385, which I would consider is a good buy.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=41&t=255024
I think that is a little beyond a "good buy"...I'd say it was a great buy.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:48 AM
mdauben

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, I'd consider the Mark III the least desirable of all the Ruger "Mark" Pistols, now. Unless it was a screaming value I'd rather have the new Mark IV. YMMV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 02:29 PM
UncleFester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Personally, I'd consider the Mark III the least desirable of all the Ruger "Mark" Pistols, now. Unless it was a screaming value I'd rather have the new Mark IV. YMMV.

I am happy that I got rid of my Mark III before the Mark IV came out.

I might buy an "old" Mark pistol, but it won't be a Mark III. They simply aren't classic enough to put up with the PITA takedown.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:14 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
If I was going to buy an older Mark, it would be a Mark II unless th eMakr III is really cheap...
Old 05-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Deerhunter61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post

So you'd spend $580+ for a MK IV target hunter before you'd spend $380+ for a MK III target hunter? And the pricing above is just what I've seen online.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:55 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter61 View Post
So you'd spend $580+ for a MK IV target hunter before you'd spend $380+ for a MK III target hunter? And the pricing above is just what I've seen online.
It's not just the Easy takedown on the MArk IV which makes it a btetter value.

Consider the bolt stop lever, the safety button, LCI filler that you are going to buy to make it function like a Mark IV, the cost will be much higher... and oh, how about the cumbersome takedown???

This is my advice from (NOT A 45 YEAR EXPERIENCE WIRH RUGER MARK PISTOLS) experience, if someone is starting out, go for the MArk IV, unless a similar Mark III model sells for $200.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 PM
JR47
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From the Majestic Arms web-site, the Speed Strip kit is $49.00. The rest mentioned is simply not something that everyone cares about. I own Mk.I, Mk.II, and Mk.III guns. I'm not seeing how any of those "improvements" beyond the one-button take-down make a huge difference.

The guns aren't going to be used in Combat. I've been shooting them since the middle 1950's. Never needed to manipulate an y of the controls in a combat type situation.

As for the take-down issues, it seems more a problem with a lack of mechanical ability than anything else. The Speed Strip solved that. In fact, the Speed Strip can be configured to remove the magazine safety.

The Mk. IV is certainly a more modern approach. However, how many of us have a real need for all of the improvements?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:10 PM
mdauben

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter61 View Post
No, I wouldn't spend that much for either pistol. I spent less than $380 for my Mk III Competition model brand new just a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 PM
ChattanoogaPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I'll just keep my MarkIII.

Value? Who can put a value on this much fun...

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-21-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:31 PM
BigYoung

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Hey Phil,

Great setup. I'm about to cut down a MKIII 5.5 target for a suppressor.

What length did you cut your barrel to?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Deerhunter61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
I think I'll just keep my MarkIII.

Value? Who can put a value on this much fun...

Very nice! So did it reduce the noise a lot? Can/do you shoot it without ear protection?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Deerhunter61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And by the way, I picked up a Target Hunter for 380 last week. I believe it was a good deal and the truth is that's all that really matters...I've wanted one for a couple of years but haven't been willing to spend what they were going for before the IVs came out. It did require a good cleaning but otherwise it's A OK. I've shot it twice putting about fifty rounds down range and it shoots good but not as good as my two target slab sides....but then the III has a red dot and the II has a scope on it. I'm waiting for the base to come in and will start with a red dot first, if it performs the way I want it to it will stay on it, if not then I'll put the scope on it.

As for all the complaints about the IIIs...if someone wants to sell one or two for $200-250 I'm certainly interested....I mean that's what a lot of guys seem to think they're worth....so I'm definitely interested in checking them out at that price.