SS 22 mag with 22 mag rifle, hunting? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 PM
cuttyfish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SS 22 mag with 22 mag rifle, hunting?

Does any one carry their single six while hunting with a 22 mag rifle? The single six is for those close range shots that turn up from time to time. When a close scoped rifle shot presents problems or is just not practical. Mine is a stainless 5.5 inch barrel with the 22 mag cyclinder installed. It shoots CCI maxi mag Hp's at 1340 FPS. I have had some close shots with it. Enough to make me carry it on every trip. I carry it in a pancake holster that converts to cross draw if needed. So far only pigeons and G-hogs have fallen to the single six.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Lefty Dude
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My only question is finding a round they both will shoot accurate.
My RSS with the mag cylinder has a very picky choice of fodder. Maxi-Mags are not on it's list. The choice being Winchester Supreme, the piece has a fondness for the expensive stuff. However on the low side, Winchester Dyna-points digest well.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 PM
cuttyfish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22mag ssingle six with 22 mag rifle

My rifle loves the Hornady 30 v maxes. With the single six I just picked the ammo that shot closest to the sights, then made a few minor ajustments to fine tune it. That ammo turned out to be the CCI maxi mag. I have about 70rounds of it on hand but have not found any lately. Go figure! So I do have carry two different types of ammo. As a side note, I have found carrying the pistol motivates me to get closer to try use it. Stalking G-hogs has become challenging but worth while. I have become a better hunter while trying to get closer. The rifle is a 100 optimum and 150 yard max weapon. the pistol is a30yards and in deal. But one pigeon did get dumped at a ranged 52 yards. I was very lucky and he was unlucky. Either way, I am having a ball with those two guns. the pistol has really added to the fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM
greywolf444

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I carry mine as a companion to a henry 22 mag. real nice pair. At the ranges I can hit with the pistol it really doesn't need to be a maggie but I like things in sets. The 22 mag does 90% of all I need done with either a rifle or pistol.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:11 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Talking similar

Though I seldom hunt with the 22mag cylinder I usually carry my 9 1/2"SS when squirrel hunting with my scoped Contender or scoped rifle for the same reasons.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 AM
wyosasquatch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my plan this spring. I am chasing turkeys with my wife and kids. I will pack my Single Six with the mag cylinder along with my CZ 455 american with a 22 mag barrel on it. I would like to shoot a turkey with my single six if possible.

Sasq.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Combat Diver
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have in the past when I had a Marlin 783 in .22 mag. That Marlin was a tack driver with either CCI or Win ammo. My 5.5" blue Single Six with the mag cylinder is also way more accurate then the .22LR cylinder and hits point of aim at 25 yds.

CD
Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 AM
cuttyfish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22mag rifle, ruger SS 22mag pistol

Packing both rifle and pistol is standard operating procedure for me now. I do not use the pistol much but when I end in close range to a G-hog it becomes my primary death stick! It add an new challenge to my varmint hunting and I do love the having a plan B.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 AM
critterman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Ss .22 mag

I Coyote hunt with a Savage 24 .22 wmrf over .20 gauge I always carry my 5.5 ss with the mag cylinder so I can share ammo from pistol to rifle makes things easy
Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I am predator calling is one of the times I like to have the Single Six close with the Mags in it. Its great for those sneaky bobcats that sometimes get close...OK it has happened 2 times and both times I didn't have a tag for Bobcat.....but I had the pistol incase they weren't convinced by my talking and waving of hands, that I wasn't just a huge rabbit pretending to be a hunter......

I also use the rifle-revolver team when doing spot and stalk bunny hunts....the Single Six is great for the close up shots when I get closer than planned or find one close that I hadn't seen before.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 PM
critterman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Smile bob cat tag

I have never heard of having a Bob cat tag in texas its open season year around no bag limit . If you are selling the fur the buyer puts a citits tag for body count. .22 Mag is real good cat gun
Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Larry in Bend

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't own a 22 Mag rifle but I carry this SS Mag very often when hunting with a 22 LR or a 17 HMR or even a 223. When I'm not carrying it; it's in the farm pickup.

OP --- I killed a pigeon with mine yesterday (It refused to leave a grain bin) and a Ground Squirrel this AM. It's killed many Rattlers and Skunks and Raccoons and a few Porcupine over the years, also.

Mine doesn't group well with the CCI Maxis that you use -- but it does less than an inch @ 25 yards (3 shots) with WW 40 grain JHP or WW 34 grain. I keep it sighted in for the 40 grainers as I have more of those and 22 Mag ammo is tough to come by around here.

Last edited by Larry in Bend; 06-25-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Bloodhound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterman View Post
I have never heard of having a Bob cat tag in texas its open season year around no bag limit . If you are selling the fur the buyer puts a citits tag for body count. .22 Mag is real good cat gun
Oh yes....here in Colorado we have a season for everything and a license that must be purchased.....

Bobcats and badgers and many other critters are "Furbearers"($21) and require a different license than the standard "Small Game"($21) for bunny, blue grouse and tree rats. And if you have a small game tag, then if you see a bobcat, you cannot take it unless you have also purchased a furbearers tag.

they do give us a break on coyotes...they can be taken with either tag...but you do have to have a license to hunt them...and prarie dogs too...and there is a set season....

And all licenses...including fishing, require the purchase of a State Wildlife Area (trespass fee) even though you don't use the SWAs

The Colorado parks and wildlife has it down to a science on how to get the most money from hunters and then hide it away by buying up land for SWA tracts and then closing them to public access 9 months out of the year...so as not to disturb the wildlife......

Since 1998 I have been "checked" by an officer in the field 5 times...each time after they were done checking my license and weapons, they admitted to me that they were not hunters themselves...one of them went so far as to tell me that she considered the animals in the state hers and I should feel lucky to get to hunt one or two of her animals per year.........

Sorry...I'll get off my soapbox now....Colorado wildlife is one of the topics that gets me fired up....
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM
CharlieB

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterman View Post
.22 Mag is real good cat gun
Indeed ^^^

22mag's a great round. I've had one in one form or the other since the early 70's.
My Henry rifle's by far the most accurate I've owned and makes a great companion to the single six. I load the revolver with snake shot in the summer and 50gr Fed's the rest of the time for home defense. (I'm not very "tactical" LOL)

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Bloodhound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
Indeed ^^^

22mag's a great round. I've had one in one form or the other since the early 70's.
My Henry rifle's by far the most accurate I've owned and makes a great companion to the single six. I load the revolver with snake shot in the summer and 50gr Fed's the rest of the time for home defense. (I'm not very "tactical" LOL)

Nice cat! And great looking pups!